Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another night bus.

Options
  • 15-01-2008 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭

I know this has been discussed before but I've never heard anyone mention this one so thought it might be a valuable bit of information! Bus Eireann runs a night bus on the weekends from dublin at 00.30 and 03.30. My brother got it a few weeks ago and was raving about it. He said it was really quick too!

http://www.buseireann.ie/site/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/local/133N.pdf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

Thanks for that. Do you need to buy a ticket beforehand or pay on the bus ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

You just pay on the bus.

I just emailed bus eireann and in case anyone is interested there is a pick up point outside Donnybrook church.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

does it definitely go through Charlesland? - I know it says so on the timetable, but this service has been running for some time and it used to just go straight down the N11. It seems odd that it now diverts into Delgany and Charlesland before heading back to the N11.

Well it definately went through Delgany as my brother got it and it stopped outside the Delgany arms.

I presume they've updated the route.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hiro N

yeah it definitely goes through charlesland i've gotten this bus a few times, its actually run by Alpine coaches - picks up outside trinity (same stop as finnegans) about 12.40 and 3.40, comes straight out on N11/M11 then turns off for bray, goes thru bray town then back out on N11 where it turns off for delgany/charlesland before heading to wicklow town - 3.40 one gets to charlesland around 4.15 - it's brill plus its warm and shows the simpsons all the way!

I finally used this service over the weekend and I can confirm its brilliance. Its a bit pricier (€10) than the 84n or finnegans but its very quick (40 mins from Trinity to Charlesland), and the 0030 service is a handy time if you're not planning on staying out all night. They drop off anywhere between Delgany and the rugby club if you're going elsewhere in Greystones. Plus they were showing Family Guy on the screen!

In the words of Krusty the Clown, "I heartily endorse this event or product"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Dont suppose it stops anywhere near Leeson st for the folks out that direction??

Nope, it stops outside Trinity and Merrion Square outside Donnybrook Church, the belfield flyover and Stillorgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Does it go through Greystones, ie Windgates, Blacklion etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

There's a link in the original post!
    Wicklow Nightrider
    Operates Friday & Saturday
    Departs Busáras, Dublin at 00.30hrs & 03.30hrs
    For Merrion Square*, Stillorgan*, Bray*, Kilmacangue, Newtownmountkennedy, Newcastle, Ashford & Rathnew
    Departs Wicklow at 01.45 hrs & 04.45hrs
    For Same Route to Dublin
    Fare €10

Windgates and Blacklion are serviced by Dublin Bus (84N)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

Anyone know exactly where this bus stops when departing town and merrion, donnybrook....just so i dont miss it, couldnt find it on the website. any ideas how to get home any other nights than sat and sun apart from a taxi?..

It stops at Trinity, the stop is opposite Spar, the same stop as Finnegans. The Merrion stop is outside the hotel (can't remember the name of it.....) The Donnybrook stop is the stop at Donnybrook church.

Finnegans run on a Thursday but other than that you're only option is going home early on the dart or a taxi....

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

Thanks Wingding. Maybe the Mont Clare/Davenport or is it the Merrion Hotel? Is there a sign/symbol indicating the Finnegans bus stop at Trinity?

It's the mont clare. There's no sign for the finnegans bus. If you're getting Finnegans keep your eyes peeled for a red bus. There'll be plenty of people getting on. If you're getting the Bus Eireann bus there may not be anyone waiting so keep an eye out for a coach and throw out your hand. He's a very nice driver so if you're anywhere near the stop he'll stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

When people say the stop is outside Trinity, do you mean along Nassau St?
    Also where in Delgany does it stop? Does it go into the village, or just around past the Wicklow Arms?

bad news bump

this service is now cancelled - not enough people using it I guess.
    http://www.buseireann.ie/news.php?id=658&month=Sep

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Loopers

I know!! I was so disappointed when I saw the advertisment on Bus Eireann website but I expected it to be honest. I've gotten it a few times at 12.30 a.m. and there have been about 3 people on the bus including me!! I really think they could have advertised it better with a flyer drop in the area or something. :(

it is a real pain in the ass though - now if you miss (deliberately or otherwise) the last Dart at 2330, the next bus to Greystones is at 2am, and it doesn't go to Charlesland. You're right - it wasn't well promoted. Don't think people in Wicklow Town knew much about it either.

This is awful news. I loved that bus. And I hate the Finegans bus... wouldn't be so bad if the 84N went to Charlesland....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

You mean i could have been getting a luxury bus that gets me home in 40 minutes instead of that stinking Finnegan's bus that i would need a shave by the time it gets me home!

Advertise is right i have only found out about it today after the feckin thing is scraped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 BouncyCastleMan

I used to use this service regularly and though it was great. It made going into town so convenient. But as people have said it really was not advertised and it was always empty.

Maybe Alpine the bus company that had the contract might decide to do it themselves and if they advertised it on the Charlesland shuttle service they might get more users.

Does anyone know if Dublin bus plan to extend the 84N route to Charlesland?

Does anyone know if Dublin bus plan to extend the 84N route to Charlesland?

I have no idea and wouldn't imagine the good people of Boards will either.

The best thing to would be to email or call them.

Here's a link to get some contact details for Dublin Bus http://www.dublinbus.ie/home/

I emailed dublin bus a while back and they said there ws no plans to extend it. This was a good while back now. Wish they would, it's only an extra 2 minutes for them...

wingding wrote: »
    Wish they would, it's only an extra 2 minutes for them...

+1 and i would imagine that more people would use the service in-turn them getting a slightly bigger turnover.

True, I don't get that bus ever. I don;t mind walking but i wouldn't feel safe that time of night. My only option is the Finnegans bus at 3am... I'd be quicker walking!:p

might be worth emailing them to ask. At present the 84N goes as far as the DART station then the driver does a u-turn and heads back into town via Bray. It wouldn't add more than a few minutes to return to town via the SAR, dropping off at Charlesland and Eden Gate on the way, and thus serving an extra 3000 potential customers.

Although, any time I've taken the 84N there's been no more than a handful of people still on it by the time it reaches Greystones, so I don't imagine its a money-spinner for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

loyatemu wrote: »
    might be worth emailing them to ask. At present the 84N goes as far as the DART station then the driver does a u-turn and heads back into town via Bray. It wouldn't add more than a few minutes to return to town via the SAR, dropping off at Charlesland and Eden Gate on the way, and thus serving an extra 3000 potential customers.

Although, any time I've taken the 84N there's been no more than a handful of people still on it by the time it reaches Greystones, so I don't imagine its a money-spinner for them.
    You could expand it even further... If it's to go up the SAR it could make it's final stop at the cement facility at the top, thus serving Kilpeddar also.

• Advertisement

true. actually I think the main problem with the 84N is that the first one doesn't run until 2am - this is ridiculously late, there should be one at 1am when the pubs close, but Finnegans would probably object to this...

Advertisement