Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FM 2008 in Vista

• 15-01-2008 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right form.

I have Football Manager 2008 and installed it on windows xp no problems and it works, but its very slow at times as there is not enough memory. I tried installing it on Windows Vista 3 times now and it wont install, i've the install guide and it tells you how to exactly install, the problem is its not showing up in my programs or no icon on my desktop as it should be? I do get a message at the end of the installation some errors occured while installing, read the install log information?

Anyone have any ideas? I had it working yesterday no problems on vista, not today.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Barlow07 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is the right form.

I have Football Manager 2008 and installed it on windows xp no problems and it works, but its very slow at times as there is not enough memory. I tried installing it on Windows Vista 3 times now and it wont install, i've the install guide and it tells you how to exactly install, the problem is its not showing up in my programs or no icon on my desktop as it should be? I do get a message at the end of the installation some errors occured while installing, read the install log information?

Anyone have any ideas? I had it working yesterday no problems on vista, not today.

I have no idea if FM2k8 is compatable or not but you could try this.

Disable User Account Control [UAC] -> Control Panal -> User Accounts.
    Right click on the setup.exe for FM2k8 and choose run as administrator.

It also might be an idea to right click on the setup.exe and choose properties. Change it's compatibility mode to Windows XP before you run it as Administrator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

You might get a better response in the Football Manager forum.
    Surely someone has FM08 installed on Vista there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Installed fine for me on Vista Business....never got around to patching it and then needed the space so didnt play much of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

IrishTLR wrote: »
    I have no idea if FM2k8 is compatable or not but you could try this.

Disable User Account Control [UAC] -> Control Panal -> User Accounts.
    Right click on the setup.exe for FM2k8 and choose run as administrator.

It also might be an idea to right click on the setup.exe and choose properties. Change it's compatibility mode to Windows XP before you run it as Administrator.

I actually updated the graphics drivers and i also found the Icon in Games controller after a quick google search. I have a-justed the resolution as it tells on the setup log.

The problem im getting now is white screen, anymore ideas lads? I'm thinking of just giving up, this is only time i ever had a problem with vista :(

Its day two and still unable to get this game to work on this piece of dirt i bought almost 10months ago. I went around telling everyone to buy vista not to worry and how much i regret this. I searhed loads of forms and tried everything more so cause i thought i would beat it and get it to work. I'm giving up, the next time i wont be buying a windwos machine, i think im going to go and buy a Imac.

Warning to all Vista users thinking of buy Football Manager 2008, DONT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You're not going to be playing many games on your imac! As Kaimera said, it worked on his Vista machine without any special treatment so its likely there's something wrong on your end.

Stephen wrote: »
    You're not going to be playing many games on your imac! As Kaimera said, it worked on his Vista machine without any special treatment so its likely there's something wrong on your end.

I'm not the only person to have this same problem and i also doubt its my problem, i've checked everything possible that it could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Is there a shortcut to the game in Start>All Programs>Games>Games Explorer ?

If so, right click the icon and click properties, then the compatibility tab, and tick the box over the window that says Windows XP Service Pack 2. See if that helps you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

FM 2008 works fine for me on Vista Business

Soundman wrote: »
    Is there a shortcut to the game in Start>All Programs>Games>Games Explorer ?

If so, right click the icon and click properties, then the compatibility tab, and tick the box over the window that says Windows XP Service Pack 2. See if that helps you out.

I've tried that as well thanks, i have spent two days at this and still not success, i gave up last night. I've tried everything i could think of and still. The thought never crossed my mind when i got the game first that i would have any problems, i returned the game and got refunded no problems.

I have windows xp, but the memory is only 256MB, so its soooooo slow and tells you how old this machine is as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Could you give us a brief system specs?

XP takes much fewer resources than Vista so it could be something along the lines of insufficient memory etc. I assume other games and programs install properly?

Have you had a look at the install log for any hints?

It's a bit late now, I know. But did you look at this?

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    Could you give us a brief system specs?

XP takes much fewer resources than Vista so it could be something along the lines of insufficient memory etc. I assume other games and programs install properly?

Have you had a look at the install log for any hints?

Current Spec:
    System Information
    Time of this report: 1/17/2008, 21:51:26
    Machine name:
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.071009-1548)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: Inspiron 1501
    BIOS: BIOS Version 2.6.3
    Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50 (2 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
    Memory: 894MB RAM
    Page File: 882MB used, 1162MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode.

Yes i was there website, thats the first thing i did the day i had problems. I never had problems with this laptop before now and its only the game causing me heartache :) apart from i actually like Vista.

Where do you locate or find the Install log file?

Current Spec:
    System Information
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.071009-1548)
    Memory: 894MB RAM

To be honest, I'm surprised VISTA runs properly with that amount of RAM. One of my old 1GB RAM computers is running Vista and its dawg slow.

I would advise 1.5GB MINIMUM in any vista machine, maybe except Vista Basic. But recommend 2GB for proper running.

Try this place for some cheap RAM. They even have a scanner that you can run on your computer which will tell you what type of RAM you have installed and will tell you EXACTLEY what RAM to get [from them :)] that will work on your system.

To be honest, I'm surprised VISTA runs properly with that amount of RAM. One of my old 1GB RAM computers is running Vista and its dawg slow.

I would advise 1.5GB MINIMUM in any vista machine, maybe except Vista Basic. But recommend 2GB for proper running.

I dont believe the problem is the memory, to be it had more then enough to run, but its something i will look at and have thought that about already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just so you know, I have windows vista ultimate, and FM 2008 installed and runs perfectly on it...

Also, that is a very low amount of memory, the game needs lots of memory as it is with XP, and with Vista needs even more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Runs fine for me in Home Premium.

I dont believe the problem is the memory, to be it had more then enough to run, but its something i will look at and have thought that about already.

I believe you are mistaken. Vista just runs dog slow on anything less than 1.5GB. That is with no other software loaded.

While the lack of RAM probably wasn't a significant part of F2k8 running, it would have been all but unplayable if you did get it running.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I believe you are mistaken. Vista just runs dog slow on anything less than 1.5GB. That is with no other software loaded.

While the lack of RAM probably wasn't a significant part of F2k8 running, it would have been all but unplayable if you did get it running.
    Vista will run grand on a gig of ram, anything bellow this and yeah it would be slow, like xp ran slowish on 256mbram but ran great on 512mb... Coupled with a Dual Core CPU will also benefit, and op does have one in his laptop...

Nick

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

894 ? - 896 = 512+256+128
    or maybe you have 1Gb with shared video memory - try reducing in the BIOS till you get it installed

if you haven't done it already make sure you have aero turned off

• Advertisement

or maybe you have 1Gb with shared video memory - try reducing in the BIOS till you get it installed

Great, could you explain on how i should go about this and what i am to do exactly?

Hi,

I just installed my new 2 x 1GB RAM on my windows vista. I checked system properties and it still says RAM 894MB. When i go to RUN and type Dxdiag in comes up with my and says Memory: 894MB RAM, Page File: 854MB used, 1189MB available.

Does this look right? Windows starts up no problems and works fine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Looks like you are only seeing one of those memory sticks

check the BIOS / Setup first to verify the mother board can see it
    Press F2 or Del or Esc depending on brand of computer

Advertisement