Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colony of 60 cats needing help

• 15-01-2008 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hope it is OK to post this here, admin remove is this is not allowed.
    It is never ending it seems. There is a girl tacking a colony of 60 cats in the Dun Laoghaire area on her own. Cats been there for may years and no help was offered until this single girl stepped in. Kitten adoption has offered help with traps, vets, transporting and finding spaces when they can. The estimated bill for this is over 5400!!! Even if every cat caught was put to sleep the bill would still be 45eX60 -= 2700,:eek: looks like they can't win either way. Save them or PTS it still is going to cost, suppose they could ignore them.

I belive some cash has been raised via other animal sites (I sent them a small donation at Christmas) there is a large short fall still, they don't just need cash but people willing to transport, collect cats from vets and trap, food and litter would also help. Don't know if anyone here can offer anything but thought I'd post.

This information was sent by an e-mail to me a few moments ago and It's on their main front page of their web site. www.kittenadoption.org.
    Don't shoot me I'm only posting :cool:, though I don't think this Tracy girl is trying to make money from animals, just mopping up the results of others not neutering or caring enough to do something, fair play to her.
    seb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TheB

How brave of the girl and sad for the cats. Just read the website info. Have sent an email with the info to various in my address book. Hopefully will raise awareness of what she is trying to do.

Will be sending her a small donation too..

And will keep an eye on site in case can re-home a cat in future once have moved house.

Bx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sebastianv

Thank you THEB. Went up to the girl who runs the rescue that is helping this girl out this morning with some food and met some of the cats from this colony, they are stunners. Most had had their ops and were recovering all tucked up and warm, with a full belly.

The cost indeed are crippling and yes I was also shown the vets bills to date :eek:

So any help would be appreciated one thing that I did not know is how this girl has been and that she leaves tomorrow for a major op.
    Like egar :) this comes out her own pocket and like egar she is a force to be reckoned with. THERE ARE SOME STRONG WOMEN IN ANIMAL WELFARE. That aside, she was up to her eyes in tending to cats the day before she leaves and I could see how unwell she was, though she hid it well :D

I have it on good authority that the girl who decided to do something about these 60 cats and that is NO exaggeration, is a dedicated animal person too, so no need to worry about where the donations go. To save any worries on behalf on the public she has requested that any donation go straight to the vets. Which is Beaufield vets in Celbridge. Anyone worrying if their donations will be used for fast cars or beer, have your mind put at rest.:rolleyes:
    As she will be away she did say that any offers of help should be directed straight to the web site www.kittenadoption.org as she will not be here to answer any questions or receive help her self.
    Please do what you can an extra bag of food or litter with your weekly shop won't add up to much.

Seb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hi, thanks for the info, I got my kitties from cat aid poor babies. I wonder if I could persuade my BF to allow me some more...............oh I'd love a kitten! In the meantime I will send this poor girl a donation to help with the cost of the vets bills. (do you know if she got a special price?) I'd say it's very hard work, especially with the temperment of cats :)

I also got my first cats from cats aid and help them out when I can too :D small world. I came across kitten adoption, when I screamed to get cats removed form my garden :D What a plonker I was then. :rolleyes:

Lead to belive that they do get charity rates (if that's the word) from their vets, and that is a prob transporting the cats from Dun Laoghaire to Celbridge. Foster space for recovery is an issue, and spaces for them to go too.
    The girl who is doing this through kitten adoption is called Tracy, I have No contact details for her, sorry. Do know she is a member of the kitten adoption web site and goes by her own name. Tracy!
    All the cats are being blood tested for feline aids and leukemia and neutered other health prob are being tended to as well.
    Met one little stunner who pulled my heart strings (wife will kill me if i return with another cat) The cat had been hit by a car and fractured her skull, she is left a bit wonky walking wise with a huge indent on her head, though she was more than happy warming herself by the heater when I was there.
    Cheers Helen any help would be great.
    Seb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Hi, thanks for the info, I got my kitties from cat aid poor babies. I wonder if I could persuade my BF to allow me some more...............oh I'd love a kitten! In the meantime I will send this poor girl a donation to help with the cost of the vets bills. (do you know if she got a special price?) I'd say it's very hard work, especially with the temperment of cats :)

She reckoned that for neutering and vax and bloodtests it'd be about €50 per cat (she got a special price) so most of us just picked a cat and gave that amount. It doesn't have to be that though, whatever people can afford. The threads over on PetsIreland in Critter Chat, her details and a paypal link can be found there.

