Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

japanese books?

Options
  • 15-01-2008 5:31pm

i've been looking in various bookshops for material on teaching oneself japanese. there's plenty of phrasebooks, etc. but what i really want is a good grammar book. i'm fine at picking up words myself, its just structuring sentences around them that i need help with. can anyone recommend a good book for this?
    also, which japanese[kanji]/english dictionaries would be the best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The best online dictionary is called Jim Breen's WWWJDIC at http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html

As for books, I'd recommend the Minna no Nihongo series. A good mixture of vocabulary, grammar and practice exercises.

If you're getting a dictionary or a textbook, I'd strongly recommend one that used hiragana/katakana/kanji over romaji. You'll learn a lot quicker using the Japanese alphabets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I quite liked the Japanese for Busy People series, particularly as you can get kana versions of them.

OT: Why do you have 'baka gaijin' in your sig? Do you think it's cool? I guarantee you wouldn't have that there if you had lived in Japan for any length of time. It's like a black guy having 'dumb n1gger' or something in his sig.

Advertisement