Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scientology according to Tom Cruise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gd1987

orestes wrote: »
    He's one step short of declaring himself Jesus, let's nail him to a two-by-four and see what happens!

I like your thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

What a nutter!!! "We can rehabilitate criminals"... what I wouldnt pay to see this being done in the Joy.

He sounds a bit mental but tbh he sounds like any other religious zealot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

some more bits of his speech at some of the cults award ceramony here http://gawker.com/345563/tom-cruise-uncut-the-freedom-medal-award-ceremony

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Nightwish wrote: »
    What a nutter!!! "We can rehabilitate criminals"...

But they do, they make the actions of the criminals an actual religious act, afterall scientology regularly uses con-men, kidnappers, thugs for general physical beatings, etc...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Gonna watch it now, he's a strange umpa lumpa though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

orestes wrote: »
    Tom Cruise is gonna save us all!

He's one step short of declaring himself Jesus, let's nail him to a two-by-four and see what happens!

Ha lets go for it! :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

He's barking mad!! But scary too, and the fact that he has money and influence worries me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

can anyone explain to me in a nutshell what scientology is all about?...

man he does some ranting in that vid..... seriously effed up

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jobless wrote: »
    can anyone explain to me in a nutshell what scientology is all about?...

man he does some ranting in that vid..... seriously effed up
    In the 70's, a marginally insane science fiction writer wrote a story which he claimed to be true, saying human souls come from aliens who were tortured by an evil alien overlord and left on earth to die thousands of years ago. These aliens inhabited the bodies of primitive humans, thereby becoming their souls. He claimed that the torture of these aliens created the soul's suffering and unhappiness and is therefore the source of all unhappiness and worry in the world.
    Scientology of course, believes this story and claims that it can help with people's suffering and unhappiness. Provided that people are happy to part with their cash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_opera_in_Scientology_doctrine

Luckily, most of the modern world has seen that the story is about as "real" as Star Trek or Stargate and they haven't been granted "religion" status in most European countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

ha...and people believe this stuff... my god.... they must have milked Cruise for millions!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭nij

Just goes to show how fragile the human mind really is. $cientology brainwashers simply tell vulnerable people what they want to hear, and give them answers and courses of action to take. It's a pretty sick mind-rape, and many many people have been seriously shat on by this 'church'.

I'm not sure if Tom Cruise will ever snap out of it, because they value his celebrity status and would never do anything to upset him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jonny Haych

nij wrote: »
    Just goes to show how fragile the human mind really is. $cientology brainwashers simply tell vulnerable people what they want to hear, and give them answers and courses of action to take. It's a pretty sick mind-rape, and many many people have been seriously shat on by this 'church'.

I'm not sure if Tom Cruise will ever snap out of it, because they value his celebrity status and would never do anything to upset him.

That is not necessarliy true, will power is just non existant. Speaking of mind rapists, are the Catholic Church not doing the same frikin thing, are we to believe that "god" created the human race and the world in 6 days, then went n had an aule rest for himself on the 7th, proper Des Kelly style!?!

That is not necessarliy true, will power is just non existant.

What isn't necessarily true?

Speaking of mind rapists, are the Catholic Church not doing the same frikin thing, are we to believe that "god" created the human race and the world in 6 days, then went n had an aule rest for himself on the 7th, proper Des Kelly style!?!

Did I say we should believe that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Threads merged. And stay on topic everyone, this is Celeb and Showbiz, not Scientology versus Catholicism ;)

Out of interest, would this put anyone off going to see a Tom Cruise film? I was never exactly his biggest fan (loved Vanilla Sky but not a lot else) but now, unless it was meant to be brilliant, I probably wouldn't go to see one of his films. He's just too weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Thankfully I never liked him. Even before he was a crackpot.

