Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gambling on soccer . how much to too much

Options
  • 15-01-2008 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

saw a guy put 5k on man u v newcastle at 1/4 the other day . didnt look like he could afford it or anything.
    had to ask him was he mad. he said ahh sure its a banker . lol
    he said every now and again he bets on man u at home .
    crazy fcuker .
    whats the most anyone has ever gambled on soccer , and did they win/loose?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

what bookies was it in??? lol

heard last year a regular big punter had had a bet with VC or ladbrokes last year a fa cup double. 500k on man u and chelsea to win, thats when man u drew with burton albion
    he stood to make 40k or something

thats worst ive heard bout

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Beat this for stupidity, i had 4k on a st stephen's day treble five or six years ago, Bolton-win Tottenham-draw Man utd-win. Who do you think let me down:mad:
    It was Christmas, I needed some nervous energy:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

The team in red I reckon!

Have never had a bet bigger than a 100 but one year on Big Brother I came very close to putting on 4k to win 1k. Nikki was 1/4 to be voted back in but it was down to the housemates so I agonised in front of the pc about doing it. Alas Nikki was voted back in but I never did that bet.

No doubt plenty in here have similar stories of bets that they nearly did, so do share!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

macshadow wrote: »
    i had 4k on a st stephen's day treble five or six years ago, Bolton-win Tottenham-draw Man utd-win

Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the wee Donkey! That is crazy.

You put 4k on a treble? Featuring Bolton and Spurs? And you threw a draw in there too?

Man I salute you, you have balls of steel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tubey

lol I dunno if salute is the right word but you're right there Erin...balls of steel!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭TomPich

Put 10quid aside and have ten weeks of accumulators 1euro each week.

There cheap, fun and solid as hell, but if they come in your counting the money. Better odds then doing the lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

tubey wrote: »
    lol I dunno if salute is the right word but you're right there Erin...balls of steel!!!
    sweet f***, i'm nervous just reading about that bet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

redfan wrote: »
    saw a guy put 5k on man u v newcastle at 1/4 the other day . didnt look like he could afford it or anything.
    crazy fcuker .

I wouldn't call him crazy, believe it or not most professional gamblers make their living from bets such as this.

Think about it, how often do Man U, Arsenal slip up at home to teams outside the top 4. Man U and Arsenal have won 9 from 10 at home against teams outside the top 4 in the premiership. If the average price was 1/5 when by putting 5k on each match blindly you'd have an 8k profit. It's not for the faint hearted but is profitable in the long run. One could further increase profits by not backing in every game depending on the form of Man U/Arsenal and the form of their opponents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭redfan

it was in paddy power . but i belive they have to know you before they let you put bets on more than 1k.

so i belive . seems mad they want to take your money as fast as hell. and then pay you with a cheque ..when over 3k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

I know Ladbrokes took a bet of £100,000 from a guy on spurs who were 3-0 up at half time against Man Utd odds were 1/100 so he stood to win £1000, Giggs destroyed them 2nd half and Utd won 5-3. When I was training for Ladbrokes as a manager along time ago in a galaxy far, far away I seem to remember being told that almost 20% of odds-on shots less than 1/4 (2/9 etc) lose, and it's over 50% between 1/4 and evens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Benazir Bhutto

Very interesting ,.........
    who in their right mind would throw 4k on a draw , in a treble,....
    no particular persuasion for either team ?.... and cant be laid off as its in a treble !

thats crazy man,......

the only time anybody should put their money on a accumalator is when the teams of your choice play simutaniously !

how many times have i seen people just waiting for one or two further results to win a long accum ?..and see them desperately trying to re-coup their advantage and get out of the final bets, laying the team they had backed in the accum !!!

oh , as far i know remember 1/4 was a fairly decent price for man-u that day !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

crazy fcuker .

You can only calculate how much is too much by knowing how much is in the chaps bank. If that was his last 5k then thats too much, if he has a couple of mil then 5k is fine.

The only people who making a living off accumaltors are the people who lay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

The practice is called buying money and I have bet thousands many a time on football bankers when I thought the odds were favourable. Of course you have to be "not an idiot" and realise what a real banker is. Making big bets on short but favourable odds is how proper winning gamblers make their money usually. I certainly wouldn't recommend casual leisure gamblers place large bets that they cannot easily afford though. Buying money is for people who both know what they are doing, and have the funds for it to be still a longterm game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

hotspur wrote: »
    The practice is called buying money

The practice is called gambling, win or lose.

Never gamble what you can't afford to lose. The no.1 rule in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

€750 on andy murray when he after destroying some unknown 6-0 in the first set.
    He went on to lose 3-1.
    Assho|e, never forgave him for that!
    He also ****ed up a 10 game accum for me at the start of the week, 9 winners and that
    idiot goes and loses
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

macshadow wrote: »
    Beat this for stupidity, i had 4k on a st stephen's day treble five or six years ago, Bolton-win Tottenham-draw Man utd-win. Who do you think let me down:mad:
    It was Christmas, I needed some nervous energy:D

im just surprised only one of em let u down!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

IrishMike wrote: »
    €750 on andy murray when he after destroying some unknown 6-0 in the first set.
    He went on to lose 3-1.
    Assho|e, never forgave him for that!
    He also ****ed up a 10 game accum for me at the start of the week, 9 winners and that
    idiot goes and loses
    :D

have lost similar on federer to win a second set after crusing throught the 1set.....

Biggest loss was when fulham were 2-0 up - i was online and just after the second goal I bet big for fulham to win 1/10 :eek::eek:

They drew 3-3 lol :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Few people are able to be professional punters, and few of them are able to do it hitting only long odds-on shots they see as a good bet. Although in hindsight that 1/4 was a steal the way the game went.

