Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game to open in Waterford ?

• 15-01-2008 7:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Heard recently that Game is to open a branch in City Square, where Japan used to be. Also heard that HMV is going in there aswell ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Heard recently that Game is to open a branch in City Square, where Japan used to be. Also heard that HMV is going in there aswell ?
    HMV is going where the City Arms was....
    Game would be good...I hope its true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

GAME are rip off merchants. Smyths are cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

blue-army wrote: »
    HMV is going where the City Arms was....
    Game would be good...I hope its true

Are River Island not going into City Arms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

mad man wrote: »
    Are River Island not going into City Arms?

Yes, it is River Island, not HMV.

As for Game, I'd have liked to have them 10 or 15 years ago, but they can bugger off now. Mossy called it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Game may be bad , but they are alot better then Game Stop. I am happy they are coming here. Has this been confirmed at all though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Think the competition will do Game & Gamstop no harm, I was told about it before Japan closed so its been true so far ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Aha ****ing perfect! What I always wanted. HMV is the dog's bollocks! And true, a bit of the ol competition will be no harm. At least I'll have somewhere other than Galway to use my GAME discount card! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Not sure on HMV going into the City Arms dude, I know someone working for the Electrical contractor there and it's stopped with a while, well since well before xmas. And ahem *she* didn't know who the place was being fitted out for, but as soon as she does she'll let me know.

Junior wrote: »
    Not sure on HMV going into the City Arms dude, I know someone working for the Electrical contractor there and it's stopped with a while, well since well before xmas. And ahem *she* didn't know who the place was being fitted out for, but as soon as she does she'll let me know.

It's River Island. There's even a notice with their name up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Kahless wrote: »
    It's River Island. There's even a notice with their name up.

I wonder does he really have a source? :p

Anywhome, work seems to have restarted. There was a lot of work being done in there today anyway. Good to see the derlict building will soon be made use of!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

River island are going in thye were doin job interviews last thurs for it

HMV do not see Wateford and a marketable City ,Nor Brown thomas My opinion is the city is not in good shape at all ,Debenhams have come in and fcked city square right up tghe clothes and shop are shockin , Ratehr be in guineys

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Kahless wrote: »
    It's River Island.

Have to agree with this, any girls I've spoken to about this say this and as they tend to be up on such things I'd tend to believe it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

River island are going in thye were doin job interviews last thurs for it

HMV do not see Wateford and a marketable City ,Nor Brown thomas My opinion is the city is not in good shape at all ,Debenhams have come in and fcked city square right up tghe clothes and shop are shockin , Ratehr be in guineys

A HMV would do huge business in Waterford, music downloading or no music downloading. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the Newgate centre if and when it goes through. Brown Thomas would also do huge business: you'd have people coming for miles for it. The Brown Thomas in Limerick is more like Shaws than the one in Dublin anyway, if I recall correctly.

Don't know what you're talking about with Debenhams: they have all the usual brand names that are doing the rounds in Ireland at the minute; blame the brands not the landlord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Well Japan is empty now I passed there today, if game did go in there hopefully there will be some pricing competitions one will be cheaper than the other.. Or maybe atleast good value trade ins on games..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Spengman

merlante wrote: »
    Brown Thomas would also do huge business: you'd have people coming for miles for it. The Brown Thomas in Limerick is more like Shaws than the one in Dublin anyway, if I recall correctly.

Dont be fooled by the hideous 1960s curtain walled building(the original burned down in a huge fire!) Since Brown Thomas took over the former Todds store, they've spent millions on totally revamping it. The place is always busy(with women mostly) but I personally dont see what all the fuss is about. Their menswear range is extremely bland and outrageously expensive. Even the most mediocre of shirts will set you back at least €120. Their latest arrival is a line of horrific, chequered burbery shirts retailing at €350!:eek: No thanks!

There are 2 types of men that shop in Brown Thomas, the tweedy type, looking for the latest, trendiest line of knitwear and stripey polo shirts for their next golfing outing! Then theres the people that buy what they believe must be stylish clothes simply because of the price tag!:rolleyes:

Thres no doubt Brown Thomas are a big draw and they would certainly provide a big boost to retailing in Waterford, however part of their "perceived" exclusivity is that they only operate out of a limited number of stores across the country and these were all well established department stores, eg Cash's (Cork) Todds (Limerick) and Moons of Galway. I read a marketing appraisal of Brown Thomas as part of project for college recently and it appears they have limited expansion plans, with a new store in Belfast a tentative aim somewhere down the line. I think its doubtful whether they would see a third store in Munster as viable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Spengman wrote: »
    Dont be fooled by the hideous 1960s curtain walled building(the original burned down in a huge fire!) Since Brown Thomas took over the former Todds store, they've spent millions on totally revamping it. The place is always busy(with women mostly) but I personally dont see what all the fuss is about. Their menswear range is extremely bland and outrageously expensive. Even the most mediocre of shirts will set you back at least €120. Their latest arrival is a line of horrific, chequered burbery shirts retailing at €350!:eek: No thanks!

