Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Paving a Driveway?

• 15-01-2008 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I have 80m Sq to pave - will need some drainage into existing drains. Job to include excavation of approx 30m Sq existing tarmac and removal of dirt. Needs to be durable enough for 2 family cars. I am in the Limerick/Tipp/Clare border area.

I have no idea of what is/isn't a reasonable cost for this, so any guidelines would be much appreciated. As would names of reputable companies/tradesmen.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

tinytina wrote: »
    I have 80m Sq to pave - will need some drainage into existing drains. Job to include excavation of approx 30m Sq existing tarmac and removal of dirt. Needs to be durable enough for 2 family cars. I am in the Limerick/Tipp/Clare border area.

I have no idea of what is/isn't a reasonable cost for this, so any guidelines would be much appreciated. As would names of reputable companies/tradesmen.

Many thanks.

Driveway paving you mean block paving or perhaps cobbleock. The latter is typically € 70/Sq m the block costs a little more. Prices will vary but so too does the quality. This area of work is notorious for cheap cowboys.

Excavations and other groundworks including Recess Frames/Acco Drains etc will add another € 1.0k - € 2.0k. Waste removal (tarmac is now classified as a hazardous waste, so you might need to use skip hire otherwise local Grab Hire will remove all other excavating materials. Waste Disposal should be < € 750.00

For a far superior finish and using natural paving eg granite/limestone expect to pay € 100 -€ 125/ Sq m. Indian Sandstone is also possible but I wouldn't recommend extensive use as Driveway surface, too absorbent and hence difficult to maintain, unless you used one of the darker tones ie Grey.

Limestone is also an attractive stone for Driveways.

I would avoid using any of the manmade concrete base 'stone lookalikes'. Not cheap and weathers very poorly.

Unable to recommend any contractors in your area, but you look at www.alci.ie for names of lprofessional landscapers/pavers etc in your area.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tinytina

Thanks - you have given me some good guideline figures there. Do you think that prices are likely to come down a little, given the current downturn in construction?

Also would it be completely mad of me to buy hubby a book and ask him to do a DIY job on it?

tinytina wrote: »
    Thanks - you have given me some good guideline figures there. Do you think that prices are likely to come down a little, given the current downturn in construction?

Also would it be completely mad of me to buy hubby a book and ask him to do a DIY job on it?

I wouldn't expect too much reduction in prices, a professional service provider is working within specific costs/overheads, and anyone offering significant discounts are (a) not terribly busy/professional (b) over-pricing or both (a) and (b).

Sure there can be some price competition but marginal.

Tackling such a job on a first come DIY basis is probably over ambitious, but it can be done, whether you save a lot will come down to your finish expectations etc and time lines.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭ice27

I wouldn't expect too much reduction in prices, a professional service provider is working within specific costs/overheads, and anyone offering significant discounts are (a) not terribly busy/professional (b) over-pricing or both (a) and (b).

Sure there can be some price competition but marginal.

Tackling such a job on a first come DIY basis is probably over ambitious, but it can be done, whether you save a lot will come down to your finish expectations etc and time lines.

Good luck.

Hi All,

I have 95sqm to pave. I was qouted approx €6000 for the toberone "bracken smooth stone" all works included, take up existing concrete driveway etc. In your opinion is that a good price. I mean what it is is a driveway, a side path and another path out to the shed! i was thinking of the printed concrete which works out around the same but it just looks a bit clinical and I also heard it is very slippy in the wet? Comments would be appreciated!

How much is that Toberone paving a sqm anyway, anyone?

look forward to your comments!

ice27 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have 95sqm to pave. I was qouted approx €6000 for the toberone "bracken smooth stone" all works included, take up existing concrete driveway etc. In your opinion is that a good price. I mean what it is is a driveway, a side path and another path out to the shed! i was thinking of the printed concrete which works out around the same but it just looks a bit clinical and I also heard it is very slippy in the wet? Comments would be appreciated!

How much is that Toberone paving a sqm anyway, anyone?

look forward to your comments!

Seems low, excluding preliminary groundworks, breaking and waste which would easily cost circa € 1.5-2.0k leaves €4k or less equivalent to < € 40/sq m. Very low, sure these prices are out there but so is plenty of shoddy jobs.

I'm assuming your prices (are excl VAT).

As previously stated pro rates would be € 70/Sqm.

I haven't seen any good (wearing) examples of printed concrete, in fact it is not uncommon to see large areas of poor finish, evidence of cracking and surface deterioration. Reminds me more of bad tarmac. And when it's done correctly it is completely at odds with house aesthetics. Very synthetic looking and not cheap but looks every bit nasty. Regular concrete is better finish.

