Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xtra-Vision return policy

Options
  • 15-01-2008 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

So i received an unwanted game over Christmas, the game is still in its packaging and i have the receipt, problem is that they have a 28 day return policy. The game was bought on the 12/12/07, so i'm passed the 28 days. What are my rights? Am i out of luck or is there some consumer rights document i could print off and bring in with me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,202 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I doubt there is any consumer law forcing retailers to refund for unwanted products

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yeah they don't have to do anything. They could refuse to return it within the 28 days also

• Registered Users Posts: 40,175 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Some shops policies are half the original value, try sell it on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Why not chance your arm?

What game is it, you could always try and sell it on www.adverts.ie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Law is they don't have to change it, if they do it's their choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

the shop has no obligation to return a product that's not faulty. i think you're sorted for the next family member's birthday present
    Boggles wrote: »
    Some shops policies are half the original value, try sell it on ebay.

do you have any examples of that? i've never heard of a policy like that

the shop has no obligation to return a product that's not faulty. i think you're sorted for the next family member's birthday present

do you have any examples of that? i've never heard of a policy like that

Jack and Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll bring into town and try GAME and HMV, they might be a little more forgiving than my local Xtra-Vision. Never have i come across such a pack of unhelpful zombies in my life. It really irks me tbh, you spend and spend in there but they still treat ya like dirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

if the disk is faulty, I'd agree with you. But there is no obligation on them to swap it just because you don't like it - that'd be a nightmare to support, especially for someone selling games and DVD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Was there any reasonable reason you couldn't return it within the 28 days instead of waiting until a few days after that period expired?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

el dude wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll bring into town and try GAME and HMV, they might be a little more forgiving than my local Xtra-Vision. Never have i come across such a pack of unhelpful zombies in my life. It really irks me tbh, you spend and spend in there but they still treat ya like dirt.

You're not being particularly helpful yourself! There's nothing wrong with the item, you just don't want it. Instead of returning it after Christmas, you wait until the middle of January, until your 28 day returns period is up.

It's no one's fault but your own, i'm afraid.

eth0_ wrote: »
    You're not being particularly helpful yourself! There's nothing wrong with the item, you just don't want it. Instead of returning it after Christmas, you wait until the middle of January, until your 28 day returns period is up.

It's no one's fault but your own, i'm afraid.

Seriously, wtf are you on about? I'm not helpful? What does that even mean you moron. Are you slow or something? Simple definitely.

tbh wrote: »
    if the disk is faulty, I'd agree with you. But there is no obligation on them to swap it just because you don't like it - that'd be a nightmare to support, especially for someone selling games and DVD's.

Well its in its wrapping so no i very much doubt the disc is faulty. It just pisses me off, GAME and HMV have been sound about returning stuff after 28 days aslong as its in its packaging. Xtra Vision are just a complete shower. They employ retards where i am.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Man, you're just being ignorant. While XtraVision are not being customer friendly, they're well within their rights to refuse a refund. Their policies are on display, they are backed up by law, and calling them retards just gives a wonderful impression of yourself to us. Grow up.

By the way, HMV usually don't accept returns without a receipt, or without their own barcode, and Game and GameStop will just offer you a trade in price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I agree with the muppets in Xtra Vision in Shannon but they are under absolutely no obligation to return something after so long when there is no fault with the product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Bob in Belfast

Take the game out of the packaging take it back and tell them it's a faulty disc or tell them it doesn't work on your console.
    Them tell them you want a different game and if they refuse just take it to GAME or somewhere similar and sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Take the game out of the packaging take it back and tell them it's a faulty disc or tell them it doesn't work on your console.
    Them tell them you want a different game and if they refuse just take it to GAME or somewhere similar and sell it.

Not only is that illegal but its just a plain scumbag thing to do. Also it wouldn't matter. It is still outside the 28 days,faulty or not,it worked within the first 28 days,but suddenly it doesn't work? Sounds like something you did to the disk or something wrong with your console. I wouldn't take it back.

In the original case,I would ahev taken it back despite it being outside the 28 days,because it was still in its package. (I work in Xtra-Vision). But it depends on what kind of staff the shop has. I have worked with some idiots in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Why doesn't the OP just sell the game on adverts.ie or something other site. That way he'll have some cash in pocket.

