Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to install a Xeon CPU into a skt775 DELL?

Options
  • 15-01-2008 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok, quick question, I have 2 Xeon 2.66Ghz CPU's lying around in work and a couple of DELL 5150's. Now the Xeon's are skt775 and the DELLs used to have Pentium D's in them. How likely is it they are going to work together. I really don't want to tell my boss its possible then end up with a couple of blown Xeons.

I can't seem to find any info on whether DELL offers support for Xeons on its desktop class PC's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

If the mobo in the dell supports the same bus speed as the Xeon you should be OK me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

OK , heres a list of all the " Xeon" processors , nice table with the socket type and bus speeds included ,

If you can get info on the Dell motherboards , showing what processors they support then you can match up with this table and see if the Xeons you have the option on will fit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Xeon_microprocessors

From what I can see ,( quick glance ) only the latest ones , circa 2006/7 , conroe or Kentsfield at 2.667Ghz will fit a 775 socket, and of course bus speeds etc must match also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Ok heres the details on the Xeon's I have:

Dual-Core Xeon 3070 SLACC 2667 MHz 4096 KiB 1066 MT/s 10x 65 W LGA 775 October 2006

I can't seem to find a mobo number on the board itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Make sure you have good cooling, if I remember correctly, those Xeons use very large stock coolers. I'm sure you have them anyway.

Ok the mobo is an Intel Lakeport-G i945G LGA775. It previously had a Pentium D 820 installed in it.

• Advertisement

hmm... from reading around it seems Xeons ARE supposed to be compatible with i945G boards but I tried installing it there and booting up and nothing, no post beep or screen activity. I quickly switched it back out and installed the old Pentium D and the system is still not working.

I've got a feeling DELL have locked out support for this chip in the BIOS. Anyone know a good source of modded DELL BIOS's? Do they exist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Anyone know a good source of modded DELL BIOS's? Do they exist?

Never heard of modded Dell Bios's but I've heard of people flashing a Dell mobo to a different bios so that they can overclock, but these mobo's were just renamed by Dell and given a custom Dell bios locking out all the options. See if you can find out which manufacturer made the mobo. Google the serial number also.

Advertisement