Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar Restaurants

Options
  • 15-01-2008 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi there

Just wondering could anyone recommend a restaurant for my friends hen in Mullingar . There will be 12- 15 of us on a Sat night. The other bridesmaid has checked a few out.

Oscars will only take 8
    Fat Cats can do the numbers but I heard its small and the menu limited.

We are now thinking of the Chinese or Greville Arms or some place with a good atmosphere.

Is there anywhere else we should consider?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Pasta Bella was always good if you like Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

The restaurant downstairs in the Newbury Hotel is good and we have been there a couple of times in a big group (c. 20). Its a few months since I was there last but the food was very nice and good value. (I think the people who used to run Via Domenica took it over a year or so ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

Fats Cats may not have as big a selection as other restaurants do, but what they do have is quite varied, they have something for everyone and is also delicious!!

freyaplus wrote: »
    Fats Cats may not have as big a selection as other restaurants do, but what they do have is quite varied, they have something for everyone and is also delicious!!
    I'd have to disagree, I found what they did to range from 'acceptable' to not very satisfactory, and an interesting take on service.

Anyone try the new indian yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 69donal

Oscars or for a chinese the Amber Court

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Depends, If you're dpin the whole drunken night thing, hit Fat cats, Cantons is just downstairs, so they've really got a full bar list as well as nice wines, Food isn't gonna set the world on fire, But If you're jarrin heavily are you really gonna be focused on the food. That number will more or less fill the place.
    Greville is pox, Chinese isn't too bad, But I'd suss out the new Indian before booking ought else.
    Would Dog track be an option ?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chic chick

Thanks for all the advice. We have been warned off Fat Cats by a few people now and their set menu for us was pricey- in fact it was more expensive than any of the other restaurants. The girls have ruled out the Chinese before a nights drinking - I would have loved it.

It looks like the Greville Arms - the girls prefered their set menu. They do have a very good choice at the right price so I have been over ruled.
    AngryHippie wish us luck!

The dog tracked is booked out that night be we have a cocktail making competition organised for 2 hours before dinner.Maybe they won't notice if the Greville is pox.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

Occidental wrote: »
    Pasta Bella was always good if you like Italian.

best in the town IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭chic chick

Unfortunately Pasta Bella is closed for renovations on the date we wanted. They they are putting in more seating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Have a good one, get out of the greville before their effort at a night club gets started. Its a mess...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Gingemiester

Had dinner in Cellars (under Newbury Hotel) last night as was unable to book Oscars. I had heard good things about it. Won't be back. Had to wait half hour for water or drink, salads were out a bag and looked very poor, potatoes awful, and more expensive than Oscars....

Can't comment on desserts as refused to give them any more money for what was a very poor meal.

Cheers

There is a new restaurant opening in Mullingar (think it opened in the past few days) called Zest, would be interested to hear if anyone has tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

What about Mizzinis? It is next door to the chinese place, Amber Court.
    Does anyone have an opinion on the food there-was thinking of going at the week end with a few friends to celebrate something....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tazsjw

Hi, I'm organising the hen party and we were looking to do a cocktail lesson or competition. I can't find anything on the internet. Does anyone know who I could contact or where we could go?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

Has anyone eaten in Belfry in Mullingar. Heard reports it was nice and expensive..

Any reviews?

Featherl wrote: »
    Has anyone eaten in Belfry in Mullingar. Heard reports it was nice and expensive..

Any reviews?
    Are you sure the Belfry is still open? It closed some weeks ago as the most recent 'owners' were looking to open something in Mullingar town (haven't heard if they have yet).

I've eaten there a few times and would say it is quite expensive but still good value as the quality is very good, as good as you'll get in or around Mullingar. Lunch is particularly good value at c.16 euro. The setting is lovely, its good for a special occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

msg removed

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lizerb23

jp's steakhouse is amazing.. really good portions, lovely atmosphere and really nice staff. its pricey enough if the early bird isnt on, but it such good quality food..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Eiriu

The new Indian - Silver Oak is very nice indeed, I've been eating a good few iIndians in Dublin lately, so treated my family to one- lots of meat in the portions and great differentiation between meal choices. Best Indian I've had so far and reasonably priced- not a major expert in the area though.

Advertisement