When it comes to Driveways, its hard to beat natural stone, despite the premium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Just got a couple of quotes for paving our driveway, I still have not recovered from the shock :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭ice27

Seems low, excluding preliminary groundworks, breaking and waste which would easily cost circa € 1.5-2.0k leaves €4k or less equivalent to < € 40/sq m. Very low, sure these prices are out there but so is plenty of shoddy jobs.

I'm assuming your prices (are excl VAT).

As previously stated pro rates would be € 70/Sqm.

I haven't seen any good (wearing) examples of printed concrete, in fact it is not uncommon to see large areas of poor finish, evidence of cracking and surface deterioration. Reminds me more of bad tarmac. And when it's done correctly it is completely at odds with house aesthetics. Very synthetic looking and not cheap but looks every bit nasty. Regular concrete is better finish.

When it comes to Driveways, its hard to beat natural stone, despite the premium.

Firstly, thanks for the feedback!

Thats including VAT, cash price! The guy comes highly recommended from friends, neighbours and work colleagues. I ve even seen examples of the work and it looks good. I initially thought this was a very high price due to my lack of knowledge re paving works, but my mind is a bit at ease now.

What is your view of the "toberone", beacken/heather stone? any opinions?

thanks again.

Do you mean Tobermore and bracken/heather, a good quality option for that particular form of paving.

BTW you're getting an unbelievable price (incl VAT).

Make sure the contractor installs good quality recess frames to conceal AJ/Manholes. It would be such a pity to have black wavin/galvanised steel covers spoil an expanse of paving.

Good luck with your project.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Just got a couple of quotes for paving our driveway, I still have not recovered from the shock :eek:

Like what for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

ice27 wrote: »
    Firstly, thanks for the feedback!

Thats including VAT, cash price! The guy comes highly recommended from friends, neighbours and work colleagues. I ve even seen examples of the work and it looks good. I initially thought this was a very high price due to my lack of knowledge re paving works, but my mind is a bit at ease now.

What is your view of the "toberone", beacken/heather stone? any opinions?

thanks again.

I recently put in a new two-tone driveway system (part tarmacadam and part cobblelock) and am very happy with result. All excavation + Drainage was also done. I went for the Tobermore Shannon Smooth block paving which I have found to be very good - http://www.tobermore.co.uk/index.cfm/section/products/product_key/36/product_category_key/4 .

• Advertisement

Like what for example?

After much consideration have decided to go for tarmac,quotes of around 7k.

Driveway is in pretty bad condiition, would it be normal just to tarmac over existing driveway, or do I really need to go down to sub base. Want it to last.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    After much consideration have decided to go for tarmac,quotes of around 7k.

Driveway is in pretty bad condiition, would it be normal just to tarmac over existing driveway, or do I really need to go down to sub base. Want it to last.

Good quality tarmac has a working life of approx 7-10 years, unfortunately poor quality tarmac (insufficient depth, poor ground prep or bad finish-porosity, poorly rolled etc etc) is more often the rule than the exception probably because of the rogue traders etc.

Asphalt is better alternative to tarmac albeit costing a little more.

It is essential that you check the bona fides of the tarmac contractor, otherwise you'll end up being another disatisfied customer.

I fail to see why you would not go down to sub base otherwis ethe new levels might be too high and clumsy especially around services like AJ/Manhole or gulleys etc. Not to mention a potential trip hazard at entrance.

For a lasting surface, stone would have been a better choice, anyways good luck.

Good quality tarmac has a working life of approx 7-10 years, unfortunately poor quality tarmac (insufficient depth, poor ground prep or bad finish-porosity, poorly rolled etc etc) is more often the rule than the exception probably because of the rogue traders etc.

Asphalt is better alternative to tarmac albeit costing a little more.

It is essential that you check the bona fides of the tarmac contractor, otherwise you'll end up being another disatisfied customer.

I fail to see why you would not go down to sub base otherwis ethe new levels might be too high and clumsy especially around services like AJ/Manhole or gulleys etc. Not to mention a potential trip hazard at entrance.

For a lasting surface, stone would have been a better choice, anyways good luck.

Tks, have been getting quotes and yes many contractors are suspect, many are saying no need to take up existing drive, but think I would rather go back to sub base. Am going for Asphalt. Paving would have been a good option, but cost wise it is not worth it imo. Tks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kevinb99101

I'm currently looking for quotes for my driveway. I'm interested in getting a cobble-lock finish. The total area that needs to be paved in approx 48 square meters. I've got 3 quotes that have ranged from EUR 2900-3700.

How do these quotes compare with quotes any of the other users here have received? I'm interested in getting a good job done so I'm wary of the low end price.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

there is a company in the Lucan area doing cobblelock driveway are the moment i see. They did a neighbours last September with a kilsaran paving block circa 70 sqm. concrete and grass took out for 3800. lovely job. anyone wants his number ill get it from my neighbour for you.

Advertisement