Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco - wrong price at till

Options
  • 15-01-2008 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

After reading something in this thread i have a query

About a month ago we went to our local Tescos where they had a Dyson on sale at 100 euro off. 211 instead of 311. At the tills the price came up as 261. After much running around by the girl at the till it turned out the shelf price was wrong. She said she would have to charge us 261 and refund us 50 euro.

From the thread above i've seen this:
    No Quibble Policy

Our "No Quibble Policy" is our way of showing customers that we always charge the right prices in our stores. It states that: "in the unlikely event of you being charged a price at the checkouts that is higher that the price mounted on the display, we will give you that item absolutely free and without quibble".

Now that suggests i should have gotten it free.

Is it worth chasing up?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It'd be worth at least sending a letter to their head office explaining what happened and what you have seen on the website.

As pointed out thats their policy, not the law, so being finnicky they could prob say there is some small print somewhere which was in place at them time... but cash is cash, so give it a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Now that suggests i should have gotten it free.

Is it worth chasing up?
    Too late now I'd say but you should definitely have gone for it on the day. They would have argued the toss with you given the amount involved but they would have been on shaky ground quibbling with their no quibble policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Unfortunately i didn't know about it.

I was happy to pay the money but i'd be even happier to not pay it

No harm in ringing customer services i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I would say it is too late. If however, you bought it at €261 then gone back and say you have been overcharged (pointing to the shelf price), you could ask them to comply with their policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I used to work there and the policy was thus:

If you PAID the wrong price and came back, [and argued, usually] you got the item free.

If you noticed the wrong price before paying, It gets adjusted to the correct price, that's it:- you get it for the price it was supposed to be, someone goes and takes down the wrong price and corrects it.

• Advertisement

Right.

I'm not unhappy about paying as i said.

I've emailed customer services, we'll see what they say about it. Who knows they might give me so vouchers of something

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Their 'no quibble' policy which originated in the Quinnsworth days definitely said that if the price on the till was larger than the shelf price when you were paying that you got it free.

And the interpretation of that in recent years (which matches the text of the signage, as far as i remember) only covers you if you've actually paid the higher price. If it's noticed before money changes hands, you don't get the item for free.

They became a lot more strict on this in recent years as our store had a few cases in a row one year of electrical goods that were stocked on top shelves, beside pillars, etc being missed when price changes rolled around. I doubt we were the only store this happened to.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.tesco.ie/csr/index.html#2
    Value Price Promise

Our Tesco VALUE price promise states that we will not be beaten on the price of our Value Brand products. We are so confident of our price position that we promise that, if a customer buys an equivalent product cheaper in another store within one mile of our store, we will refund the difference in price.

No Quibble Policy

Our "No Quibble Policy" is our way of showing customers that we always charge the right prices in our stores. It states that: "in the unlikely event of you being charged a price at the checkouts that is higher that the price mounted on the display, we will give you that item absolutely free and without quibble"

So there we go people, direct from horses mouth so to speak :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Igy wrote: »
    A only covers you if you've actually paid the higher price

Which has of course technically happened in this case.

He paid the higher price - and then had 50 E refunded.

• Advertisement

padser wrote: »
    Which has of course technically happened in this case.

He paid the higher price - and then had 50 E refunded.
    Apologies, I seem to have missed that detail.
    In that case, had he known and argued, he'd likely have gotten it for free.

No e-mail reply from tesco yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You are basically trying to screw Tesco.

They had a shelf price of €211 but it was actually €261. You pointed this out to them when you were paying. Rather than have the back office go up and mess with the system to make it ring up as €211 (which I'm not entirely sure they can do), the checkout attendant rang it up as €261 and gave you €50 back - so you got it for the shelf price. You were not charged more than the shelf price (which is when the no quibble policy applies) and you're only chancing your arm to be fair.

Now don't get me wrong, I'd be first up if I paid €261 and noticed it later on, and I'd insist on them keeping their no quibble policy and me getting a complete freefund. But what I don't like to see is people thinking they are entitled to things that they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

You are basically trying to screw Tesco.

They had a shelf price of €211 but it was actually €261. You pointed this out to them when you were paying. Rather than have the back office go up and mess with the system to make it ring up as €211 (which I'm not entirely sure they can do), the checkout attendant rang it up as €261 and gave you €50 back - so you got it for the shelf price. You were not charged more than the shelf price (which is when the no quibble policy applies) and you're only chancing your arm to be fair.

Now don't get me wrong, I'd be first up if I paid €261 and noticed it later on, and I'd insist on them keeping their no quibble policy and me getting a complete freefund. But what I don't like to see is people thinking they are entitled to things that they're not.

the man/woman is right folks at the end of the day you "payed" the shelf price it was done the way it was so not to have you hanging around IMHO

But if the policy is to give the item free then thats what should have happened imo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Tesco do not volunteer this policy information. They are relying on members of the public to know the policy. Unfortunately, you did not know it therefore you will not benefit from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Tesco do not volunteer this policy information.

Some stores have massive displays showing this at the customer service desk.
    Artaine Castle in Dublin 5 is an example.

It's hardly a secret

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Tesco do not volunteer this policy information. They are relying on members of the public to know the policy. Unfortunately, you did not know it therefore you will not benefit from it.

Doesn't make it wrong, the info is there if you look,.

Should we be pissed off because loads of companys don't tell consumers about there rights by law? No of course not because its upto the consumer to be informed before dealing with a company and buying a product/service.

Buyer beware :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

they also have this notice displayed in-store usually at the customer service desk and that is where you should try 1st ask to see a manager and explain the issue to them..

micmclo wrote: »
    Some stores have massive displays showing this at the customer service desk.
    Artaine Castle in Dublin 5 is an example.

It's hardly a secret
    Most of the older stores have a series of a large signs behind the checkout area, usually with the no quibble policy, a stamp machine for the savings thing, a payphone, public noticeboard, etc.
    I presume the same is true of the newer stores, too?

• Advertisement
Advertisement