Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delicate leaf shredding problem

Options
  • 15-01-2008 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I am doing research into Miscanthus and in order to do this, I need to shred several clusters of miscanthus leaves into mulch-like size. I would also need to clean the machine to prevent cross-contamination between the different batches of leaves.

Can anybody help me out with this? I've looked at leaf vacuums that also shred "10:1" ratio; however, I'm on a very tight budget and need to be sure if that will do the job.

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Wherever chance you might have of shredding dried ie brown leaf, I would expect that fresh ie green leaf Miscanthus would be impossible to shred especially on a tight budget. Certainly wouldn't advise putting such material near a garden vac unless you want to end up with a complete mess.

There is a great risk of Miscanthus snagging chippers and even then I would say that only industrials chippers with very sharp blades in PWO would be capable of shredding Miscanthus.

Great risk of severely snagging cutters.

If it is freshly cut, recommend storing and shred at a later date, when all moisture has gone and leaves are more brittle and likely to break easier.

Advertisement