Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco item miss priced too high, free?

Options
  • 15-01-2008 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed an item in Tesco that on display has a price of say EUR4, when I went to the till it was EUR3.80. I know that when I get an item priced too low they will give back the money, but will they do the same for an item priced too high on the shelfs. The price for the item at the till is the correct price, as I've bought it in other places for EUR3.80 price.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As far as I know, I'm sure somebody will come alone in a few min with a funny story to do with this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Del2005 wrote: »
    I noticed an item in Tesco that on display has a price of say EUR4, when I went to the till it was EUR3.80. I know that when I get an item priced too low they will give back the money, but will they do the same for an item priced too high on the shelfs. The price for the item at the till is the correct price, as I've bought it in other places for EUR3.80 price.

If €3.80 is really that important to you then go back to the shop but to be honest they will probably tell you no. For the sake of 20 cents like...

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

If the price at the till is *lower* than the price on the shelf, what on *earth* are you complaining about?!

In fact, I don't even know what you're talking about, with your "will they give the money back". What money? They quoted you *less* than what's on the display! Just pay it!

In situations where the price on the shelf is incorrectly too low, most shops will have a policy in place (or at least in my experience) that means they will sell it to you for the price on the shelf, regardless of what comes up on the til. They are not obliged to do this afaik, but in the interest of customer service and customer loyalty, they'll do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Maybe you should go back to Tesco and give them the extra 20c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

If the price is not correctly displayed
    If the price which is displayed is the wrong price, you may complain to the Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs and the ODCA may take action against the retailer.
    You are not necessarily entitled toget the product at the lower price.
    If you are told the correct price before you buy, then you have no redress.
    If you are not told the correct price before you buy, you may claim against the retailer (and complain to the ODCA). The ODCA’s role is to ensure that the retailer displays the correct prices, it is not to get compensation for you.
    http://www.citizensinformationboard.ie/publications/relate/november2004.pdf

its been repeated here hundreds of times, the price on the shelf is an invitataion to treat, not a binding contract.
    the ODCA tries to encourage retailers to show the correct price.

but seriously, they charged you less? i suggest you get a solictor :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

subway wrote: »

its been repeated here hundreds of times, the price on the shelf is an invitataion to treat, not a binding contract.

I think you're missing the point of what the OP is on about. It's nothing to do with consumer rights rather a policy Tesco have in place. But thanks for sharing.

From http://www.tesco.ie/csr/index.html
    No Quibble Policy

Our "No Quibble Policy" is our way of showing customers that we always charge the right prices in our stores. It states that: "in the unlikely event of you being charged a price at the checkouts that is higher that the price mounted on the display, we will give you that item absolutely free and without quibble".

So OP, you will not get the item free if the price you were charged is less at the checkout than the price on the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

PaschalNee wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point of what the OP is on about. It's nothing to do with consumer rights rather a policy Tesco have in place. But thanks for sharing.

From http://www.tesco.ie/csr/index.html

Your correct. Thanks for the link
    So OP, you will not get the item free if the price you were charged is less at the checkout than the price on the shelf.

BTW it wasn't the 20c I was worried about, just seeing if I could get it for free due to miss pricing. Worth a shot.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

subway wrote: »

Good job jumping into this thread without actually knowing what was going on, guess who doesn't look very smart now :)

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Del2005 wrote: »
    Your correct. Thanks for the link
    BTW it wasn't the 20c I was worried about, just seeing if I could get it for free due to miss pricing. Worth a shot.

For the sake of €3.80, if you have the spare time on your hands...

Really, the shop won't even entertain it. The signs clearly say "higher".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Higher only as mentioned. The shop would still like to know, possible lost sales since people think it is overvalued.

Tesco shops sometimes have in store scanners to check prices. I think it is linked to the shop tills. So if you are suscpicious about a low price item scan it, if it is low then stock up your trolley to the brim and get it all free. I wait for the day vodka is mispriced ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Cabaal wrote: »
    Good job jumping into this thread without actually knowing what was going on, guess who doesn't look very smart now :)

:rolleyes:
    much like the tv license ad, ive been asking myself "can you live with the shame?"
    i tried my best, and failed. well maybe not my best but, dammit, i tried.

mark this down as another failed attempt at a satirical post on the interweb.
    it just doesnt work kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

LuckyStar wrote: »

Really, the shop won't even entertain it. The signs clearly say "higher".

This question was already answered.

Relax folks, I only asked a question. I've never seen the signs. All I knew was that if they charged more at the till then the display price, in Tesco, that you get the item free. I wanted to know if it was for all miss priced items. BTW the item wasn't €3.80 or €4 I just used that as an example.

I love the way peope don't read the question then give answers that although true aren't what I was asking:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

I think you should get the item for free

Our local Tesco's has a sign saying if the price you pay is not the price on display you get the item free - its their no quibble guarentee.

I'd give it a shot if you their the next time :D

traceybere wrote: »
    I think you should get the item for free

Our local Tesco's has a sign saying if the price you pay is not the price on display you get the item free - its their no quibble guarentee.

I'd give it a shot if you their the next time :D

This has been covered and is CLEARLY stated on the tesco website, it only applys when the item is charged at a HIGHER price at the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

LuckyStar wrote: »

That's not the point. OP is just trying to get something for nothing. Can't see the problem with that.

Back in my student days i would have walked the entire length of Dublin to get a €3.80 item for free.

Having said that, don't think it'll work as it is higher rather than lower.

Advertisement