Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much realistically?

Options
  • 15-01-2008 2:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a 99 Golf back in August, there were 108k miles on it and no NCT. Basically im looking to pick up something else in place of it. There are now 113k and its NCT'ed until Apr 09.
    Anyone got a ballpark figure of how much a VW dealer would give me for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Melion wrote: »
    I bought a 99 Golf back in August, there were 108k miles on it and no NCT. Basically im looking to pick up something else in place of it. There are now 113k and its NCT'ed until Apr 09.
    Anyone got a ballpark figure of how much a VW dealer would give me for it?

Depends on the condition of the car obviously, and spec, but I would be surprised if they give you anything above 2-2.5K in trade-in. Maybe I'm a bit pessimistic though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I paid €5500 for it in August, i think ill just go for the private sale instead.

you'd get more money for your car that way alright, if you're prepared to wait for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭khmk

i had a 99 golf sdi 114km and got 4500 from the dealer last tue. :)

khmk wrote: »
    i had a 99 golf sdi 114km and got 4500 from the dealer last tue. :)

you got a good deal then (provided you weren't fleeced on whatever else you bought from them). They are being sold for less than that in garages - with less mileage (if genuine, I don't know!):
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=496232

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

It'll depend on what you are trading it in against. Such a high mileage and old car will probably not be resold through the main dealer network so will be bounced off to someone else. If you are trading against a nice shiny 08 though the dealer will pay over the odds for your trade in and ask you to pay full retail for whatever new car you're after, a discount by another name basically.

You're always better selling private if you can - realistically you should be able to get 4 - 4.5K, I would guess. The markets pretty flooded right now (there are 81 '99 Golfs listed thru private sales on Carzone alone for example) so much more than that and you'll be waiting a while I would guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Well im looking at either an FTO or a Celica so private is definitely the way to go i think

Advertisement