Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair on upper lip

• 15-01-2008 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Recently ive started to develop hair on my upper lip, while it aint very dark i still feel paro ya no!! its because of a hormone thing and shouldnt be permanent. ive been bleaching it the past while, but im goin away for 3 weeks in march with a group of people gonna be sharing doorm rooms and 1 bathroom between 15 and while i know its not a major deal i would feel slightly uncomfortable goin round with a bleach moustache every couple of days...

any suggestions,
    i dont wanna wax coz i dont want regrowth, was thinking bout electroloysis (spell?!)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Waxing doesnt cause that much of a problem? I use home wax kits from time to time, they work ok.

Ive never had electrolysis, but most beauty therapists should be able to advise you on it. Theres also laser hair removal which is supposed to be permanent? Either way I think a beauty salon is your best call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Oh how I wish I just had hair on my upper lip.

Hairy shoulders are just not sexy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

Funnyly enough I was just posting about laser and electrolysis on this thread earlier :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Oh how I wish I just had hair on my upper lip.

Hairy shoulders are just not sexy.

Mmm, hairy shoulders!

You can get cream for hair on your upper lip. You just leave it on for 5 minutes and then wipe it off with a tissue.

Not that I know from first hand experience or anything. /looks around furtively

I know a good few older women who have been getting electrolysis for years, and I have a friend who is a beautician.
    They all say it doesn't work, I think that might be because they are unsuitable or the treatment isn't being carried out in an effective way.

I think you should research it well online yourself before you take the advice of a beautican.

If your happy with bleach otherwise, and the hair is only temporary maybe it is better to hole up in the loo with your kit, than risk regrowth.

• Advertisement

watna wrote: »
    You can get cream for hair on your upper lip. You just leave it on for 5 minutes and then wipe it off with a tissue.

My friend swears by that stuff, but Veet gives your legs stubble after a couple of days later. Would this stuff not do that to your lip?
    Thats more morto than having hair imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Waxing is the way forward!

After time you get less regrowth and the root gets weaker and the hair grows back soft not stubbley!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭wandering_star

Well, might be a bit of an odd idea, but.. i'm guessing that wherever you'll be that there'll be toilet cubicles...you could in theory-rather than spending a lot of money on electrolisis, and having to endure the pain of waxing and the regrowth- just bleach in the cubicle, wait (for what is, 20min?), then wash off with some water from a bottle or something... just an idea...if it's only a temporary hormonal thing, why go to the extra expense...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Moonbaby wrote: »
    My friend swears by that stuff, but Veet gives your legs stubble after a couple of days later. Would this stuff not do that to your lip?
    Thats more morto than having hair imo.

No, I don't find it makes you stubbly. It's not the same stuff as the leg stuff. Plus, on your lip the hair is a lot finer so you can't see it as much growing back.

I haven't used it in a while though. i only do when I catch myself in the mirror and start to get paranoid I'm turing in to an old lay-dee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Well, might be a bit of an odd idea, but.. i'm guessing that wherever you'll be that there'll be toilet cubicles...you could in theory-rather than spending a lot of money on electrolisis, and having to endure the pain of waxing and the regrowth- just bleach in the cubicle, wait (for what is, 20min?), then wash off with some water from a bottle or something... just an idea...if it's only a temporary hormonal thing, why go to the extra expense...?

I think you can get bleach creams that are far quicker than 20 mins more like 5 mins. I think the hair has to be dark for electrolysis to work which is probably why it wouldn't work on fine hair on your upper lip. I'd say bleaching is the best bet as anything that would involve regrowth could be a bit horrific looking!

• Advertisement

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I think you can get bleach creams that are far quicker than 20 mins more like 5 mins. I think the hair has to be dark for electrolysis to work which is probably why it wouldn't work on fine hair on your upper lip. I'd say bleaching is the best bet as anything that would involve regrowth could be a bit horrific looking!

That's only true for laser, for electrolysis hair colour doesn't matter and the fact thats it's finer might actually shorten the treatment period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Kazobel wrote: »
    That's only true for laser, for electrolysis hair colour doesn't matter and the fact thats it's finer might actually shorten the treatment period.

Ah I was trying to think what the other thing (laser!) was called, still don't think it's worth it if it's only a temporary hormonal thing though.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Ah I was trying to think what the other thing (laser!) was called, still don't think it's worth it if it's only a temporary hormonal thing though.

I agree, electrolysis is very invasive and painful and not really worth it for a short term fix, I'd agree with the waxing or bleaching suggestions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I just get my upper lip waxed every few weeks. I've been getting it done for a few years now and have found that the regrowth is much lighter/thinner each time and that I'm able to leave much longer between treatments as time goes on.

Advertisement