Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chief of the Name

Options
  • 15-01-2008 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Terence Francis (McCarthy), formerly known as Tadhg V, McCarthy Mor, Prince of Desmond and Lord of Kerslawny, was the last official McCarthy Mor. The scandal that he caused through corruption and abuse of his title caused the Office of the Chief Herald of Ireland to abandon the practice of recognizing Chiefs of the name during 2003.

I have been in contact with the Office of the Chief Herald of Ireland, and they are currently sending me information on the circumstances in which the practice could be re-initiated.

I am a McCarthy, and proud to say so. I think it would be beneficial to recognize the Chiefs of the Name in a glimpse of our Celtic past.
    There are recognized Chiefs of the Name that are still with us:
    O'Brien, Prince of Thomond - Conor O'Brien (Clare).
    O'Callaghan - Don Juan O'Callaghan (Spain).
    O'Donoghue of the Glens - Geoffrey O'Donoghue (Wicklow).
    O'Conor Don, Prince of Connacht - Desmond O'Conor (England).
    MacDermot, Prince of Coolavin - Nial MacDermot (Kildare).
    O'Donovan - Morgan O'Donovan (Cork).
    The Fox - John W Fox (Australia).
    McGillycuddy of the Reeks - Donough McGillycuddy (South Africa).
    O'Morchoe - David N. C. O'Morchoe (Wexford).
    O'Neill of Clannaboy - Hugo Ricciardi O'Neill (Portugal).
    O'Grady of Kilballyowen - Henry Thomas Standish O'Grady (France).
    O'Kelly of Gallagh - Walter L. O'Kelly (Dublin).
    Mac Morrough Kavanagh, Prince of Leinster - William Butler Kavanagh (Wales)
    O'Donnell of Tyrconnell - Fr. Hugh O'Donel, O.F.M (An Irish Priest in Zimbabwe).
    Ó Dochartaigh of Inishowen - Ramon O'Dogherty (Spain).

Advertisement