Boggles wrote: »
    Jack and Jones.

that's quite odd. what are the terms of the policy? after 28 days they do that or what?
    Well its in its wrapping so no i very much doubt the disc is faulty. It just pisses me off, GAME and HMV have been sound about returning stuff after 28 days aslong as its in its packaging. Xtra Vision are just a complete shower. They employ retards where i am.

an any job i've been in, i would have got in serious trouble for returning things outside 28 days. if i did it too often, money would have been taken off me
    tvnutz wrote: »
    Not only is that illegal but its just a plain scumbag thing to do. Also it wouldn't matter. It is still outside the 28 days,faulty or not,it worked within the first 28 days,but suddenly it doesn't work? Sounds like something you did to the disk or something wrong with your console. I wouldn't take it back.
    it happens a lot more often than you'd think tbh. it might have been that the person just didn't open it or tried it once and then left it, thinking it would work later.

of course, the real problem with the plan is with most exchange policies, he'd have to exchange it for the same game, putting him back where he started :D

unless xtravision are different?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

an any job i've been in, i would have got in serious trouble for returning things outside 28 days. if i did it too often, money would have been taken off me

Can an employer actually do that? I would have thought it would be discipline at most, and dismissal if there were enough disciplines. I thought they could not actually take money from you.

• Advertisement

Kahless wrote: »
    Can an employer actually do that? I would have thought it would be discipline at most, and dismissal if there were enough disciplines. I thought they could not actually take money from you.

it was commission so they can penalise you on it as long as you don't drop below a certain effective hourly rate. my last paycheck was -€150 because i had claw backs for mistakes from the previous month but i hadn't worked any hours that month :D needless to say they didn't get the money

Seriously, wtf are you on about? I'm not helpful? What does that even mean you moron. Are you slow or something? Simple definitely.

You're unhelpful because you didn't help yourself by going to return the item soon after Christmas when you would have seen on the receipt there was a 28 day return period.

btw i've reported you for personal abuse, you can probably expect a ban.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

el dude banned for 1 month for personal abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

that's quite odd. what are the terms of the policy? after 28 days they do that or what?

it happens a lot more often than you'd think tbh. it might have been that the person just didn't open it or tried it once and then left it, thinking it would work later.

of course, the real problem with the plan is with most exchange policies, he'd have to exchange it for the same game, putting him back where he started :D

unless xtravision are different?

you wouldn't get money taken off you,I don't see how that can be legal to be honest with you. But ye you could get in trouble for taking it back,which is probably why the staff wouldn't. They were covering their own asses,which you can't really blame them for.

As for the exchange,if it seems dodgy,like it takes them 27 days to bring it back,suddenly saying it is faulty and they want something else,I would only offer them an exchange on for the same title. If it seems genuine,they could swap it for what they want.

I had one guy once who was buying previously viewed dvds,well he bought one,for €10 and kept bringing them back saying they were faulty and getting a new title every time. No one seemed to cop it until I realised what he was at,he was basically watching it and bring it back for a new one,instead of paying for rentals. I told him I would only give him the same title as it worked fine in our dvd and he got really abusive to a point where we had to call the Garda on him.

as i said, it was commission so it was extra that they weren't legally required to give so they could really put any conditions they wanted on it. In one place we had store targets for certain products and if we got 200% of the targets on everything except one of them, we wouldn't get any commission, despite the fact that we'd made them more money than if we'd 100% on everything

You get half the value in a credit note after 28 days. Wanted just to change the 2 items for different sizes but they were out of stock, so had to take half price. The girl was nice and gave me a tenner extra on the credit note.

tvnutz wrote: »
    I told him I would only give him the same title as it worked fine in our dvd and he got really abusive to a point where we had to call the Garda on him.

You should have told him about bit torrent ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

miju wrote: »
    el dude banned for 1 month for personal abuse

ahh, i wanted to ban him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 taradorff

What bothers me are people like you, xtravision workers like all emplyees in shops have rules they must follow. If they dont they can get into serious trouble. You know about the 28days policy but would rather a xtravision worker to forget about that policy just give you what you want, then have that worker explain why they knowing gave a refund on a product outside of the 28days return policy. Is that what your telling me, you want? Im sure the worker wasnt being unhelpful on purpose, we are told if its outside the 28 days then no refund. As for Game and HMV maybe those emplyees are just so damn lucky they have managers that dont care about the returns policy. Those Xtravision workers were just protecting themselves from trouble. You are to blames if you knew about Xtravisions 28 days policy, why did you wait so long?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 taradorff

First off you wouldnt half tell your from Belfast, your very statement gives this away. Again your missing the point if the game is outside its 28 days faulty or not, xtravision can not refund you or give you a different one. I work in an xtravision store and believe me we are not stupid. I have had customers come in ask for a refund on a game simply becuz they dont like it. Well our returns policy is 28days on faulty goods only and when I explain I can not becuz the game is not faulty then they go on to say well the game is faulty. Well I know its not becuz you just said you wanted a refund becuz u dont like it. Honestly the games and dvds dont come outta my pocket, im the least strict worker in my branch well that is til I had a rude angry customer who wanted a refund on a game that was 2 months outta our refund policy to keep her quiet I just refunded it, we keep the receiptwhen we do a refund, believe me my manager didnt care that the customer was causing a scene and I did it to keep her quiet. So enless you work with customer service then i would never judge anyone.

Advertisement