Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FM 2008 not working on Vista

Options
  • 15-01-2008 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right form.

I have Football Manager 2008 and installed it on windows xp no problems and it works, but its very slow at times as there is not enough memory. I tried installing it on Windows Vista 3 times now and it wont install, i've the install guide and it tells you how to exactly install, the problem is its not showing up in my programs or no icon on my desktop as it should be? I do get a message at the end of the installation some errors occured while installing, read the install log information?

I've tried updating graphics card and java and still have unable to get it working. I've never had any issue with vista before. I've tried installing as Admin, still not luck.

All i keep getting is a white screen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

I had the same problem,the game would install and play but i had no shorcut on desktop..so if i wanted to play i had to intasll it over and over (i didnt now in fairness im not a complete sap)...I finally got it working by doin this

install CM in advanced mode..your asked to pick a location folder for the game...make the desktop the file location and install..about 7 -8 folders appear on the desktop including the 08 shortcut..

GO Everton!!

PS...MY ****in head was melted...took 1 whole day to finally work it out. Im gona break loadsa legs in my first season. I ****in love this game..

Slight problem..after you've installed the game.
    when you have all the folders on desktop..you can stick them in a new folder(whatever you wana name it CM)...but you must leave the data folder on desktop or the game will not load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

hmmm this concerns me. i'm getting a new laptop with Vista on it...

is it just a case of no shortcuts? does the game run ok otherwise? did it not occur to you to just explore the drive to find the exe?

edit: ok a quick Google returns that Vista has some sort of weird games information system. Start -> All Programs -> Games -> Games Explorer. try that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

hmmm this concerns me. i'm getting a new laptop with Vista on it...

is it just a case of no shortcuts? does the game run ok otherwise? did it not occur to you to just explore the drive to find the exe?

edit: ok a quick Google returns that Vista has some sort of weird games information system. Start -> All Programs -> Games -> Games Explorer. try that

Yes i tried that it also failed. I had it working once and since unable. I've tried installing it multiple times and it just wont run, its installed on the C: drive no problems, just wont run or work some annoying reason.

• Advertisement

I'm still having problems with this game and i was there websitem but not much help at all. I was just wondering if there is a patch i can or should try downloading on Vista???????

Anyone here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Yellow Snow

Using Vista too and no problems for me.

Click on start menu, then click into games....

Thats where it saved for me. Tad confusing i know. From there you can create a shortcut and move it to your desktop though.

Anyway, when you put the disk into the drive it should give an 'autorun' option to start up.

Hope that helps ya

Using Vista too and no problems for me.

Click on start menu, then click into games....

Thats where it saved for me. Tad confusing i know. From there you can create a shortcut and move it to your desktop though.

Anyway, when you put the disk into the drive it should give an 'autorun' option to start up.

Hope that helps ya

I tried this as well and it still wont work, just keep getting a white screen so i have to cancel the game each time. I've tried running as a admin and same problems, its driving me mad at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

works for me great in home premium

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I have a problem with it on Vista as well. I installed it and it says "Do you want to run the game" and I said yes played it a bit and then quit. But when I went to go back and play it I couldn't find it till I seen it was in that games folder thing, but when I click it it brings me to where the game is saved but I cant start the game. I also tried searching for the .exe but I can't find it? Any ideas?

• Advertisement

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I have a problem with it on Vista as well. I installed it and it says "Do you want to run the game" and I said yes played it a bit and then quit. But when I went to go back and play it I couldn't find it till I seen it was in that games folder thing, but when I click it it brings me to where the game is saved but I cant start the game. I also tried searching for the .exe but I can't find it? Any ideas?

I still cant it to work after over a week of trying, i'm thinking the only option is to install XP on a dual boot with Vista.

How much memory have you left to run the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

When I first installed it on Vista it kept giving me a No Disc error, like you get when trying to pirate it. Eventually I got it working. Try the Football Manager forums, thats where I got the info I needed.

If that fails e-mail Sega.

Qs wrote: »
    When I first installed it on Vista it kept giving me a No Disc error, like you get when trying to pirate it. Eventually I got it working. Try the Football Manager forums, thats where I got the info I needed.

If that fails e-mail Sega.

I tried was on Sega website and it seemed a lot more people where having the same problem as myself and also others. I was a fan on Vista until i actually tried installing this game.

Barlow07 wrote: »
    I tried was on Sega website and it seemed a lot more people where having the same problem as myself and also others. I was a fan on Vista until i actually tried installing this game.

I bought 2G RAM and installed it, i installed Football manager 2008 and it was looking good, loading up the the start of the game before the f**king white window opened up and crashed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

bought and installed fm 2008 on vista yesterday, no problems at all apart from no shortcut on the desktop, so i just copied the shortcut in program files to the desktop and everything was fine. great game!!

I really didnt want to hear that thanks ;-). The first time i installed the game it worked no problems, the next day i went to play it again and got all these problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

There is a problem in vista where the game is located in the 'games' folder and a shortcut is not put on the desktop. For anyone with this problem, just go into program files and look for the FM shortcut and right click it and make another shortcut. It should ask if it be placed on your desktop. You're away then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

flyswatter wrote: »
    There is a problem in vista where the game is located in the 'games' folder and a shortcut is not put on the desktop. For anyone with this problem, just go into program files and look for the FM shortcut and right click it and make another shortcut. It should ask if it be placed on your desktop. You're away then.

you're at least the third person to have suggested that to him.

you're at least the third person to have suggested that to him.

:D , at least i know who reads the thread from the begging. In fairness he/she is not the only one to suggest something which is already being tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I got it working mate. What I did (I am sure you tried it already as it was mentioned above) was when I was installing it I chose the Desktop as the location it installs a few things but what you do is leave the FM application and the Data folder on the desktop and you can move the others to a seperate folder.

That's what I did mate and it worked, hope you sort it out mate. Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

My vista plays fm on its own i think its addicted I come home and it wont let me play and worse its better than me at it :mad:

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I got it working mate. What I did (I am sure you tried it already as it was mentioned above) was when I was installing it I chose the Desktop as the location it installs a few things but what you do is leave the FM application and the Data folder on the desktop and you can move the others to a seperate folder.

That's what I did mate and it worked, hope you sort it out mate. Good luck

I have tired that already, but i think i might try again over the weekend, thanks.

Advertisement