• Advertisement

Oh lord, I'm going to get killed for this but I think I will go home this evening with a few beers for him and see if I can persuade him to let me get a kitten. LOL between dogs coming and going and now me wanting a new cat I think he's going to kick me out soon :eek:

€50 per cat is a fair donation, I'll choose one later and donate.

I'm trying to pluck up the courage to get round the wife about the little white cat:o so I maybe be looking for a new home too ;). I don't think donations have to be grand! it all adds up better lots of people giving just 10E than a few making grand donations.And the food and litter is important too, while I was there this morning she was running out of newspapers!! so even little things like dropping off a bundle could help :)
    Seb

LOL Sebastian, perhaps we should look at out options so. :p

I never would think of things like that. Local shops have free newspapers which they are just dying to get rid of. Do you know their hours? I'm in Kildare and will find it difficult to get over, but will be in the area friday evening anyway (my dublin geography is crap, stillorgan is in the same area isn't it??). I could call over with a bundle of papers, litter and food. If there would be anyone there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I have a feeling that this lady is a fellow boardsie!!

I just spent the last half hour looking through the site and it's one of the best i've seen - a donation is on the way

Orlee wrote: »
    I have a feeling that this lady is a fellow boardsie!!

I just spent the last half hour looking through the site and it's one of the best i've seen - a donation is on the way

Could someone who knows the girl (if she is on here) let her know, she may have some more advice on where to drop/pick up items and what is still needed.
    The girl who runs kitten adoption will be out of he country for a while, so it may be better to contact the other girl direct.

Think we are getting the little wonky white cat :D once she has had a few more tests done, I call it a late Christmas girft to myself my wife calls it something else :D
    There are some beautiful cats in need of places, longh haired big fluffy ones, I was drawn more to the more estheticaly chalanged one :D Like me. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Hi everyone, I'm tracey, the person trying to tackle this. I'm typing quickly as I'm about to go out & try to catch some more before work.
    Basically what sebastianv has posted (thank you!) is what's going on. A large colony near where I work that have been left to breed for many many years. The residents there do not care & won't help. The majority of them are on a building site & are being killed or hurt on a daily basis. SO rather than stare out the window at them, I decided to something about the situation.
    Jan at Kitten adoption is a close friend of mine & has been a fantastic help in this. Unfortunately she has gone away for an operation so now their involvement in this is over for the moment & I'm on my own. I've a few great people helping me but I could do with a lot more.
    So far, I've gotten 10 cats & 8 kittens out. All bar 2 kittens have been sorted for now. They are here with me until I find them indoor homes.
    We have spaces for around 10 more cats at a push, the rest will either have to be neutered & go back or be pts unless I can find foster homes for them.
    I need to see this through to the end, if I leave a few, the problem will build up again & it will all have been for nothing. It's going to cost around 5,400 & a lot of manpower to get this finished.
    If anyone wants to help with this, they can log onto the main kitten adoption webpage & click on the donate button (my paypal, not kitten adoption's as she's away) or they can send a cheque to either me or direct to one of the 2 vets I'm using. You can pm me for the addresses. All bills can be seen if anyone is unsure of this. I also could do with early morning & late evening transport from Dun Laoghaire to Celbridge as I catch them.
    Many thanks again Sebastainv for putting this up & to everyone for taking the time to read it.

Just an update on this. I don't know if people would like updates as I trap or not.
    3 were caught this morning. Unfortunately, we had to let one go at the vets. Stunning long haired male & stunning long haired female now neutered & will have a temporary place of safety.
    DSCF0255.jpg
    DSCF0259.jpg

This little girl is lucky enough to be in foster until she finds a home. She's already had a litter of kittens.
    DSCF0232.jpg
    Millie2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Well done to you for your efforts! Its v. good of you to take it on board on your own. I will try to make a contribution to your costs from next paycheque - spent the animal welfare budget on a dog this month!!! :D

Are you looking for homes for the adult cats? Or are they too feral to be homed as pets? I understand you have homed the kittens?

They are v. pretty cats! I dont live nearby but may be able to persuade a cat loving friend to adopt (her hubby hates cats though so can't promise!).

Most of these are friendly to a degree thanks to the ladies that feed them, so yes, I'm looking for fosters & permanent homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

OK - will ask to see if she can take a couple in. Fingers crossed! :D

Advertisement