Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus

Options
  • 15-01-2008 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

OK, here's the scenario:

I was moving out from a rented apartment, and made numerous attempts to contact Chorus on their phone line to cancel the cable TV; each time, I got the automated crap and gave up waiting after about 20 mins.

I then tried emailing them, and got no response.

After I'd moved out, I tried ringing them again, and couldn't get through.

Then a thought struck me - I rang again, selected Sales and got through almost immediately!

Having explained things, I was told (by a rep who was, in fairness, only doing her job) that I was still liable for the charges at least up until the date of the email, as she had no record of me not getting through on the earlier attempts at phoning....understandable in normal circumstances, but a great way to get extra cash there - just don't answer the 'phone!!!!

I told her to cancel the account and the direct debit, and that - after that fiasco, I wanted nothing to do with Chorus (there was a vague chance prior to this that I would have signed up for the new house, but after this crap, no way....I'd nearly do something I thought I'd never do which is go with Sky!!!!!).

All OK until this morning, when I got a bill that had no detail of the dates it was related to, but looking for €38 which - wait for it - INCLUDED A €2 CHARGE for a "non-direct-debit" account!!!!

:mad: WTF! Cheeky shower of ****!

An attempt to ring Chorus to sort it out did, of course, result in the now-familiar "thank you for holding......."

What should I do ? Ignore the bill, get in touch with Ray D'Arcy's consumer guy or what ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Is it really worth it for €2 euro? Just be glad it's not like ESB's ridiculous charges for not using DD.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Username! wrote: »
    Just be glad it's not like ESB's ridiculous charges for not using DD.

???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ah this is a very well known charge, when it first came out back at the start of 2007 (I think) it was all over the radio at the time....you can get in touch with whoever you want but they won't care much at this stage :)

Check the UPC (Chorus/NTL) website http://www.upc.ie/service/?cid=119&aid=99
    Why is there is a €2 non-Direct Debit fee on my bill?

Your new bill will itemise our non-Direct Debit charge which was previously included in your normal subscription fee. Paying by Direct Debit is the most convenient way to pay your bill; it will save you time and it’s hassle free with the reassurance that your bills are always paid on time. To pay your bill by Direct Debit please complete the Direct Debit mandate on the back of your bill and return it to UPC, PO Box 321, Dublin 3, or call us on 1908 and one of our agents will assist you.

If you don't like the charge either change to direct debit or cancel the service, it sucks but thats life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Sorry guys - ye're completely missing the point.

1) I WAS on DD
    2) I spent AGES trying to cancel Chorus coz I was moving
    3) When I FINALLY got through (only by contacting "Sales & New Accounts" instead of "Existing Customers") it appeared that I would be - unfairly - charged for an extra month, despite the fact that the late cancellation was their fault for not answering their phone or emails

THEN, to add insult to injury, they cancel the account alright BUT

- THEY cancel the DD FIRST
    - THEY then send me a bill for the final amount (which I shouldn't have had to pay anyway if they'd answered their bloody phones or emails) AND have the cheek to add €2 because THEY had cancelled the DD before issuing the final bill ?????

So there are 2 issues:

1) Because THEY didn't answer their phone or emails, it appears that I got charged a month extra
    2) Because THEY cancelled the DD before issuing the final bill, I get charged a further €2

The first one is bad enough, but the second one is COMPLETELY taking the piss!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Why didn't you write them a letter saying you were cancelling the account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

jdivision wrote: »
    Why didn't you write them a letter saying you were cancelling the account.
    True!!!. Stop me if I am wrong but doesnt it say in the small print on the reverse of your bill that they require 30 days notice in writing to cancel??
    I know that it also says to phone. but even if you do phone (and on the slim chance that maybe you will get through)there is still 30 days.i.e. one month subscription. Also dont pay the €2 if you dont want, or if they dont collect your de-coder box(es) then sell them and recoup your money that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ignore the bill as they will not chase you for it ant they probably owe you a lot more for poor service and service outages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

mildews wrote: »
    I know that it also says to phone. but even if you do phone (and on the slim chance that maybe you will get through)there is still 30 days.i.e. one month subscription.

....which is precisely why I started the attempts to get through during the first week of November, 4 weeks before I moved out. They were paid up to first week of December - including the first week of Dec, when I wasn't there, but I'm not arguing about that.

When the phone calls failed (on the 3 or 4 occasions that I was on their f**kwit automated service for 15/20 mins at a time), I emailed on November 23rd - i.e. notice in writing - but they didn't respond, despite an automated reply saying they'd be back in touch within 24 hours.
    Also dont pay the €2 if you dont want, or if they dont collect your de-coder box(es) then sell them and recoup your money that way.

They can't, since I've left the apartment.....apparently they're not too worried about that, coz they've changed their boxes.

But the point - again - is:

1) If they don't answer their phones/read their emails/open their letters, whose fault is that ? If I'd sent it via snail-mail, who's to say when or if they'd receive it/open it ? No difference between that and phoning or emailing in my book

2) THEY cancelled the DD, not me. So that €2 charge is taking the piss, even if you ignore the fact that the whole bloody bill for December is NOT MY FAULT, the €2 charge is DEFINITELY THEIR FAULT.

It's not the amount, it's the principle of it......they have never had enough people to answer the phones, and because of that I'm down €40, and then they add insult to injury by having the cheek to charge me another €2 on top of that!!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

If they argue the point I would pay the bill until 23th Dec (30 days since email) keep a copy!! don't pay the DD charge and tell them to jump for the rest, we had same problems with Chorus years ago, loss of service crap billing and impossible to cancel the account or get through to customer service.

Generally when you get through to these people speak to supervisors right away take names and times of calls... they can help just need to get through the minefield, over the wall, through the barbwire and sneak in the backdoor :D

why don't you drive up to the office and speak over the counter? customer service is based beside Aldi on childer's road

Advertisement