Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

some smartphone problems. help?

• 16-01-2008 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Recently got a HTC S730, great phone but a few things are frustrating me:

Can anyone tell me why I can get everything to sync bar my contacts. It gets to a certain stage of the sync process and then says "Attention Required - could not be completed." If I uncheck the contacts sync, it'll sync my email, tasks, etc. I have 420 contacts which may be a little excessive, but they are all work related and I need them. Surely the number of contacts isn't causing a problem?
    Edit: Support Code: 0x8503001C

Have phone linked to office wifi network, secured etc. How do I know when I'm browsing on my own network or on O2's network? I got hit for about €15 worth of data for a measly 2mb. I know there is a little symbol to say that the wifi is on but I'm looking for a guarantee that I'm not browsing on O2's network.

Downloaded Google Maps and it works fine. Is there a date charge while using it? I thought the maps were on the phone and you just access the maps when you want. I don't need GPS on it as I have one in car, just a map every now and then to get bearings while walking or finding a street I'm not familiar with, etc.. Does the "My location" connect to the internet to check where you are or does it use the phone's last cell location to pinpoint you. I would basically like to just see the map without it being 'live' if you know what I mean.

I want to sync my office mail fully with phone, including all attachments, etc. but when I'm out and about, I would just like to get message body (10 or 20kb or so). Do I have to change the way the email is set up to do this, i.e. change settings to download 20kb max when out of office and then change back when I'm in office to get full message incl attachment?

I know there are tons of applications on the web but rather than hit and hope, can anyone recommend some to me please? I downloaded opera mini which is great.

What data plan should I go on? I run a small business, out and about a few times a week and don't need a drip feed of email like a blackberry but would like the option to get it if I feel that I'm gonna be out of the office for a long period and not have clients waiting a couple of days to get a response. (Don't use Microsoft Exchange). Also, internet on the move isn't critical but some use of it would be good. Don't feel I should have to pay excessive charges for O2's 10gb rate but maybe another tariff would be good?

7. And finally!!!!.....is there a setting I should be using to sync the calendar both on the phone and on my PC? At the moment, if I delete something on phone, it doesn't delete it on PC when I sync. I know it's something silly but I can't find the solution.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Any info is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

OCD wrote: »
    Recently got a HTC S730, great phone but a few things are frustrating me:

Can anyone tell me why I can get everything to sync bar my contacts. It gets to a certain stage of the sync process and then says "Attention Required - could not be completed." If I uncheck the contacts sync, it'll sync my email, tasks, etc. I have 420 contacts which may be a little excessive, but they are all work related and I need them. Surely the number of contacts isn't causing a problem?

Have phone linked to office wifi network, secured etc. How do I know when I'm browsing on my own network or on O2's network? I got hit for about €15 worth of data for a measly 2mb. I know there is a little symbol to say that the wifi is on but I'm looking for a guarantee that I'm not browsing on O2's network.

Downloaded Google Maps and it works fine. Is there a date charge while using it? I thought the maps were on the phone and you just access the maps when you want. I don't need GPS on it as I have one in car, just a map every now and then to get bearings while walking or finding a street I'm not familiar with, etc.. Does the "My location" connect to the internet to check where you are or does it use the phone's last cell location to pinpoint you. I would basically like to just see the map without it being 'live' if you know what I mean.

I want to sync my office mail fully with phone, including all attachments, etc. but when I'm out and about, I would just like to get message body (10 or 20kb or so). Do I have to change the way the email is set up to do this, i.e. change settings to download 20kb max when out of office and then change back when I'm in office to get full message incl attachment?

I know there are tons of applications on the web but rather than hit and hope, can anyone recommend some to me please? I downloaded opera mini which is great.

What data plan should I go on? I run a small business, out and about a few times a week and don't need a drip feed of email like a blackberry but would like the option to get it if I feel that I'm gonna be out of the office for a long period and not have clients waiting a couple of days to get a response. (Don't use Microsoft Exchange). Also, internet on the move isn't critical but some use of it would be good. Don't feel I should have to pay excessive charges for O2's 10gb rate but maybe another tariff would be good?

7. And finally!!!!.....is there a setting I should be using to sync the calendar both on the phone and on my PC? At the moment, if I delete something on phone, it doesn't delete it on PC when I sync. I know it's something silly but I can't find the solution.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Any info is very much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Not too sure about the PIM syncing stuff but for the other questions:

Q2. When you want to connect to wifi you just need to make sure the wifi is on (obviously) and go into settings>connections>wifi and tap on the connection you want.

Q3. You have to pay data charges to access Google maps. They aren't already on the phone.
    I'm pretty sure you need inbuilt GPS to get Google maps to find your location automatically (Google maps works very well with inbuilt GPS).
    However basic mobile phone triangulation might be able to offer something, someone else could confirm that.
    Having said all that there were rumours that your device does indeed have inbuilt GPS and it just needs to be activated with a ROM update. Not too sure if HTC are supporting it though.

Q5: Check out www.handango.com or www.pocketgear.com for commercial apps (and some free apps).

The HTC s730 is a non-touchscreen WM smartphone.
    It uses WM Standard so look for the apps for WM standard (smartphone) not professional (touchscreen pocketpc phones). Not as many apps around as there are for Professional but the number is growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭OCD

thanks a mil for the reply. will check out those websites you mentioned.

Advertisement