Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you first became vegetarian

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Jack Vegas wrote: »
    I know vegitarians (mostly younger ones) who wouldn't eat say a chicken pizza if he chicken was picked off it because "There'll still be tiny bits of chicken on it and then I wouldn't be a vegitarian anymore". Ridiculous logic, following vegitarianism solely to say they are.

I don't get your analogy at all - if I go into a deli and theres bits of chicken on the counter and tuna on the knife from the last sandwhich made I would make sure everything was cleaned off before my sandwhich was made as I don't want bits of chicken or tuna on my food. I have had the situation were a burger was given to me and I explained I didn't eat meat and the reaction was to just remove the meat part - I still wouldn't eat that as the juice from the meat would have soaked into the rest of the burger. I don't see this following vegitarianism solely to say I am one, I am a veggie ergo I don't want meat, even just bits of it, on my food. I do know a few veggies and vegans who are a bit high all mighty about it but it still doesn't change the fact that they don't eat meat and just "picking chicken" off something thats been cooked wouldn't be an option. If someone has an allergy to peanuts and you gave them something topped with peanuts you wouldn't say just pick them off would you?

To the OP I became a veggie at the age of 14, just went cold turkey [no pun intended] one day and never went back. I've never really had any issue with it over the years. It use to be more difficult going out to eat but nearly every place has a veggie option today and if they don't have one officially I've never had one refuse to just do me up a plate of veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Jack Vegas

whoops

ztoical wrote: »
    I don't get your analogy at all - if I go into a deli and theres bits of chicken on the counter and tuna on the knife from the last sandwhich made I would make sure everything was cleaned off before my sandwhich was made as I don't want bits of chicken or tuna on my food. I have had the situation were a burger was given to me and I explained I didn't eat meat and the reaction was to just remove the meat part - I still wouldn't eat that as the juice from the meat would have soaked into the rest of the burger. I don't see this following vegitarianism solely to say I am one, I am a veggie ergo I don't want meat, even just bits of it, on my food. I do know a few veggies and vegans who are a bit high all mighty about it but it still doesn't change the fact that they don't eat meat and just "picking chicken" off something thats been cooked wouldn't be an option. If someone has an allergy to peanuts and you gave them something topped with peanuts you wouldn't say just pick them off would you?

That's fair enough, you are not a 16 year old with no legitimate beleifs who is following vegitarianism solely to tell their friends that they are. The people I was reffering to do, I wasn't referring to you.

Jack you have a bit of a chip. Why are so you interested in judgeing people.

It seems to me that if someone was being a veggie for the sake of other people and appearances wouldn't they be more likely to not mind chicken grease on their pizza?

Myself and Ztocial have been 16 year old veggies....I know we aren't alone.

As far as I am concerned anyone eating less meat is a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Jack Vegas wrote: »
    That's fair enough, you are not a 16 year old with no legitimate beleifs who is following vegitarianism solely to tell their friends that they are.

As Moonbaby said I was a 16 year old vegetarian, at what age did my choice become legitimate?

I honestly never have had much issue with my choice to be a veggie, the only worry was from my mum who thought I wouldn't eat enough iron, but she's a doctor so she would focus on something like that. Half the time I forget to tell people and I have known people ages before they even noticed. I certainly don't preach to any of my friends about their choice to eat meat and none of my friends have ever given me stick about my choice not to.

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Jack you have a bit of a chip. Why are so you interested in judgeing people.

(1) It seems to me that if someone was being a veggie for the sake of other people and appearances wouldn't they be more likely to not mind chicken grease on their pizza?

Myself and Ztocial have been 16 year old veggies....I know we aren't alone.

(2) As far as I am concerned anyone eating less meat is a good thing.

(1) I see where you're coming from, but what irritated me about these people was they had no reason for refusing to eat something with chicken grease on it other than to make the point that they were vegitarians, not for a valid reason, such as that eating the pizza,regardless of the meat being picked off would still be consuming a product which animals died in the production process.

(2) True..much in the same way that I thought less people voting for George Bush would have been a good thing, but I'd rather they voted for someone else based on thought out political beleifs rather than to jump on the trendy anti-Bush campaign.

I'm not attacking either of you here, I was just waxing about a few people I knew.

ztoical wrote: »
    As Moonbaby said I was a 16 year old vegetarian, at what age did my choice become legitimate?

If you made your decision based on a legitimate reason rather than following celebrities or friends, then instantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

I went vegetarian in the early seventies and you can imagine just what people then thought. At least these days everyone knows what it is but then some people had never heard of it.
    People's reactions never bothered me. The only time that I ever actually had someone get cross with me was when I went with a group on a skiing trip and included was a mideaval style banquet. The host was very cross that I would not eat the food and he spoke no english so nobody could fully explain it.

Advertisement