Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car for €300

Options
  • 15-01-2008 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    Currently driving a Northern Reg TDI Golf. Had been working in Derry but moved home recently. Have been driving the car for the last 3 but the Tax has run out. I feel it would be stupid to import the car before July. I was considering parking it up and buying some crap yoke with 6 months NCT to do in the mean time. Any ideas would this be viable or where would I go about getting one. The budget is extremely limited. €300 - 400 MAx. The auctions? Is this a stupid plan in generall or is there any other way around it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

very possible to do this, but you will need a bit of luck
    i bought a car for less than €400 a few years ago and did about 20k miles in it
    was still running well when i gave it away

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Buyandsell FTW!

Loads of cars under €300, some have NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Approach the scrapyards- you'll defo get something for 3-400 with nct. It may be 1.6+ though.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Did some research:

Can get a hold of a '95 Turbo diesel Vauxhall Cavalier with 13 months NCT. €500. Fairly tidy car for its age.

A '94 1.4 petrol Golf with 7 months NCT for €500

A '96 1.4 petrol Toyota Corolla with 12 Months NCT for €800. I the lad who owns this, never been tipped and in fine nick.

Thats the best I can seem to get hold of. Anyone any opinions what would be the best bet considering I will be selling it on in 6 months? All small cars, corsas etc seem to be selling for bigger money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Buy and sell
    Local papers especially outside Dublin
    Small ads in local shops.

This price range of cars seems to quite popular. Friend had a 92 Mazda 626 up for around €500 in his local paper and got loads of calls. He had it sold the day after putting it in the paper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    All small cars, corsas etc seem to be selling for bigger money.

The phrase you're looking for is economical yet totally overpriced small cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    A '96 1.4 petrol Toyota Corolla with 12 Months NCT for €800. I the lad who owns this, never been tipped and in fine nick.
    This one.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

The Cavalier if its not rotten, Izuzu 1.7TD goes forever and does 50mpg+ and I know someone who'll pay about 300 euros for a parts car in 6 months time;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Blue850 wrote: »
    The Cavalier if its not rotten, Izuzu 1.7TD goes forever and does 50mpg+ and I know someone who'll pay about 300 euros for a parts car in 6 months time;)

+1

My cousin had a '93 Vauxhall Astra with that engine, they'll go to 250,000 miles and beyond. They were the only reliable engine from the whole Vauxhall/Opel engine line-up.

Advertisement