Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raw Discussion - 14/1/2008 (spoilers inside)

• 15-01-2008 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

I thought this was another good Raw with some really great moments.

- I didn't really get the point of the opening segment and thought it was a bit crazy to give away the main event of the PPV but obviously it was a set-up for the big spot at the end so it was an Ok start.

- The diva match was a mess. Maria and Ashley need a lot of work. This was more annoying to me than the diva nonsense from a week ago. Least it was short.

- Is that a new finisher for HBK now? At first I thought he f*cked up a sharpshooter attempt and tried to salvage the situation. Maybe not. I should probably have another look at it. Match seemed decent enough.

- Triple H vs Snitsky. Of course Hun-tor has to beat the f*ck out of Snitsky afterwards to hammer home the fact that he's still the man (not). Not that I give a sh*t about Snitsky but this insecure crap really pisses me off. So how I LOL'd at the f*cking disaster which occurred when they did the bit with Triple H and the screen. :D:D:D This was a wrestlecrap moment alright. I laughed my hole off at this. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. They even did a replay of it and I laughed my arse off again. I think I'll make that moment my new sig. I'd advise anyone who missed Raw to look for it on Youtube as WWE might edit it to make it look decent. Once again let me say...

LOL

- I liked the JBL promo on Jericho. I thought it was strong.

- I enjoyed the mini Rumble bit although I imagine some people would have hated it, but Hornswoggle doesn't annoy me as much as he does others so I felt this was a harmless bit of fun. I liked the ending with Finlay beating on Khali although I don't know where they're going with Finlay at the minute.

- The Flair/Regal match was way too short and I hate to say it but Flair seemed to me to be really showing his age here. The Flair angle seems to be sinking fast.

- Due to the time left on the show I figured this would be an angle rather than a match and I thought the spot was brilliant although quite scary. Should they be doing such a big spot the week after another big spot I wonder? Don't know what you guys think but I found it a bit too soon. The final moment with Jeff raising his arm in victory was a great finish however. Jeff has tons of momentum now and I really hope Vince decides to take a chance on Jeff. I remember prior to ECW One Night Stand in 2006 very few people felt Van Dam would take the win over Cena yet he did, so I hope we see a similar surprising victory for Jeff even though it's probably a long shot.

Overall an enjoyable Raw I thought. Now to find that crappy moment with Triple H to make into my sig. :D

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I agree this weeks Raw was overall quite enjoyable, infact I think it has been for quite a while now generally and as "The road to Wrestlemania" is just starting its quite likely to stay this way. I also agree that this weeks spot was prehaps a bit unecessary considering what Jeff did last week off the cage, but I have to give the spotmonkey credit as both this and last weeks spots were done perfectly and really looked great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I thought it was an ok Raw, better than last week. I don't get what you mean about the HHH bit with the screen though. He ripped it and smashed it, I assume that's what was meant to happen. The sparks and stuff looked set up obviously, but I'm not really sure what you mean

I liked the Hornswoggle battle royal, could have been much worse. I saw the Jeff spot coming for some reason, I just never noticed that thing he climbed up before so I assumed straight away that he'd be going to the top. It was fine I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

I remember prior to ECW One Night Stand in 2006 very few people felt Van Dam would take the win over Cena yet he did, so I hope we see a similar surprising victory for Jeff even though it's probably a long shot.

I remember to the contrary, I was convinced van Dam was going to take the title. That to me was the most obvious title change in the last few years, there was no way van Dam was going to lose at ONS. I can't see Jeff winning at the Rumble though, unless they put it back on Orton at No Way Out. I just can't see Jeff headlining Wrestlemania.

Sounds like a good show though, I really have to start watching Raw again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The Observer says that the reason HHH destroyed the video thing was because Raw will have a new set next week. SD too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fozzy wrote: »
    I thought it was an ok Raw, better than last week. I don't get what you mean about the HHH bit with the screen though. He ripped it and smashed it, I assume that's what was meant to happen. The sparks and stuff looked set up obviously, but I'm not really sure what you mean

It was clearly messed up. He looked like a geek trying to rip the thing and little pyrotechnics went off as if Gillberg was making his entrance. It was embarrassing.

