Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 TDI

Options
  • 15-01-2008 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi all, does anyone have an Audi A4 TDI, I am thinking of getting an 2002 A4 1.9TDI because I do alot of milage! Does anyone know what sort of mpg you would get with such a car, I do alot of motorway miles, also do they come with cruise control?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Depends on what spec TDi,the 130 bhp is a bit heavier on diesel than the lower bhp ones.
    I get about 40 mpg on my 130 bhp Passat on short trips,i get even more on motorway trips in or around 45-50 mpg.

Have you considered a Passat,i had an A4 but much prefer the Passat to drive,just feels bigger.
    Having said that i do feel the A4 has the edge in the looks department and slightly better handling.
    Im just thinking you can get better value for money on diesels from other marques,Audi are way overpriced imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I say this quite a bit here but i really feel the Sport Passat is every bit as nice as an average A4 plus it actually has room for rear passengers.

A4 is a good car for long distance travel cos of it's refinement- I've had 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

on my 130 tdi I get about 40+ mpg and that's with a heavy foot. You could probably get the mpg up to 50 direction with conservative gear changing and revs. FWIW I've read that if you get it remapped you get more power at lower rpm, thus allowing you to change gear earlier (and also resist the temptation to use the extra ~30 bhp :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

As Efioanaes said the Audi a4 is over priced. I have a 03 130bhp Passat TDI Highline since Oct. Was thinking of getting an A4 but for the prices of the A4 you can get a lower mileage higher spec Passat. Im getting around 49 - 51mpg car has full leather, Parking sensors, climate etc :D. BTW its the same engine in the Passat as the Audi. I had a 100bhp Passat model before and thought it was a bit sluggish accelerating. Good torque though. Handling is more refined in the A4.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sham08

I have a 03 130bhp Passat TDI Highline since Oct. .

Yea I see the Passat seem to get better value in terms of extras and lower milage, what price did you pay for the 03? I was considering about 15k for the 02 Audi A4 and I do seem to be getting better value with the Passat. But I do like the look of the A4, ah the dilema!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

I have a 2002 A4 130bhp tdi for about 18 months now. I absolutely love it and would recommend it.

I average about 45mpg despite a habit of a heavy foot when going through 2nd and 3rd as I like using the bit of poke it has, but I tend not to do much city or short-stop-start driving. Mine doesn't have cruise control and I think you might struggle to find a 2002 model that has it, any I've seen with it are closer to the end of the line ones in 2003 but somebody else can set you straight on that.

55mpg is easily attainable if you drive conservatively and it's a very comfortable and well built car as well. There is a premium on the price just because it's an Audi though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

I know someone who did SERIOUS mileage in Passats for years and years. They were unbelievably reliable. He never had problems. Great car. Why pay a premium for a different badge? They are the same car. For €15k you could get something like http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=808166

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I have a 2004 TDI SE model that I imported from the UK 2 years ago.This comes with cruise but to be honest I don't use it that often.I do alot of long trips daily and fill it for around €70 and get anything from 650 to 720 milkes out of a tank.Lovely car to drive but cabinb space is very tight.Try to get the 130bhp if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

FFS, I knew as soon as I clicked on this thread that everyone would be recommending him to buy a feckin Passat. If the op wants an Audi, fair play to him. The whole they are overpriced thing is rubbish anyway, assuming you dont keep it forever, you'll get the extra you had to pay for them back when you sell it anyway. Their a lovely looking car and great to drive. The 1.9tdi is a very good engine, and as said already you should be getting anywhere from 40-50mpg depending on where/how you drive it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

Im driving a '04 130bhp A4 at the moment and im getting around 45mpg around town and up to 55mpg on long runs if i drive sensibly..

The one i have has cruise control, its the SE model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I got the Passat in Oct. Its a late 03 model (has the revisions of the 04 i.e integrated indicators in the wing mirrors). Had 39k on the clock and full vw service history. Factoring in expenses, VRT and cost of the car 16,100 euro. When I was looking in the Uk the A4's had about 60k ish miles on the clock and way less toys for the same money.

Oh the expenses also included a RAC check full vehicle inspection and HPI.

Advertisement