Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Trad festivals this year

Options
  • 15-01-2008 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi all,

My boyfriend's parents are Danish and though they don't speak a lot of English they absolutely love all the Irish ballads, rebel songs and trad music.
    My boyfriend wants to arrange for them to come over this year hopefully for a trad music festival, as they would be delighted with this.
    Can any of you recommend a good festival?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Awful Scut Mk2

Where do they want to go? Willie Clancy is good (Miltown Malbay), but it's always rammed. Ennis is quite good too, but that's on in November, which might be too far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Ballyshannon Folk Festival (Co. Donegal)....it's in August and is a great festival!

Google a few places/counties and you should get a few more suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Willie clancy is brilliant. Avoid the weekend crowds and go midweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 zenmp

Twanda...If you dont find any festival to bring your Danish friends bring them to a good pub where there is a trad band playing.I play in a 3 piece trad band doing all trad and ballads in Leinster and have lots of pub gigs coming up this year.So come and see us if you want and guess what I speak Danish as I lived in DK for a number of years..Best of luck anyway.
    PS If they are here in August the Tullamore fleadh ceol is a must for them

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

go to dungarvan in waterford, plenty of trad all year round!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

all the summer scolis etc.. :
    joe mooney fest in drumshambo, fleadh nua in ennis, ennistradfestival in ennis, willie clancy fest in milltown malbay, micho russell fest in doolin, feakle trad fest in feakle, ALL the county/provincial fleadhs which start from easter weekend, etc etc.

try the comhaltas website : http://comhaltas.ie/

good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

It has to be Willy Clancy week

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Feakle in East Clare - by a country mile! Busy though but any good festival will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

that would be a feakle matter! no ****e talk here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Corofin Trad Fest (Co.Clare) is on this weekend......http://www.corofintradfest.com/

Hup! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bush Baby

Fiddlers Green Festival in Rostrevor Co Down, last week of July. Its a 24 hour a day session for 10 straight days!

www.fiddlersgreenfestival.co.uk
    www.myspace.com/fiddlersgreenrostrevor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

Thank you all for your recommendations so far. Much appreciated:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

New festival in Clonegal, Co. Carlow this year too. It has a few trad acts in the mix, along with other Irish bands.

http://www.solas-festival.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dryada

If you´ll be in central Europe during this summer, try to visit some festivals in Slovakia. I wrote about them in my website. There is also festival´s calendar.

I love country style. Just now I returned from Crazy Day in Bratislava, where was country music. Of course, not only music. Also some competitions in country style (for children Indian and Cowboy games, horse riding).
    Next time I can bring some photos.:)

Advertisement