Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bathroom

Options
  • 15-01-2008 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭

Folks, i will be changing my bathroom in the next couple of weeks.

From going to showrooms and then looking on the web there seems to be a real saving to be made from buying from the UK.

Has anybody bought bathroom fixtures, jet bath, power shower etc. from the Uk and had any hastle installing same ?

Edit: I already have an electric shower in another bathroom and want a pumped, tank fed one in this room. Would 1.5bar pump be suffecient or should i go for the 3bar one ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

If you want a tank fed shower then just buy the complete shower unit with the pump included (you don't have to worry about the pump rating).

Having two electric showers will push your electrics to the limit (possibly). You may find that your wiring is not rated for this load. You may have to wire them such that the two cannot be possibly on together.

The MCB (Main Circuit Breaker) on my house is 63 Amps, the cooker is 32 Amp, Immersion 22 Amp. I believe my shower is 22Amp. A washing machine or kettle is not far off 13 Amp. You can see that adding a second shower might tip the lot over the edge.

The main MCB is there is protect the wiring, so just putting in a bigger MCB is not the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

youtheman wrote: »
    If you want a tank fed shower then just buy the complete shower unit with the pump included (you don't have to worry about the pump rating).

Having two electric showers will push your electrics to the limit (possibly). You may find that your wiring is not rated for this load. You may have to wire them such that the two cannot be possibly on together.

The MCB (Main Circuit Breaker) on my house is 63 Amps, the cooker is 32 Amp, Immersion 22 Amp. I believe my shower is 22Amp. A washing machine or kettle is not far off 13 Amp. You can see that adding a second shower might tip the lot over the edge.

The main MCB is there is protect the wiring, so just putting in a bigger MCB is not the solution.

I dont want another electric shower, already have one in this bathroom, circut board is already fitted with one of those shower boxes (master/slave) so only 1 can be activated at a time.

What i want is a shower that is fed from my HWC via a pump. Dont want an intregrated unit.

Then I reckon a 3 bar pump is what you want. You need to ensure that the pipework and fittings downstream of the pump are rated, and tested, for this operating pressure. Make sure your shower mixer is also rated for the pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

thing is i dont want overkill, not much difference price wise, give or take a few beers. Plumber will be fitting it, along with a new and bigger HWC. I dont "do" water, too much can go wrong ! :D

Since it is only for the shower would the 3bar pump empty the tank too fast, or strip the skin from my back ! or can it be adjusted down, i suppose it depends on the model really ?

It's important that you look at what flow the pump can deliver at the 3 bar. The mixer and shower head then need to be rated accordingly.

I can tell you that you will get a power shower, complete with integral pump, at a fraction of the cost of a 3 bar pump and thermostatic mixer. 300 euros will buy you the pumped electric shower.

If you add the cost of a new cylinder you're into serious money.

You'll need electrical mods for either option (3 bar pump versus electric shower), so this should even out.

I can't see why you would want a new cylinder, unless you are going to sleep in the shower.

The advantage of the electric shower is instant heat, and no waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,156 ✭✭✭✭muffler

oops - wrong forum Im in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

1.5 bar will suffice for just 1 - 2 showers.

There are different booster pumps available, if you intend on boosting the hot and cold water pressure throughout the house for taps aswell you will need a twin empeller booster pump. If its just for the hotwater alone a single empeller conected to the feed of the tank is required, but you would need a pressurised cylinder in your hotpress for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

snyper wrote: »
    1.5 bar will suffice for just 1 - 2 showers.

There are different booster pumps available, if you intend on boosting the hot and cold water pressure throughout the house for taps aswell you will need a twin empeller booster pump. If its just for the hotwater alone a single empeller conected to the feed of the tank is required, but you would need a pressurised cylinder in your hotpress for that.

Boosting just one feed is usually a bad idea, the difference in pressures can make it hard to get a good temperature.
    I'd always use twin feed.

Heres another question.
    Why dont people use a single feed from the cold tank in the attic?
    That would pressurize both the cold and hot feeds (pressure on cold input to HWC will pressurize the hot output) throughout the house...
    Or did I miss something?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dgosul

is it HASTLE or Hassle????????/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

dgosul wrote: »

Hassle.
    Hastle seems to be a quasi-American spelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,156 ✭✭✭✭muffler

dgosul wrote: »
    hassle as in David Hasslehoff ;)

Advertisement