Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Madden 08

• 16-01-2008 12:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭

I know mods that there is a computer games section, but any Madden threads there are riddled with cob webs, and I thouht there could be a fair few Madden players in this forum that don't venture to the games forums.

So, does anyone play Madden '08 here?

What are peoples opinion of the games?

What are your favourite plays?

How does '08 hold up against previous editions of the series ('08 is my first Madden game)?

Any sneaky plays that guarantee you first down or TD's?

Most importantly, anyone here like to play other boardsies online. I myself have a PS3 and my psn i.d. is Locksy5591.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Yeah I have the game and I have to say I love it.

Best play to get you a first down if your 3rd and 1 or 2 is the QB sneak.

My favourute play is the Play Action Stretch and then just throw it to your Running Back.
    Get's you at least 4 yards most times:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Yaah sneaks are very handy, but I do feel like a bit of a pussy when I use them.

Drags, wheels, or screens, I find almost always get you at least 8 yards, and can sometimes reap you a rake of yards, particularly if you have a good scrambling QB, you can draw in the d-line and safety, and then you RB is free to roam.

I find if i'm playing two player with a mate (offline), we rarely ever use quick or standard passes, the QB always seems to be to vulnerable to the sack on those plays.

Always find that if you have a great wide receiver, TO, Moss etc. that plays such as the Wide Receiver Cross, where your WR is running cross field, seem to come up trumps about 80% of the time. If successful, you will always gain a minimum of 11 yards, but with the good chance that you'll pick up 20+ yards or a TD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Ye its a great game, better than the last. I like the new special player system, i have it on my 360, PA WR cross is a great move with a average speed QB , get him to run to the side the WR are running to, and you'll get 12-18yrds almost everytime. but i try and stay away from that play, to easy.

Standard/quick passes are great to set up the other team for a post all corners or PA long , they start to play zone coverage alot when you use standard and quick passes. even on All-madden.

P.S Give us a pm for 360 tag if anyone is interested in a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I have it for the 360, and i have to say its really, really good. I like the weapons system too, its really a nice addition. I tend to use the running game a lot, especially on 3rd downs. I find it best to play with the Packers. Farve is the most reliable QB for me i think!

Gamertag: Y2J MUFC .......mightn't be online for a month or two though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting this game, but I don't know the first thing about American Football....as in I know absolutely nothing.

Is there good tutorials etc in the game to get you up to speed or is it pointless getting the game if you don't know what AF is all about?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Anyone playing this on live?

Gamertag below if you want a game sometime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I am playing Madden 06 :D. Got it for like a fiver so snaped it up. Michael Vick is awesome in it nothing like setting up a throwing play and when nothing is open have him sprinting out to the sidelines (You can't let him get hit as most of the time he will fumble) Good game I think its the last one before the Suprstar mode was introduced which is a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I play Madden 08 on the Wii ( which has its good points - you really feel more part of the game when you snap your wrist to snap the ball and throw forward to throw - and its bad points - quite a lot of annoying glitches! ).

Have always loved American Football and I think Madden 08 is a great game, despite the glitches. I currently have the Broncos in a Franchise season and I'm a WR in my rookie year with the Patriots in the Superstar mode.

My biggest gripe with the game, at least on the Wii, is that the instructions in the box are terrible. Yes, they do describe all the actions you can do with the Wii Controllers. But they really don't tell you much about the modes at all ( like Franchise / Superstar etc. ). You really have to fingure out how those parts of the game actually work. I've done lots of searching online ( and while there's lots of stuff out there, it's nearly all about good Offensive or Defensive plays, not, for example, the best stats to choose when creating a Rookie WR, or how to score points during the training sessions so you can add to your player's stats! ).

But that's all to do with the different options and modes within the game itself. With regards to how much you need to know about American Football before you play it, it's not too bad, there are quite a few tutorials etc. that give you the basics of the game. American Football has been rightly compared to chess, and if you want to there are all sorts of play formations and audibles and flips etc. you can do, but you can also choose basic running or throwing plays just to get used to it. If you're a newbie to American Football, I think you'll do ok following the tutorials and starting on the Rookie skill level.

I really do hopeMadden 09 gets rid of a lots of glitches, improves the graphics and comes with a decent sized book explaining all the different options you have in this great game, and I don't just mean a list of playbooks!

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I play as myself in Madden 08 in the career mode. Absolutely amazing and the best feature in the game. Starting off a rookie, getting drafted and working your way to the top. I suppose some people mightn't like controlling just one player but you are given the open to use the others as well. I do it rarely, and only on defence or special teams (my kicker is horrendous).

I've guided my Chiefs to the Superbowl in my second season and was the year's MVP so this year I'm going for that perfect season!

Madden and Pro Evo are the only two games you need to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Anyone ever up for a game on xbox live?
    Gamertag: manufan07

Don't have a mic though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭eggplantman

i have bin trying to get this game but its sold out every were i go.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭golfnuts

Picked it up in Smyths in airside yesterday for 50 bills..happy days..but limited stock levels they say. I had to ask for it, it wasnt on the shelves. good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Lewe

Byrnes world of wonder liffey valley have them...But i recomend getin them fro www.videogamesplus.ca i got madden 08 and ncaa 08(college football) for ps3 for 70 euro includin shippin...

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭golfnuts

How long do they normally take to deliver to Ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Whats NCAA like gamelay wise? Is it just Madden with players that aren't fully rounded yet?

Advertisement