Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo's magic, self-cleaning portaloo arrives.

• 15-01-2008 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭

Just heard today that Sligo corporation have found somewhere to put the much vaunted, long awaited, glorified portaloo, designed to meet all of Sligo's fecal and urinary needs. After several years debate, the corporation has finally found the right spot. It was chosen for it's convienience to the "city" center, general accessability and ease of finding for visitors to the town. The new site, where apparently it was installed in a low key manner (you'll know why in a minute) is the Mitchell-Curley Park. The park is a mere 25 minute walk from the town center and situated on the well known, main Sligo to Drinaghan road. It will be found extremely useful by the many thousands of tour buses which travel this road each year, and of course tight sphinctered marathon runners caught short in the town center. Lets hear it for Sligo Corporation, who've really excelled themselves this time.:confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Fraid that looks like people may still be pming you Sueme to use your loo. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Did they give any reason for putting it out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

They couldn't find a suitable location elsewhere. Got objections to other proposals. All different ways of saying inept. It's 1.3 miles from the GPO on a back road out of town. Idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

il gatto wrote: »
    They couldn't find a suitable location elsewhere. Got objections to other proposals. All different ways of saying inept. It's 1.3 miles from the GPO on a back road out of town. Idiots.
    *boggles* :eek:

Maybe they were aiming for the centre of the town but got caught short...;)
    Stupid really you'd need a car to get there and then you'd need a car park... Doh!
    Do they ever do any consultation with the general public on anything? You could have done a straw poll of 20 people in Tescos car park and they would have told them it was daft. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Is this real...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

where exactly is this park?

Out by the Showgrounds, up past Murrays shop, straight through Ballydoogan and about 50m past the enterance to St. Mary's GAA club on the right hand side. It's only open a couple of years and they already plan to put a new road through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The muppets, couldn't run a p up in a brewery.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

ah yes, i know it now. why would they put it there.
    ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What a shit idea.

One of the councillors said on Ocean FM that it's been there for a number of years. I don't think that's true as that was never mentioned when the magic portaloo came up in fairly recent discussions. I suppose they kept it quiet because if the general populace found out, they'd be a laughing stock. You think they'd be used to that by now. Dirtiest town in Ireland and it's only public toilet is in a remote park on the outskirts of town. What the hell is our tax money paying them €20,000-€30,000 a year to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Why can't they put it where the old one was at Gilhooly hall (Across from Cathedral?)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

I think my little bro and his mates hang out in that Park, I'm sure they'll be delighted. (somewhere to graffiti no doubt)

Don't they play bowls up there? mostly older ppl, they need a toilet right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

ems_12 wrote: »
    Don't they play bowls up there? mostly older ppl, they need a toilet right?
    :eek: ehh no!
    Its kids mainly.
    Does anyone play bowls in Ireland?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

That has to be a Joke? Sure they could find somewhere in town for it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Snark

There has been a portaloo in the park for a year or two; however, i don't believe that it has a maintenance fee of approx €10k which this tardis has.

What councillor said that on OceanFM?

Gillie wrote: »
    Its kids mainly.
    Road bowls indigenous to the country. Grants to promote bowling as form of exercise for older people have made general bowling very popular also.
    Ironically, the best forced exercise that all ages will get in Sligo is trying to get to the new loo.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Gillie wrote: »
    Its kids mainly.

"MITCHELL CURLY PARK
    The Ballydoogan facility in Sligo town provides plenty of space to run around on hot summer days.
    Also has a children's playground and new 12-lane Boules area."

(http://archives.tcm.ie/sligoweekender/2006/07/11/story28757.asp)

Sorry, meant boules, as in the thing you see being played in Spain/France, i.e. where ppl like to stand about in the sun!

Snark wrote: »
    There has been a portaloo in the park for a year or two; however, i don't believe that it has a maintenance fee of approx €10k which this tardis has.

What councillor said that on OceanFM?

Arthur Gibbons. Nobody I know ever heard it was there. They usually have a big to do over any little thing they do, but they kept the toilet thing quiet. Only one person on this board full of Sligo people was aware of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I live beside the park and this thread is the first I've heard of the toilet being there.

Advertisement