Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed for upgrade.

Options
  • 15-01-2008 2:04pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

Okay will be all but building a new PC either this week or next week.

Going the Intel route for the first time and I'm looking at Intel Core Quad Pro Q6600 cpu.

I'm planning on also get 4 GB of Crucial PC8500 ram.

I hear the processor I'm getting is a very good overclocker and I'd like to take advantage of it. So I'm wondering what motherboard to go for. I'm not looking for the best of the best to overclock just something that will get me a pretty decent overclock without to much hassle. Hoping to get the CPU to around 3.0GHz with the CPU.

Any recommendations, which chipset is best X48,X38,P35,680i or 780i.
    Same goes for Ram is there any particularly good one for overclocking this type of setup.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Azza wrote: »
    Okay will be all but building a new PC either this week or next week.

Going the Intel route for the first time and I'm looking at Intel Core Quad Pro Q6600 cpu.

I'm planning on also get 4 GB of Crucial PC8500 ram.

I hear the processor I'm getting is a very good overclocker and I'd like to take advantage of it. So I'm wondering what motherboard to go for. I'm not looking for the best of the best to overclock just something that will get me a pretty decent overclock without to much hassle. Hoping to get the CPU to around 3.0GHz with the CPU.

Any recommendations, which chipset is best X48,X38,P35,680i or 780i.
    Same goes for Ram is there any particularly good one for overclocking this type of setup.

I use the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 ... reasonably priced and good for overclocking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I don't think anyone believes that PC8500 ram is worth the extra cash at the minute.

Intel are releasing new dual core processors this month... and quad cores in 2 - 3 months. Just something you should be aware of.

Here is a budget motherboard that is compatible with the these new 45nm processors. Unfortunately it doesn't accept PC8500 RAM.

Dabs.ie - Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L (S775 Intel P31 DDR2 ATX Audio Lan). €68.64

Reviews: [Link] [Link] [Link]

... or for €18 more you could get the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L (S775 Intel P35 ATX Audio Lan DDRII FSB1333)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

If your going for a simple overclock, id go with a P35. The X boards seem to be just a load of bells and whistles.
    As for the nvidea chips, I think it would just be a better idea to keep the intel CPU with an intel chipset.

Someone correct me if im wrong though.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

What Ram you guys recommend with the boards your recommending.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

The Ballistix PC8500 are just about the best DDR2 that money can buy so you won't go wrong with those but the PC6400's would be sufficient too..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Varkov wrote: »
    If your going for a simple overclock, id go with a P35. The X boards seem to be just a load of bells and whistles.
    As for the nvidea chips, I think it would just be a better idea to keep the intel CPU with an intel chipset.

Someone correct me if im wrong though.

:rolleyes: Nope, your dead right

No point wastin money on an x38 mobo when p35 should easily get him to 3Ghz.
    I'd reccomend this ram, great price for 4Gb and its 2x2Gb sticks also (chipsets handle 2 sticks better than 4).

Advertisement