Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

square number plates - what cars are they for?

Options
  • 15-01-2008 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

Some cars have to be fitted with square plates due to the space limit in the bumper or rear door, whether they are Landcruiser, Japanese or American imports. There are also a few cars with the square plate fitted in the space that is really for the rectangle number plate. Does this qualify for failure at NCT time? The 1996 civic can take both types.

Examples could be Opel Corsa or Rover 400. Im referring to the rear panel and not the front bumper. For example, can the guards make you change it even if it is standard font and could the NCT fail you because it wasnt rectangle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

I went looking for the license plate restrictions at one point but couldnt find them.

Im almost 100% pretty confidently sure that the plate can be either/or of the two shapes. The requirements are on the size of the letters, the european mark, and the overall dimension.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Wossack wrote: »
    I went looking for the license plate restrictions at one point but couldnt find them.
    You'll find the NCT requirements here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

And the county name in Irish :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Mine failed the NCT because of that - failed, I couldnt believe it - for the sake of an adhesive sticker

Then it passed 60 seconds later with lifesaving stickers attached :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

beerbaron wrote: »
    Mine failed the NCT because of that - failed, I couldnt believe it - for the sake of an adhesive sticker

Then it passed 60 seconds later with lifesaving stickers attached :rolleyes:

At least they are giving out the safety stickers now. I know people who had buy them elsewhere and come back to have it verified.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

You no longer have to have Irish translations of the county name to pass the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

E92 wrote: »
    You no longer have to have Irish translations of the county name to pass the NCT.

Really? Thats a shame if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

ok, thanks, but i think the question has been misunderstood.:(:confused: Could you fail the NCT if you fitted a rear square plate within the confines of the oblong shape on, for example, a BMW 5 series or a Ford Mondeo?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

E92 wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, you'll no longer fail for not having it on there, but you will be provided with the appropriate sticker free of charge. I'm not sure if they put it on, or whether you're expected to put it on yourself.

The requirement to have it is still there (a legal requirement that is, nothing to do with the NCT per se).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

G Luxel wrote: »
    ok, thanks, but i think the question has been misunderstood.:(:confused: Could you fail the NCT if you fitted a rear square plate within the confines of the oblong shape on, for example, a BMW 5 series or a Ford Mondeo?

Why would you do this? Are you deliberately trying to look stupid? Not a personal go at you, I just can't see any good reason for doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

blastman wrote: »
    Why would you do this? Are you deliberately trying to look stupid? Not a personal go at you, I just can't see any good reason for doing this.
    Because it's somewhat stylish at the moment, and on some cars it's necessary on the front.

OP, no, as long the plate is of legal dimensions, then it doesn't matter if you have a square in a recess for a rectangular, or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Quote:

There isnt anything stupid about it. Heres an example of one abroad. It can be fitted into the oblong shape. People seem to think its about the stickers but its the shape.

ch_a10078.jpg

and maybe this one which should be rectangle? lots of space for it anyway.

hk_license_plate.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I've seen 'square' number plates on the front of new Daihatsu Copens where the text is all in one line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Standard plate and location:

Mitsubishi-Evo-IX-01.jpgEvo_IX-10.jpg

Advertisement