Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag Week

Options
  • 15-01-2008 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭

Is this still on next week? Its kinda awkward that its the first weeek back after so much time off. Also, what goes on during it? Or is it just over-rated? Myself and some friends do have plans for one day when it comes about, but people are visiting too, so need a little organisation for it now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Rag week in UCD sucks...full stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Mushy wrote: »
    Is this still on next week? Its kinda awkward that its the first weeek back after so much time off. Also, what goes on during it? Or is it just over-rated? Myself and some friends do have plans for one day when it comes about, but people are visiting too, so need a little organisation for it now.

Don't get your hopes up. Most it will consist of is people plowing into the two bars drinking - and UCD being UCD will probably force early closing on them like they did the last day of christmas term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Why can't we have a proper rag week like other colleges? :(:confused:

karmabass wrote: »

More pertinently, why can't we have proper administration like other colleges. I could live without the rag week

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

karmabass wrote: »

UCD's faculty days always seemed to be a bigger deal than rag week (pretty much a non-event) - i don't know if it's the same now...

Yayyy, science day - getting drunk and watching Dr. Salthouse blowing up stuff...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

apparently there was a rag week last year and i (and most people) didn't even realise there was one on :confused:

here's rag week 2008! - http://ucdents.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=63 ROL play UCD for the 217th time! :D

anyway i'm sure this years one will be a huge success with holding it the first week back when 99% of students are unaware of the event *baffled*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

It looks like a well organised show. If it flops, it wont be the SU's fault. And at the start of term, the lectures you miss wont be that important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

looks like a good line up! not the best week to have it 1st week back but meh....so be it.
    ROL can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It looks like a well organised show. If it flops, it wont be the SU's fault. And at the start of term, the lectures you miss wont be that important.

Exactly, all lectures pretty much say is what they doing for the semester! Wolfe Tones for €2 seems good value...I look forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

I had visions of fighting off people in white coats, trying to strap me to a gurney and race me down the street, all for the benefit of some obscure charidee. Instead, it's more drinking. Just another way in which UCD is not what I expected a university to be. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Cut and paste from the ents-team eMail

"Monday
    The bar is always packed the first Monday back so we have the Ents DJ's playing all day in the bar and Bluemoose and Alphastates providing live entertainment after dark. As I said the first big night out is in The Pod/Crawdaddy with Q-Soc.

Tuesday
    On Tuesday we are running a big Comedy Festival in the bar with David O'Doherty, Maeve Higgins and Jarlath Regan. These are 3 of the best comedians in the country and to have them all playing on the same night is very special. The gig is fully seated and alcohol will be served throughout so should make for a much better atmosphere than the usual Astra Hall comedy shows.

Wednesday
    There are 3 big events on Wednesday. During the day we are running a pub crawl with Arts Soc. This starts at 3pm in the student bar. Tickets for the crawl are €15 and for this you get €25 worth of free drink and a free ticket to the rag ball in Tripod. The crawl visits 10 pubs in between UCD and Tripod over a 8 hour period. Not for the faint hearted!

The 2nd big event is a Wolfe Tones gig in the Student Bar. The Wolfe Tones as you all know are the most famous rebel band in Ireland. They have never played in UCD before so should make for a very interesting night. Entry at the door is only €2 and the gig starts at 8pm! This will be HUGE... And Messy!

The big night club event of the week, The Rag Ball, is taking place in Tripod that night. Tickets for this are only €6 and will be on sale from all the usual outlets around campus from Monday.

Thursday
    Thursday is Comm Day so we are tying that into Rag Week this year and not running any competing events during the day.
    Republic of Loose are playing Thursday Night Live with support from the Popular Front.
    The nightclub event that night is in Club XX1."

Pleasantly suprised with this - fair play to quinlivan for making the effort. They're apperently looking for Class reps to get in contact if they want to have a class party to tie in with the week.

jimi_t wrote: »
    Cut and paste from the ents-team eMail

"Monday
    The bar is always packed the first Monday back so we have the Ents DJ's playing all day in the bar and Bluemoose and Alphastates providing live entertainment after dark. As I said the first big night out is in The Pod/Crawdaddy with Q-Soc.

Tuesday
    On Tuesday we are running a big Comedy Festival in the bar with David O'Doherty, Maeve Higgins and Jarlath Regan. These are 3 of the best comedians in the country and to have them all playing on the same night is very special. The gig is fully seated and alcohol will be served throughout so should make for a much better atmosphere than the usual Astra Hall comedy shows.

Wednesday
    There are 3 big events on Wednesday. During the day we are running a pub crawl with Arts Soc. This starts at 3pm in the student bar. Tickets for the crawl are €15 and for this you get €25 worth of free drink and a free ticket to the rag ball in Tripod. The crawl visits 10 pubs in between UCD and Tripod over a 8 hour period. Not for the faint hearted!

The 2nd big event is a Wolfe Tones gig in the Student Bar. The Wolfe Tones as you all know are the most famous rebel band in Ireland. They have never played in UCD before so should make for a very interesting night. Entry at the door is only €2 and the gig starts at 8pm! This will be HUGE... And Messy!

The big night club event of the week, The Rag Ball, is taking place in Tripod that night. Tickets for this are only €6 and will be on sale from all the usual outlets around campus from Monday.

Thursday
    Thursday is Comm Day so we are tying that into Rag Week this year and not running any competing events during the day.
    Republic of Loose are playing Thursday Night Live with support from the Popular Front.
    The nightclub event that night is in Club XX1."

Pleasantly suprised with this - fair play to quinlivan for making the effort. They're apperently looking for Class reps to get in contact if they want to have a class party to tie in with the week.

People always bitch and moan but I also like Quinlivan. At least he is doing alot more then last years guy.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Tá Mé Gaeilge

At least he is doing alot more then last years guy.....

That was a guy!!! Well that would explain a lot!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Looks like a great line up,good to see a bit of variety away from the usual dance acts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

People always bitch and moan but I also like Quinlivan. At least he is doing alot more then last years guy.....

definately, he's doing a class job this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Yayyy, science day - getting drunk and watching Dr. Salthouse blowing up stuff...

Yayyy, eng day - getting drunk

Stevens great. And he's really nice too

That was a guy!!! Well that would explain a lot!!!

:confused:

It was a girl last year (not that it makes any difference I would have thought) Holly something or other. Pretty appalling line up last year though

panda100 wrote: »
    Looks like a great line up,good to see a bit of variety away from the usual dance acts.

There has been 3 (4 if you include Blackstrobe) 'dance' acts this year. About 10% of all ents events.

jimi_t wrote: »
    :confused:

It was a girl last year (not that it makes any difference I would have thought) Holly something or other. Pretty appalling line up last year though

Hahahaha, showed the impact her presence had on UCD last year that I didn't even get the gender right!

Having said that, I cant bloody wait for student bar Monday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Wow, the Republic of Loose are playing UCD, Quinvilan really avoiding repetative booking there although in fairness I'd say the pub crawl will be savage

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Wow, the Republic of Loose are playing UCD, Quinvilan really avoiding repetative booking there although in fairness I'd say the pub crawl will be savage

If I had the money for it maybe... I'll be seeing you at the Wolf Tones on wednesday night I hope?

Advertisement