This is what the Wrestling Observer review said of it:
    HHH tore the screen with the sledge hammer, and explosions went off in areas he didn’t hit. He threw the sledge hammer into the screen and an explosion went off. This may have sounded like a good idea, but it ended up looking unbelievably lame and fake.

To be honest I'd go further than that. It was cringeworthy stuff. Maybe they used up their budget on JBL. :D

I saw that on the Observer about it being used to bring in a new set. That makes it even more funny. Triple H ripped a screen so we need a new set everyone! Remember when Rhyno speared Jericho through the Smackdown set? That was ten times better than this week's fiasco!

Forgot to mention, Hun-tor looks set to make it to the Rumble after next week! I knew he would. Good bet to win it now since his ego might be a bit bruised. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Credit to Jeff Hardy for the spot but it was pretty fake, Orton was laying length ways and he suddenly ended up under Jeff facing sideways you could see them move too

Not like i want Jeff to jump on Orton from that height but the camera work could have been tidier to stay away until they were ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

With Christmas, New Years and exams, this is the first RAW I've seen (live or otherwise) in ages and it was great.

I'm really enjoying the Hardy/Orton feud. They're doing such a good job, it seems a shame that Orton will prob end up winning.I hope Jeff's great work of late and Triple H's supposed support will force Vince to put the belt on Jeff, even if it's just until No Way Out.
    Although, I wonder could they try to sell RAW's main event for 'Mania as Jeff Hardy Vs. Triple H. They kind of have a feud in the making going back to Survivor Series. I know I'd prefer that to Orton Vs. Triple H.

I liked Flair and Regal's match. It was nice to see Flair get a clean win. This angle is losing momentum, which is really sad. I want Flair to go out on top, but it ain't going to happen.

JBL and Jericho are doing a really good feud. It's simple and working. TNA take note.

the diva's match was awful, but what do ya expect Ashley and Maria need training (lots of training) or to be kept out of the ring. Period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Minto wrote: »
    I want Flair to go out on top, but it ain't going to happen.

WWE won't let it happen. It'll still be good in the end but nowhere near what it could (and should) have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

I enjoyed alot of the promo's tonight but i think there was way to many of them, very little proper wrestling content, i enjoyed the hornswaggle bit it was funny, and the promo before hand with vince i think was excellent and i think after a comedy start to this storyline i thinks its really setting up something nice for WM.

I agree with Mr nice guy on HHH, so funny, so bad, Huntar ! at his best. Was not a fan of the JBL promo just for the fact that it went on a bit to long, see how it develops next week. Tea and toilet break during diva match so dont know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Jeff Hardy has firmly cemented himself as a main-eventer now in my eyes. The spot itself was okay, but the raised arm as he was being carried off was awesome. The only thing lacking now is mic-skills, but that aside, Jeff will be the breakout star of 2008 no question. What's great about this as well is you have a face the fans actually want to cheer! It was simple good guy against bad guy booking and it couldn't have worked better. And you think how much time they wasted trying to get Lashley over.

Mini battle royal was actually quite funny....especially the mini Kane. Not a fan of Hornswoggle, but that match made me laugh.

Agreed with most about Flair/Regal, way too short. At least Flair actually won clean, rather than another DQ, giving the angle a shread of credibility.

JBL is the best heel in the buisness, I thought the promo was pretty intense. The OTT pyro and balloons were a nuisance though.

HHH will main event WM, whether he wins the Royal Rumble or not. I just hope it's not against Orton. Hell, HHH v Hardy would draw more IMHO. Any ideas who Hunter may be facing next week?

Overall, good show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

will be hhh v orton next week.
    also finlay no. 30 in rumble as part of "deal"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

- Triple H vs Snitsky. Of course Hun-tor has to beat the f*ck out of Snitsky afterwards to hammer home the fact that he's still the man (not). Not that I give a sh*t about Snitsky but this insecure crap really pisses me off. So how I LOL'd at the f*cking disaster which occurred when they did the bit with Triple H and the screen. :D:D:D This was a wrestlecrap moment alright. I laughed my hole off at this. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. They even did a replay of it and I laughed my arse off again. I think I'll make that moment my new sig. I'd advise anyone who missed Raw to look for it on Youtube as WWE might edit it to make it look decent. Once again let me say...