My biggest was 200 squid on an Irish football final. It involved Derry City and another team up in the Brandywell. Might be two years ago now not sure. The under 2.5 goals was something like 8/15 but i had it nailed on as an under and so hit it more than usual. It came in anyway. Got greedy and put 20 on the 0-0 draw as well and that came in too. Usually the gambling gods punish me for greed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

My most recent 1k on o sullivan @ 1/3 in the first round against mcguire. Anyone who watched the last frame of this match knows how much this hurt.

May have been a bad bet in retrospect but i really thought Ronnie would be firing on all cillinders for this championship considering the prize money is the second biggest behind the world championship.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭redfan

weighing it all up. theres only one winner.THE BOOKIE.
    no matter how many times man u or who ever win. your suckered in to it . its an addiction and as that guy above said , very very few gamblers make $ out of it long term. you got to be street smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

you got to be street smart.

No actually you have got to be genuinely intellectually smart. This is a science, the bookies use a prediction system and then add a vig, it is up to you to have a better scientific prediction system than them and punish them when they err.

The best use very powerful computer programmes for this. Also it cannot really be done sufficiently well as a hobby, it takes too much knowledge, time, effort and bankroll.

If I were a bookie I would love punter after punter who is street smart. It's the very rare intellectual geek devoted to it that's the worry. I'm not sure that they even exist in this country, but I have known a few young Americans who have won fortunes from it doing it this way.

It is possible to make money from it. Very possible, the same way its possible to start a business and make money.
    It just takes a lot of patience, a lot of work and a lot of common sense.

There are so many bookies now putting up loads of competition. We have the exchanges. We have betting in running. We have the internet!

There is no better time for the average Joe to make money than now.

Common sense unfortunately means no more stupid big accumulators. It means not backing the tip you got in the bookies. It generally means not being in the bookies.
    It means reading. Studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

Workmate of mine once put a grand on Luca Toni to be top scorer and Italy to win the World Cup at 80/1 :eek:.

My biggest ever bets have been on Shelbourne games - where I no exactly what is happening when I'm betting on a Shels game. I've bet this amount 3 times and I won everytime. I don't always back Shels, just used my brain and a bit of common sense to see that the bookmakers were overpricing the opposition. In the following list I went with Away win, Home win, and Away win.

Dublin City V Shelbourne
    Limerick V Shelbourne
    Shelbourne V Cobh

hotspur wrote: »
    No actually you have got to be genuinely intellectually smart. This is a science, the bookies use a prediction system and then add a vig, it is up to you to have a better scientific prediction system than them and punish them when they err.

The best use very powerful computer programmes for this. Also it cannot really be done sufficiently well as a hobby, it takes too much knowledge, time, effort and bankroll.

If I were a bookie I would love punter after punter who is street smart. It's the very rare intellectual geek devoted to it that's the worry. I'm not sure that they even exist in this country, but I have known a few young Americans who have won fortunes from it doing it this way.

I heard of a few British guys making a good living on it but they all tended to be older gents. They also seem to invariably come from backgrounds in big business and finance. I'm sure there are young guys out there also and it would not come as a surprise to hear of one or two Irish lads getting rich off it. I think a bookies philosophy to proving winners is, if they beat you, hire them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

dsmythy wrote: »
    I think a bookies philosophy to proving winners is, if they beat you, close their account!

FYP.

If your able too mak loads of money from gambling why bother working for a bookies? I doubt a bookie is willing too pay you a similiar wage when they dont really have too.

FYP.

If your able too mak loads of money from gambling why bother working for a bookies? I doubt a bookie is willing too pay you a similiar wage when they dont really have too.

That's a good point. I'm sure they'd love to hire them though. Or at least buy their techniques of them. I guess the only reason a winning gambler might take up a high ranking job as a compiler is if they don't fancy the gambling life anymore and want a definite wage week in week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

FYP.

As the above poster said, a set wage week in week out, while still involved in what you love doing is not to be sniffed at.
    Pro-Gambling is one of the most stressful ways to make a living and its not for the faint hearted. If you have an excellent football knowledge and know how betting works there is money to be made as punter but I think you could make a whole lot more as a senior trader if your judgement was top notch. The margins as layer are so much better than that as punter and for that reason I think I would rather be layer than player!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MarkOShea

raheny red wrote: »
    My biggest ever bets have been on Shelbourne games - where I no exactly what is happening when I'm betting on a Shels game.

My biggest ever bet has been on a Shels game too!

It was on Wexford Youths to beat ye on the last day of the season just gone by. I knew ye had nothing to play for really and were fielding a young enough team. We had to win to be certain of not coming last, and I know most of the lads and they were definitely playing to win.

Was hoping to get around 3/1 but got 9/2 with Boyles in the end. And Celtic.

I only started betting on the eircom league this year but I think if your clued up it's a lot easier to win on long-term than the english games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

FYP.

Of course not they are a little smarter about it than that. A bookie knows when they stumble across a punter who is a little out of the ordinary. They don't come along these too often so generaly they will make them a mark without the punter even knowing.

It works out as a win/win as the punter continues to be allowed bet without restriction with the firm. The firm uses his anaylsis to trade with themselves and change their own line/prices accordingly.

Opr

• Advertisement

MarkOShea wrote: »
    My biggest ever bet has been on a Shels game too!

It was on Wexford Youths to beat ye on the last day of the season just gone by. I knew ye had nothing to play for really and were fielding a young enough team. We had to win to be certain of not coming last, and I know most of the lads and they were definitely playing to win.
    Heard that game was as dodgy as a 7 bob note.

Advertisement