There are 2 types of men that shop in Brown Thomas, the tweedy type, looking for the latest, trendiest line of knitwear and stripey polo shirts for their next golfing outing! Then theres the people that buy what they believe must be stylish clothes simply because of the price tag!:rolleyes:

Thres no doubt Brown Thomas are a big draw and they would certainly provide a big boost to retailing in Waterford, however part of their "perceived" exclusivity is that they only operate out of a limited number of stores across the country and these were all well established department stores, eg Cash's (Cork) Todds (Limerick) and Moons of Galway. I read a marketing appraisal of Brown Thomas as part of project for college recently and it appears they have limited expansion plans, with a new store in Belfast a tentative aim somewhere down the line. I think its doubtful whether they would see a third store in Munster as viable!

No one is expecting Brown Thomas to open a store in every town. Waterford is the only city/regional capital where they are not present, though, and therefore it would make sense to open a store in Waterford if they are expanding further in the republic.

Also, you have to remember, Waterford city is on the border of Munster and Leinster. Most of Waterford's catchment live in Leinster. It serves the south east for retail, as opposed to Munster. Waterford is also the most isolated regional capital, being 80 miles from Cork and Limerick and 100 miles from Dublin, so it has a larger hinterland than say Limerick and a higher population in its hinterland than Galway. On this basis, a Brown Thomas in Waterford would be more than viable.

It's a pity we don't have more indigenous department stores anyway. They're far better than shopping centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Game suck balls, they are a rip off and their staff are ignorant and thick as two short planks! Never mind getting excited about another brit store opening up here, buy your games online for real competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

The faith some people have in Waterford is overwhelming.:(
    As for HMV, it would be great if they opened here. They would be a huge draw. I remember reading in a Sunday paper a few years ago that HMV had plans to open up in Waterford & Galway they were looking for premises but were finding it very difficult to find any.

I am going to stick my neck out and make a bit of a prediction; time will tell if I am right. Sullies snooker hall is moving to O’Connell St, I think the old card shop & restaurant across from Burger King in City Square will be joined up with Sullies and combined into one unit. HMV could be going in there; it would be the right size.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The faith some people have in Waterford is overwhelming.:(

+1... :( I mean Virgin and Esprit have opened in KK... all they're looking for is a suitable outlet near other similar, high-footfall shops. For that, read shopping centre.
    I remember reading in a Sunday paper a few years ago that HMV had plans to open up in Waterford & Galway they were looking for premises but were finding it very difficult to find any.

They eventually opened in Galway, as anyone who's been there lately will testify. If only they'd found what they were looking for here.

I am going to stick my neck out and make a bit of a prediction; time will tell if I am right. Sullies snooker hall is moving to O’Connell St, I think the old card shop & restaurant across from Burger King in City Square will be joined up with Sullies and combined into one unit. HMV could be going in there; it would be the right size.;)

Very interesting idea! Makes a lot of sense. I'd go so far as to say that you should advise on this sort of thing. I didn't spot it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 martin69

i recently saw a job ad for a manager/assistant manager for an entertainment retailer
    in waterford on recruit ireland, i wonder if it's for game or maybe someone else ?

• Advertisement

Passed by the unit today and there are recruitment posters up for Game Stop, not Game. They must be relocating from upstairs to somewhere with more foot traffic.

Where the hell is this place?? Can someone give me directions to it from the book center or something?? I gotta get the info if there are jobs going there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

It's straight across from Specsavers in City Square ...

It's straight across from Specsavers in City Square ...

ok, cool, cheers man :) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

............I am going to stick my neck out and make a bit of a prediction; time will tell if I am right. Sullies snooker hall is moving to O’Connell St, I think the old card shop & restaurant across from Burger King in City Square will be joined up with Sullies and combined into one unit. HMV could be going in there; it would be the right size.;)

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/e250m-investment-plan-for-city/

“There is an ongoing programme of refurbishment in City Square and demand for units is strong, noted Mr. Douglas’ colleague, Nigel Kingston of Douglas Newman Good. Having completed the purchase of the former Sully’s Snooker Club. The company intends to implement further expansion.”

Looks like I was right. I wonder what will go in there.

Advertisement