Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs in Mountrath early 90's

Options
  • 15-01-2008 10:37pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

I was shocked to hear in another thread here that Mountrath only has 8 pubs currently in operation. I seem to remember their was 17 back in the early 90's. I could be wrong so I've started a small list of the ones i remember. Some of the pubs i can't remember names to, so please give me a hand and let me know what i've missed.

Pub across from Anything Goes
    Kirwan’s old place on Main st.
    Mortimers
    Kellys
    Phelans across from Delaney’s Butchers
    Fountain House
    Delahunties
    Bredins
    Where Kirwan’s are now
    Purcells in the Square
    Bar beside Cleland's
    Another bar beside Clelands

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Thats 12 :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Danno wrote: »
    Thats 12 :)

:rolleyes: I was looking for one's that i'd forgotten as i can't remember them all. Haven't been their in years

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

Ok so here we go...........

1. The Ceder Inn
    2. Mullins Bar (I think its called the Olympic Arms)
    3. Gormans (Kirwans old place)
    4. Mortimers
    5. Tommy Kellys
    6. The Mountrath Inn (Phelans across from Delaneys butchers)
    7. Galbraiths
    8. Gallaghers
    9. Fountain House
    10. Delahuntys (Used to be Timmy Kirwans/ Drover Tavern)
    11. Roches (Where Eddie Kirwan is now)
    12. Bredins (Was Lannigans- The Sportsmans Inn)
    13. The Harp Bar
    14. Murphys Bar (now part of the minimart)
    15. Pat the vegs
    16. Johnny Purcells (The mad physcho Offaly lunatic!!)
    17. Tom Delaneys (It was called Fitzers)

I can remember a bar beside Austin Walshs years ago called Browners. Think I played pool there as a child! Early '80's

That is the old 17 folks....
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Mountrath

I think a few of these pubs are closed for good, as I noticed when I was in the shop one or two of the pubs have not opened for a while well since I moved here, when I did a tour of the town when I moved I only counted 7 or 8 pubs however others are probably over the bridge just ouside the immediate town, at least there is no shortage of pubs in the town....:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

7. Galbraiths
    8. Gallaghers
    17. Tom Delaneys (It was called Fitzers)

Top job Matt.

No. 7 sounds familiar, just can't remember where it was located?
    No. 8 No recollection of this place at all, where was it?
    No. 17. Sounds familiar. where was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

where is mortimers?

also was bennets called something different? i only ever remember it as bennets. its the one beside telfords in case you are unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

sme wrote: »
    where is mortimers?

also was bennets called something different? i only ever remember it as bennets. its the one beside telfords in case you are unsure.
    Kikel,
    Tom Delaneys is probably the busiest bar in town at the moment! Its on the right hand side of the town just passed the pedestrian lights.
    Galbraiths and Gallaghers here side by side across the road from Tom Delaneys.

Sme,
    Mortimers was a fine bar. It is closed now and looks terrible from the front. It is beside Gormans now across the road from the Bank of Ireland. It still has Mortimers over the door.
    Bennets has always been the Fountain House. Locally it was always refered to as Bennets and you are indeed correct that it is eside Telfords on the Dublin side.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

it never clicked with me that bennets has a differnet name over the door. i've never heard it being referred to as anything else other than bennets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PeadarC

Hi,

There was another pub in the Square just up from Purcells called McGoverns. There is/was a TV shop in it now. This was back in the 60's - 70's.
    Mulhares was a pub in the Square, also up from Johnny Purcells, I think there is a takeaway in it now. That makes 19.
    I am not sure if Galbraiths was a pub. It may have been in the very very distant past. I remember the shop in the 80's selling flowers, delph etc. I remember lifting a few apples from the orchade out the back ; )
    There is the Ceder Inn on the Rushin Rd, dont remember if this was mentioned earlier on this post. I think this pub is still there.
    A lot of pubs have changed hands many times over the years. Eddie Kirwan could write a book on it. He owned a good few different pubs and worked in a few more in his younger days.

P

Advertisement