LOL

It wasn't THAT funny. Take a chill pill ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'm enjoying this Hardy/Orton feud an awful lot at the minute. jhardy is RIDICULOUSLY over and that raised arm bit at the end was just fantastic stuff, reminiscent of Foley after nearly dying in HIAC.

As for HBK's new finisher, is there any chance that him using a sorta incerted figure four is the beginnings of the build to a Mania match with Flair? I mean a match with a legend like Michaels seems to me to be a fitting way for Flair to bow out and if HBK can't make him look good on his last night, no one can.

The TV screen ting was totally unnecessary but hardly the wrestlecrap moment its being made out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

flahavaj wrote: »
    I'm enjoying this Hardy/Orton feud an awful lot at the minute. jhardy is RIDICULOUSLY over and that raised arm bit at the end was just fantastic stuff, reminiscent of Foley after nearly dying in HIAC.

As for HBK's new finisher, is there any chance that him using a sorta incerted figure four is the beginnings of the build to a Mania match with Flair? I mean a match with a legend like Michaels seems to me to be a fitting way for Flair to bow out and if HBK can't make him look good on his last night, no one can.

The TV screen ting was totally unnecessary but hardly the wrestlecrap moment its being made out to be.
    I was looking at HHH against Flair at the rumble, with HHH winning, but that's out the window not.

I think you make a great point about Michaels though, but he qualified this week.

I see it dragging on to WM. It would be a fitting tribute to see him win and then retire on his own merits.

Michaels did great again this week and I really liked that he was against Murdoch. Hopefully Cade will be back in time for the rumble and they will regain their titles soon after.

The Finlay angle, that Mr.NiceGuy mentioned, is obviously going to be a win over Khali.

The Divas were indeed a mess.
    Ashley needs training, but Maria is just eye candy and shouldn't even be in the ring.

As for Hardy, don't get your hopes up.
    Excellent angle, but Orton is keeping that title until HHH takes it at WM.
    It's a shame really. Aside from the poor mic skills, he's one of the greatest performers ever.
    The dive was brilliant viewing and is on a par with foley's drop from the top in the HITC.
    Of course he didn't land on Orton, but the sheer height is something to be in awe of.

[Controvertial]MNG, I believe your dislike of HHH is similar to my dislike of Orton, insofar as I know someone who resembles Orton (size too) and I feel you know a HHH loolalike and don't like him. [/controvertial]

I actually like HHH. I didn't like him when he debuted all those years ago and enjoyed watching the warrior destroy him at whatever WM that was. However, he has grown on meover the years.

Yeah, there is that whole clique thing and the fact that he married the bosses daughter, but I still think he would have made it to the top without that.
    Remember, the Madison square garden incident knocked him back a few years. He would have held the title earlier were it not for what happened that night.

Back to flavahaj and HBK's new finisher.

It has been discussed here before that the whole nip-up thing was getting stale. Perhaps he has taken up what fans have been saying and decided to change his finisher. After all, I'm sure the boards.ie wrestling fans are not the only ones a bit tired of it.

The match he had with Kennedy (kennedy) a couple of weeks back proves he still has it. Christ, that match blew me away. The performance Michaels put on was something I haven't seen from him since he wrestled Bret Hart. That was probably one of the best matches of the 2007.

As forJBL, that pretty much rined the rest of the show for me.
    I know there are a lot of JBL marks here, and I do appreciate that he can wrestle and is great on the mic, but the excessive fireworks was just lame.
    The fact that the arena was filled with smoke was really off-putting.

I'm looking forward to the feud with Jericho, but less of the fireworks, please. Give me ten minutes of ring work instead of the ten minute entrance and throw Kendrick and London in for a few mnutes instead of ten minutes of a lame indoor firework display.

Advertisement