Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helicopter over D6/D14 last night

Options
  • 15-01-2008 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭

A helicopter spent about 15 mins hovering over Dartry / D14 at approximately midnight last night. Any idea what was going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Most likely the guards,they annoyingly do it in the area I live in regularly,sometimes with the searchlight scanning the area. Very noisey and annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

only the gards and air corps can fly at night so was deffo them

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chiron

anto-t wrote: »
    only the gards and air corps can fly at night so was deffo them

Not true, but it probably was the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

In D14 myself....didn't hear the helicopter but there was a lot of sirens (Gardai and Ambulances I think) around midnight near where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Was wondering why Dublin 8 was so quite last night, didn't have that fecking helicopter flying around all night, just during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I figured that it must be the Gardai, but I didn't hear any sirens or the like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I live not too far from Dunsink, and the helicopter is over the area virtually every night. Its like living near a train line you just get used to the noise after a while.
    I dont begrudge it either, as long as they're up there, the scumbags are under pressure which suits me!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It was Airwolf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Chiron wrote: »
    Not true, but it probably was the Gardai.

As far as I know all civilian helicopters are only allowed fly under visual flight rules, which excludes them from flying at night.

The only ones you should hear at night are either the Air Corps, the Gardai or the Coast Guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

The Guards unveiled a new chopper during the week so maybe the boyos were bringing it on a test spin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Jakey

They can fly IFR too if qualified and equipped, there is a private helipad equipped for night op's in Galway.

gatecrash wrote: »
    As far as I know all civilian helicopters are only allowed fly under visual flight rules, which excludes them from flying at night.

The only ones you should hear at night are either the Air Corps, the Gardai or the Coast Guard.

gatecrash wrote: »

Civilian aircraft, both fixed and rotary, are allowed to operate at night under special VFR within a control zone.

Just as a point of interest the Coast Guard helicopters are on the civilian register.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Just as a point of interest the Coast Guard helicopters are on the civilian register.

The Coast Guard helicopter service is currently run by a civilian contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭youtheman

Believe it or not, Ireland has had a boom in helicopter owenership recently and it now has one of the highest aircraft per population in Europe. And I'm talking about some seriously expensive kit (A109s are now as common as muck).

The Garda chopper is maintained, operated and flown by the Air Corps. It is 'single pilot' and I'm not sure if it is SPIFR rated (single pilot instrument flight rules). I assume it is oparted VFR most of the time (not much point trying to find a car thief in IFR conditions).

The Air Corps also have a fleet of aircraft (all fairly new so and IFR rated).

Irish Helicopters operate a Bolkow 105 for The Commissionsre of Irish Lights. I believe they have a new EC135 on order.

CHC operate SAR Sikorski S61s on behalf of The Coast Guard.

CHC also operate a Dauphin in Cork in support of the gas platforms offshore (IFR rated).

The Coast Guard helicopter service is currently run by a civilian contractor.

Yes, hence the civilian registrations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

dubtom wrote: »
    Most likely the guards,they annoyingly do it in the area I live in regularly,sometimes with the searchlight scanning the area. Very noisey and annoying.

You wouldn't be annoyed if they were searching for the scumbag that just robbed your house. I had 4 squad cars and the chopper searching for a scumbag that ran into my estate and into the back gardens just last week. I was out helping them search. It could be my house/car he tries to rob or crashes into next !

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You wouldn't be annoyed if they were searching for the scumbag that just robbed your house. I had 4 squad cars and the chopper searching for a scumbag that ran into my estate and into the back gardens just last week. I was out helping them search. It could be my house/car he tries to rob or crashes into next !
    This needs to be balanced with keeping serveral thousand people awake for an extended period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Victor wrote: »
    This needs to be balanced with keeping serveral thousand people awake for an extended period.

I just sleep through the copper chopper now.

But, when the 1916 military parade was on last easter 3 or 4 air corp helicopters spent 25 minutes doing laps in a circle over Rathmines Barracks waiting for the government jet to show up for the fly by. It sounded like something out of a Vietnam film.

Advertisement