Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declaring Non-Residency for Tax Living Abroad & Effects

Options
  • 15-01-2008 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,
    I'm an Irish person working abroad (outside of EU) in a bar job for cash in hand (so no legal employment records) for the last year and I am wondering about how I should declare this position to our tax office. I now have a foreign bank account with some of my last years earnings in it making me more unsure of my position.

As I will stay abroad for the next 2-3 years or so, I think I fall into the non-resident but domiciled in Ireland category as I plan to return.

I would appreciate any advice about how I should declare myself to revenue and what I might expect in doing so or any problems. Also about the effects of backdating this info 1 year. I'm a bit worried about the process and what they might ask me particularly as I've no official work record while abroad and am one year late to declare my new foreign account and residency status.

I have read the leaflet from revenue.ie on this, but would like to hear from anyone else who has gone through residency declarations or a similar situation. Also how do I declare myself to the tax office and what info do I need to give them?

Appreciating your advice,
    Thanks a million

Advertisement