Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I for one am pinning all my hopes of Irelands future on...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Mate of mine has been going on about him.

I predict he'll fade into obscurity (prove me wrong lad)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Why would you pin all your hopes on him PHB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

whatever happened to the kipper lad,adam rooney or something,he was on the front of all the papers about a year and a half ago saying he would be a superstar.wheres he?

and theres another lad from scotland who had declared for ireland,he is supposed to be unbelievable,i remember reading in the papers a couple of months ago that at one game there were scouts from liverpool,utd,spurs,chelsea,juventis and barcelona among others looking at him,whoever he is,i would be pinning my hopes on him tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't know about Rooney declaring for us over England. He's a Dub. I don't think anyone ever thought he was going to be a superstar. He scored a hattrick in his 2nd start for Stoke and has been very prolific and underage level. He's on loan in league 2 now though with 6 goals. He's a bit of a target man type player even though he's not the tallest (well he is for Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Adam Rooney's season to date: http://www.chatsoccer.net/irishabroad/playerDetails.xquery?playerID=43228&seasonID=137
    Chesterfield haven't lost a game where he has scored, and they've won every away game he scored in.
    He's there on loan to the end of the season AFAIK, still plenty of time for him there. His underage scoring record for Ireland is a goal a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Wasnt Terry Dixon supposed to be Ireland's answer to Wayne Rooney? He's still in the Spurs reserves now so whats that all about?

Media hype can pile alot of pressure on a young lad, we need high profile youngsters though otherwise what keeps up optimistic about the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

tets probably knows more but he's been injured for about 2 years.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Wasnt Terry Dixon supposed to be Ireland's answer to Wayne Rooney? He's still in the Spurs reserves now so whats that all about?

Media hype can pile alot of pressure on a young lad, we need high profile youngsters though otherwise what keeps up optimistic about the future?

He's still only 18 for one thing, and has missed the majority of the last 2 season with 2 successive serious knee injuries. The last of these threatened to end his career before it had properly began. He picked up another knee injury around the end of october, and afaik hasn't played since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Collins at liverpool is one for the future, also Haverty and Foran at Pats.

Rooney was homesick for a bit but seems to have got over it.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Robbie Brady is a special player. Kevins beat the team I coach in the latter stages of the SFAI 14s last season. Their whole team was top class in every way (they went on to win it - after winning it at 12s and 13s too) but Robbie was the star man alright. Blistering pace, the ability to beat a man with ease and an eye for goal are his main assets. In my book, a better player than Conor Clifford was at his age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

He's still only 18 for one thing, and has missed the majority of the last 2 season with 2 successive serious knee injuries. The last of these threatened to end his career before it had properly began. He picked up another knee injury around the end of october, and afaik hasn't played since

It's actually amazing how many of our young players pick up serious injuries just as people start to get excited about them. In the last few years there's been Colin Healy, Stephen Mc Phail, young Dixon and Richard Sadlier just of the top of my head. Its a terrible shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Damn. Sadlier was being lined up for a move to Villa before his injury, apparently he would have cost around 6 million.

Damn. Sadlier was being lined up for a move to Villa before his injury, apparently he would have cost around 6 million.

Now on the board of Pats and a qualified agent.

Kevin Grogan has to be the most horrible story of all the injured players.

http://indigo.ie/~bvr/Kevin1.htm

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

KdjaCL wrote: »
    also Haverty
    lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm told that Spurs are not that hopeful he'll fully recover from those injuries, and even if he does, he'll be plagued with recurrances for his career.

DesF wrote: »
    lol

?

The fact he signed a pro contract at 16 and has been playing 2 years ahead of his time for ireland not give you a clue that he may be useful? Sure what does Kerr know about young players eh? A shels fan watching some journeymen play obviously knows better :p

kdjac

Chesterfield haven't lost a game where he has scored, and they've won every away game he scored in.
    Of course I put the hex on him. Tonight he scored, and Chesterfield lost.
    flahavaj wrote: »
    It's actually amazing how many of our young players pick up serious injuries just as people start to get excited about them. In the last few years there's been Colin Healy, Stephen Mc Phail, young Dixon and Richard Sadlier just of the top of my head. Its a terrible shame.
    McPhail's carved out a decent career for himself at Cardiff, and has captained them one more than one occasion.
    I'm told that Spurs are not that hopeful he'll fully recover from those injuries, and even if he does, he'll be plagued with recurrances for his career.
    I saw this while I was googling around earlier: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A30882783
    But if this is the same guy then it could all be over: http://www.lyrics.com/profile.php?id=417931

<edit>
    There's also this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A27860178
    dc69 wrote: »
    and theres another lad from scotland who had declared for ireland,he is supposed to be unbelievable,i remember reading in the papers a couple of months ago that at one game there were scouts from liverpool,utd,spurs,chelsea,juventis and barcelona among others looking at him,whoever he is,i would be pinning my hopes on him tbh
    That's Jamie McCarthy at Hamilton Academicals. Supposed to be a fantastic prospect. I saw him play for the U-19's last year at UCD against Portugal. Stood out in the game, most likely due to his first team experience. Nearly every top side in Europe seem to have sent scouts to watch him.
    Scotland recently tried to get him to change his allegiance to Scotland - http://www.sundayherald.com/sport/shfootball/display.var.1961744.0.starks_mccarthy_mission.php - but he was having none of it and is intent on playing for Ireland - http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/01/15/International-McCarthy-agent/?facets/sport-space/football/great-britain-locale/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

KdjaCL wrote:
    Collins at liverpool is one for the future
    kdjac

Only if he can get out of Liverpool and get first team games. It would be preferable for his development if it were sooner rather than later.

He'd just signed a new contract at Millwall and was not being sought by any other club at that time

KdjaCL wrote:
    Now on the board of Pats and a qualified agent.
    kdjac
    Correct on the first part, wrong on the second. Richie is not a qualified agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm sure he'll save Ireland the same way Stokes and Rooney did.

Throw in another one.

Daniel Byrne aged 7 scored on his debut in DDSL futsal and got 3 assists.

One to watch, only 999 to catch Romario too.

Daniel-Dinho is the future!!!

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Sure wasnt stokes the saviour. hes proving to be a turd at sunderland. The expectations we pile on is nonsense.

Ive known a good few who've gone over there now with "great expectations" and they all failed. Stokes and O'Dea are the only two in top flight teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well, the last Irish player to come through United was McShane and it worked out pretty well. United tend to produce quite a few quality young Irish players, so I'm quite hopeful about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

PHB wrote: »
    Well, the last Irish player to come through United was McShane and it worked out pretty well.

lol.

I agree they do produce good players but very rarely for themselves (O' Shea is only one atm)and that knock in itself proves too much for most of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

If you have a 16/17 year old going in to a first team like Rooney or Fabregas, then you can start getting excited.

I hope these kids make the step up in time and wish them all the best of luck but it's way too soon to judge anything at this point.

Stephen Hunt(who I'm mentioning as because he's one of the two best Irish attacking players in the premierleague and the new-kid-on-the-block internationally) only started playing for Reading in the championship when he was 24/25.

Playing at the top level is a massive ask. A few were born to do it, some make the step up and some don't. You can tell very little about how that's going to progress when they're 16/17 though.

Advertisement