Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Mobile Broadband in Dublin 4 (Donnybrook)

Options
  • 15-01-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi,

I'm considering getting 3 Mobile broadband as I'm renting and reluctant to tie down into a 12 month contract. has anyone used 3 Mobile in the Donnybrook area and what were your experiences. looking to be able to surf decently and perhaps play a few online games.

if not, I might just go with NTL broadband. Does anyone know, how easy is it to bring with you if you move in the 12 month contract?

Thanks
    Paul

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How it works depends on where you live and how many other people are using it at the given time, reviews of it are VERY mixed.

If your looking to play games on-line or use it for VoIP or Skype I'd recommend against it, however if you want it for general web browsing its fine,

If you want to test it I believe Three allow you to test it for 14 days and if your not happy you can bring it back and get a refund....might be worth trying but remember its no the best for games,.

Personally I'd for for NTL, its also a contract and I personally have no idea what its like if you cancel because your moving while in that contract.

Best thing to do is use the search function if you want to get an idea of what mobile Broadband is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 EG77

is the coverage for three mobile broadband countrywide? i am living in the drogheda area. what are the download speeds like - particularly for things like youtube, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

EG77 - steer clear of 3 mobile broadband......

I have it, and its rubbish, takes ages to connect and the sppeds are just as bad as dial up"

And when you ring customer services, I thinks it india you get through to and they really dont have a clue or give a toss. Avois it at all costs. I'm going to bin it in Aug when the 12 month contact ends because if i terminate the contact now, the'll charge me €147 - bloody shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

Yes, there seems to be very mixed views on this and other types of broadband, but the most important factors seem to be location and type of use, which most, unfortuntely, omit to specify, leading to much of the information being posted here being absolutely useless to anyone. You might have someone wanting to use their broadband for P2P/bittorrent/WoW, and shouting that it's useless, whereas somone wanting to use it for eBay, shopping online, updating their software, or viewing the odd clip on YouTube might find it perfectly adequate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 EG77

thanks for the feedback. i have got mixed views on three from friends. some say its fine for normal surfing, youtube, etc and others say that the speed is very dependant on location and time of day, etc

i have spent the morning checking out o2, vodafone, digiweb and three and as far as i can see....three seem to be offering the best deal. i am just gonna borrow a friends mobile modem for a few days and check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

EG77 wrote: »
    thanks for the feedback. i have got mixed views on three from friends. some say its fine for normal surfing, youtube, etc and others say that the speed is very dependant on location and time of day, etc

i have spent the morning checking out o2, vodafone, digiweb and three and as far as i can see....three seem to be offering the best deal. i am just gonna borrow a friends mobile modem for a few days and check it out.

Best Deal alrite just not best service go with o2 if you want mobile broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I would steer clear of them if the topic with almost 3500 posts is anything to go by.

To niceirishfella,
    If they are not providing you with a broadband service that is fit for the purpose, you are perfectly within your rights to break the contract without paying for early termination. If you look through the stickied thread on the subject theres plenty of information on it if you can find it, if not ask about it in the thread and you will probably get some help on the subject from people who have done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

i have three mobile broadband since july and it's been ok.
    It helps that im living in a remote area(monivea, galw)
    where very few people are using it though. A friend of mine who lives in galway city has had
    nothing but problems with it and has dial up speed at times.
    He can't play poker using it without being disconnected on
    a regular basis. It does depend on how many people are using
    it within a specific area.
    its reasonably fast loading webpages but downloading big files
    takes forever. It has often taken me 10mins or more to open
    a 3mb attachment.
    As for three customer service (mumbai, india) what a joke
    they are useless, clueless, and often just give you any answer
    that will get rid of you when most of the time there is no
    solution when you are having problems.
    It doesnt fail as much as it use to and at one stage when they
    were upgrading the network last august or so it was down for
    over a week yet each day i rang them they said it would be
    back within twenty four hours yet it was obvious they knew better
    as one guy eventually admitted after being plagued by me that it
    would take a lot longer than 24 hours so they are anything but
    honest. It's supposed to have speeds of up to 3.6mb.
    My speed is generally 300-500kbps and the fastest ive ever hit
    was around 800. Also it's not very stable.
    Takes forever to load a video using utube also.
    It all boils down to the area you live in, the time of day sometimes
    and how many people are using it within the area.
    It would take nearly a full day to read all the negative stuff
    about it on this site and you can believe it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

i would give my right arm to be able to get ntl broadband in my area
    so even if you are thinking of moving id say get ntl and even if you
    move 6 months later then at least you will have had hassle free broadband
    during that time. My only other option was satbroadband which was costing
    me 62 per month counting the flat rate package with esat but it was reliable.
    It made more sense tho to go with 3 mobile at 20per month.
    I can't get any wireless broadband either sadly.

Advertisement