I seen his video on you tube last night it almost seemed like a threat I also then watched the panorama special and it certainly opened my eyes .. I will be watching some more stuff when I get the time

I had to laugh http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055119265

It would definitlely make me wonder while watching one of his movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CoolSmileyGuy

After the recent media coverage on Scientology, I've taken some spare time to watch many anti-scientology activists videos as well as documentaries associated with this cult...and its very very worrying at how they operate with their "Fair Game" policy and their bullying tactics towards anyone that may oppose them..not to mention that the entire religion (cult) is built upon proven & documented lies.
    (Who could be so foolish as to be enticed to the likes of this?)

What freaks me out the most is that members of this cult have not just illegally infiltrated US government department (IRS) in the past, but they too pretty much own the police force in their "Scientology Mecca" town of Clearwater in Florida...

Soon they will be enforcing their "Ethics" upon us all, with their gestapo-esque enforcers of their OSA (Office of Special Affairs),and their paramilitary wing "Sea Org" fools.

They have even opened offices here in Dublin...

Due to all of this..I flatly refuse to ever watch another Tom Cruise film again...and I've a big wad of phlegm waiting for any Scientologist that may attempt to coerce me towards their cult.

His association and any other individual in the media eye is so immensley off putting for me.

(Apologies if this is has been offtopic slightly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I first came across scientoligists back in the 80s in Hollond .I thought they were a bunch of weirdos then and as i do now .The rantings of a Madman and sombody who cant act for ****e. Cruise is a creepy bollox .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

While I do think Scientology is freaky, I would agree with them that the cult of anti-depressants is a lot more worrying than they are. A lot of people do seem to be happy as Scientologists, and the Jesus freaks I see on the street are a lot more mentally ill than the Scientology freaks...

I also don't think Tom Cruise is a bad person. I think he genuinely believes he is doing the right thing.

It's still a freaky cult though, and that L Ron Hubbard guy was clearly a scumbag.

Don't you think its a little weird that the members of this cult are not physically or mentally able to see where the origins of this movement originate?

Plus L.Ron was renowned for his one true talent of hypnosis...

Its clear to see that they are all brainwashed.

• Advertisement

Don't you think its a little weird that the members of this cult are not physically or mentally able to see where the origins of this movement originate?

Plus L.Ron was renowned for his one true talent of hypnosis...

Its clear to see that they are all brainwashed.

It makes me think that alien stuff isn't an important part of their religion. I would imagine there are many parts of the bible (etc.) which are nuts, so I wouldn't personally focus on that stuff when discrediting them.

The fact that -

1. You have to pay them money
    2. L Ron Hubbard was a scumbag

- is what makes me distrust them.

I just had a scarey thought.. as Scientology is alive and well in Ireland, there is a high possibility that a member of this "movement" will read my and many others comments on this post and report us to their local OSA wing for a spot of "Fair game" harassment!

*hides*

I just had a scarey thought.. as Scientology is alive and well in Ireland, there is a high possibility that a member of this "movement" will read my and many others comments on this post and report us to their local OSA wing for a spot of "Fair game" harassment!

*hides*
    :D

/dials up the nearest OSA to rat on Seosamh1976

It's not that he's a bad person - he's just brainwashed. People like him are immune to logic and reason. He does believe he is doing the right thing. He sounds like a religious fundamentalist... just replace 'SP' with 'Infidel'. The way he talks about 'them and us' is frightening, and a sure sign of the real dangers of ANY religion.

If it 'works' for him, fine - he has millions of dollars and a huge income, but the poor vulnerable people who will no doubt be attracted to this 'answer to everything wrong with the world' cult will have their lives destroyed. Remember also, that Cruise is the most famous $cientologist, and the 'church' is only too aware of his influential status. They wouldn't do or say anything to upset him.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

nij wrote: »
    It's not that he's a bad person - he's just brainwashed. People like him are immune to logic and reason. He does believe he is doing the right thing. He sounds like a religious fundamentalist... just replace 'SP' with 'Infidel'. The way he talks about 'them and us' is frightening, and a sure sign of the real dangers of ANY religion.
    Very well put.

EDIT: Sorry saw someone else just posted the link to Cruise's acceptance speech

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

Here is a clever remix funnier than the original

Tom tries to recruit Will Smith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Advertisement