Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless router wrecking my head...

Options
  • 15-01-2008 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

Just bought and installed a Sweex wireles router with my Zyxel Prestige BT modem. The wireless part of the setup is working fine, but I cannot connect my PC to the net at all. It is not even connecting to the router ip address? Any ideas?
    (Don't think it's the cables as when I change the cable back to the modem I can connect to the net fine).
    All help appreciated...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

IP address conflicts, happens all the time with this type of setup.

* Connect directly to the Zyxel and login to it at 192.168.1.1 (password: 1234)

* Click LAN under the "Advanced Setup" option (in the middle).

* Change the "Client IP Pool Starting Address" from 192.168.1.33 to 192.168.0.33

* Change the "IP Address" (under TCP/IP) from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1

* Click apply and reboot your modem by turning it off for 30 seconds and back on again.

Now in this order, turn on your Zyxel modem, wait 30 seconds, then your Sweex, wait 30 seconds, then connect wirelessly and try again. Make sure your Zyxel is online (that the ACT or PPP light is on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Thanks for the help Username!
    I did this and it's still the same (i.e. the wireless connection is working fine, but I still can't connect the PC to either the router or modem (can connect to both using wireless laptop)?
    Any more suggestions?

Set the Zyxel into bridge mode...

* Login into the Zyxel modem again (it should be 192.168.0.1 from the recent changes)

* Click "Wizard Setup"

* From the Mode option, select Bridge and click Next until you can see "Save Settings".

* Reboot in the same order as before.

* Make sure the Sweex is set to Automatic (DHCP) so it can recieve the details from the Zyxel.

* The PPP or ACT light shouldn't be on now but that's ok.

Let me know how you get on.

Set the modem to Bridge mode and nothing would work (couldn't find where to set the router to automatic DHCP).
    I had to reset the modem to factory settings in order to connect to it on its own. Back to my original setup now, modem connected directly to PC, modem ip address is 192.168.1.1.
    Any more ideas?

Whooo!
    Reset everything to factory settings, used the modem wizard and ecerything working fine now!!!
    Thanks for your help (by the way, the "routing" mode on the modem is working fine, the last wireless router I had need the modem to be set to "bridge" mode, but not this one...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nice detailed instructions there Username! :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    Nice detailed instructions there Username! :)

Agreed icon14.gif

Thanks guys, and glad you got it working BigCon.

Note though, if the BB ever needs a reboot, make sure you do it in the order like instructed above... that's important because if you turn on the Sweex first, it won't pick up any IP details and then the Zyxel won't even give the details out.

Advertisement