Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ski/snowboard dvds - what are the best ones?

• 15-01-2008 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Hello, I've checked out a lot of the promos on youtube and they all seem knarley so I don't think i'll go wrong just buying the first thing I see! Am looking to buy one as a gift for a mate who's mad into boarding. Is there any 'classic dvd' that everyone should have? Looking for cool off-piste, first descents, maybe some tricks etc. He hates skiing so it would be good if it was half/half :p but I imagine (naively) that it's the snowboarders who do (and film) all the cool stuff.

Any pointers much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Dont know of any classics, I have a few at home but I cant recall the names (I'll post again later)

Ive heard Mountain Lab 1.5 is good, its also quite new.

Or if he wants to learn tricks you could give me "Jumping with Jessie" (SP) or the Transworld Snowboarding one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Neilthefunkee1

wanna go classic but not too old.. get your hands on 'AFTERBANG' or 'AFTERLAME' Both seriously great films, 'White Balance' is another great film...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭justdoit

oobydooby wrote: »
    I imagine (naively) that it's the snowboarders who do (and film) all the cool stuff.
    QUOTE]

I don't ski, and enjoy taking the pi$s out of skiers as much as the next guy, but unfortunately the above point couldn't be more wrong! Check out the free promo DVD from Helly Hansen from a couple of seasons back (Happy Happy), and you will see some amazing skiiing footage, in the park, off cliffs and in waist deep fresh. That's the only ski DVD I have, but it's pretty epic and inspirational...

Snowboard wise, Absinthe films have made some really top-drawer stuff, including Pop and Transcendence. Another movie I love is Paradox, which has some of the most amazing helicopter footage I have ever seen. MDP always bring out good movies with great soundtracks (Dolly Parton (!), Modest Mouse, Shiny Toy Guns)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Check out Anomaly for a recent one, anything from Teton Gravity Research or Matchstick (Yearbook is my favourite) should be good.

I'm afraid that boarders are way under-represented in the big mountains although most of the movies will have a few boarders in them.

Yearbook Trailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Sorry I havent got back to you OP, I cracked my laptop screen on Tuesday night (Tried to close it with the top while my headphones were on the keyboard...).

Once I get the screen replaced I'll post again.

• Advertisement

board films that u must buy.. or obtain somewhere else!!!! Legally of course:cool:
    Picture this
    Optimistic
    Afterlame
    White Balance
    Apples & Oranges
    DC MTN.LAB 1.0
    Lines
    Afterbang

i have loads more on my other comp and cant remember the names of them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Sorry I havent got back to you OP, I cracked my laptop screen on Tuesday night (Tried to close it with the top while my headphones were on the keyboard...).

Once I get the screen replaced I'll post again.

Thanks Static, sorry to hear about the laptop screen - I hope it was a work one (and you're not your own boss!)

Thanks all the other posters as well, spoiled for choice now! Paradox or the related Draw the Line seem to be exactly what I wanted. So I might go ahead with that one BUT now I want to get another vid for myself, I'm hooked on the trailers. Would be cool to put up on a projector during a party or whatever other excuse... And no, for a gift I think I'll acquire the original:p

draw the line is a super film, amazing dusk helicopter shots! some very good riders in it... good choice my friend!!

Advertisement