Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Re Registering from Another County

Options
  • 15-01-2008 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Guys
    Basic query which I'm unable to answer. A friend of mine has a very nice SUV on a reg plate which is undesirable to many (I'm not saying which). He wants to know can he re-register that vehicle in another county.......I'd appreciate no posts about why he wants to do this just can it be done.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Not in the ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Only if the registration hasn't yet been sent to Shannon.

A neighbour had it done, switched from LK to L, but the dealer hadn't sent the paperwork yet.

AFAIK it's not at all possible on a car that's processed.

I know you asked for that part, but what the fu<k is the point!! If he's having trouble shifting it, bring it to another dealer, down this part of the countr D plates are very UNdesirable as they give the look of an unmarked Garda car, so if he is picking his reg rather than his car next time I'd probably suggest KE and not D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Guys
    Basic query which I'm unable to answer. A friend of mine has a very nice SUV on a reg plate which is undesirable to many (I'm not saying which). He wants to know can he re-register that vehicle in another county.......I'd appreciate no posts about why he wants to do this just can it be done.

Thanks

You can go in an pay the VRT in a revenue office in any county ( i've done this) but they will issue you with reg for the county you reside in going by your address.

I think the only way around it is to get the "lend" of an address in the desired county that he wants his reg plate on.
    Then do a change of address on the document when he gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Guys

Thanks

Can't be done. I have heard of someone looking to remove a xx-x-13 or xx-x-666 number plate. They don't entertain it.
    There's nothing wrong with a "KY" reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

ninty9er wrote: »
    I know you asked for that part, but what the fu<k is the point!! If he's having trouble shifting it, bring it to another dealer, down this part of the countr D plates are very UNdesirable as they give the look of an unmarked Garda car, so if he is picking his reg rather than his car next time I'd probably suggest KE and not D

If I asked for no comments on why he wants to do it, why are you putting forth one?

And D plates are not undesirable in this part of the country (as I live in Limerick just like you and drive a D plated coupe which doesn't look like an unmarked Garda car). Please don't speak for the rest of Limerick when you have no experience outside of student life in UL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Can't be done. I have heard of someone looking to remove a xx-x-13 or xx-x-666 number plate. They don't entertain it.
    There's nothing wrong with a "KY" reg.

Isn't it true that there's no hotel rooms marked as #13??

Couldn't they do the same wiht all 13 combinations etc?? If ant of us are buying a car the first question she asks is what the number:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

You can go in an pay the VRT in a revenue office in any county ( i've done this) but they will issue you with reg for the county you reside in going by your address.

I think the only way around it is to get the "lend" of an address in the desired county that he wants his reg plate on.
    Then do a change of address on the document when he gets it.

This wont work as he already has a vehicle on an Irish reg which means he has paid VRT on the vehicle already. Your approach would only work for newly purchased vehicles or those imported into the country for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

lynchie wrote: »
    This wont work as he already has a vehicle on an Irish reg which means he has paid VRT on the vehicle already. Your approach would only work for newly purchased vehicles or those imported into the country for the first time.

you know what Lynchie? You're right - i miss read it thats all. No hassles with you correcting me at all.My Suggestion would work if he is importing a vehicle into the state for the first time. That was my angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

You could export it to NI, then re-import it to the Republic and register it to a 'borrowed' address of the county you watn on the plate..A lot of hassle though and time consuming/costly etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I certainly wouldn't buy a car with a D reg, because that would mean that in all probability the car has spent a lot of it's life stuck in traffic/travelling at low speeds, the worst thing for a car's engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

E92 wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't buy a car with a D reg, because that would mean that in all probability the car has spent a lot of it's life stuck in traffic/travelling at low speeds, the worst thing for a car's engine.

I'd be just as worried about KE/MH/WW with that these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If I asked for no comments on why he wants to do it, why are you putting forth one?

And D plates are not undesirable in this part of the country (as I live in Limerick just like you and drive a D plated coupe which doesn't look like an unmarked Garda car). Please don't speak for the rest of Limerick when you have no experience outside of student life in UL.

Threads get dragged off topic all the time and other people have responded with similar comments.

But who do you think you are assuming that I've had no experience of Limerick other than UL. I probably know my way round better than you do! :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

E92 wrote: »
    The whole county of Dublin isn't a sprawling metropolis. Next time you are up here, travel north, north-west, or north-east of Swords, to anywhere in that direction on the Meath border, for example and you might be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

alo1587 wrote: »
    You could export it to NI, then re-import it to the Republic and register it to a 'borrowed' address of the county you watn on the plate..A lot of hassle though and time consuming/costly etc.
    Afraid not, they'll just re-issue the previous registration mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

alo1587 wrote: »
    Afraid not, they'll just re-issue the previous registration mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Get the car seized by the C.A.B. Only circumstances under which an Irish reg'd car can be re-registered. Read that on boards or AAM before, and checked with the local VRO, they confirmed it.

Advertisement