Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CIT or UCC

Options
  • 16-01-2008 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Which is better????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cheerio

That obviously depends on what course you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I went to UCC for 9 years and taught in the CIT for 2 years.

UCC is a university (1st or 2nd best in the country), and going there puts a great name on your CV as well as opening up some network doors.

CIT is a great IT, and offers a different variety of courses to UCC. Some of the courses on offer are the best in their field.

As others have said, both have their positives. It all depends on the course that you're interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

I'm having a bit of a dilema myself about that one, not me really, my son. He wants to be an accountant and has been told CIT is a better option for him. He will only be 17 going, if that makes a difference.

Anyone with an opinion on this? Would love some feedback from anyone who has done the course.

Thanks a mil :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

God i wish i knew which was better, im currently in st. Johns cause i was 2 stuburn to take my 2nd choice...

They're both meant to be brilliant for science (what im gonna study) but past students of CIT and UCC tell me employers are more likely to employ CIT graduates with the same qualification as UCC graduates as CIT have (or had) a tendency to do more practical lab work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

dudara wrote: »
    UCC is a university (1st or 2nd best in the country).

Eh? Dudara, can you give a source to back that up? Wouldn't have ranked UCC that high myself on the basis of THES or JiaoTong, which while not the best guides are an indicator.

OP, in terms of choice, very much depends what you want to do. You are lucky in Cork you have two very good institutions to choose from.

RAFC wrote: »
    I'm having a bit of a dilema myself about that one, not me really, my son. He wants to be an accountant and has been told CIT is a better option for him. He will only be 17 going, if that makes a difference.

Anyone with an opinion on this? Would love some feedback from anyone who has done the course.

I don't know if it the same in CIT but I have a number of friends who studied accounting in AIT despite getting the points for University. Because in the end they had to do less professional exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

dudara wrote: »
    UCC is a university (1st or 2nd best in the country), and going there puts a great name on your CV as well as opening up some network doors.

typical response from a UCC grad:D But you do have a point, I work in Cork (went to WIT) and there seems to be an old boys club going on with UCC heads...they can't seem to ever let go of the fact that they went to UCC. Anyway, where I work (an IT company) I have noticed we are hiring far more CIT grads than UCC, I think ITs tend to be better for practical hands on experience and in the software industry that is an advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

I went to both.

I found UCC to be full of twats and CIT to be full of more normal people.*
    The talent was way better in UCC though.
    It really does depend on what career you want to pursue. Both colleges have their positives.

*Massive over-generalisation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

Thanks Moonbaby - wouldn't it be great if that was the case, less exams has to be bonus. :D especially when studying ain't his forte :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

TJJP wrote: »
    Eh? Dudara, can you give a source to back that up? Wouldn't have ranked UCC that high myself on the basis of THES or JiaoTong, which while not the best guides are an indicator.

OP, in terms of choice, very much depends what you want to do. You are lucky in Cork you have two very good institutions to choose from.
    IIRC hasn't it won Uni of the year more than once in the past while?
    I went to both.

It really does depend on what career you want to pursue. Both colleges have their positives.
    I'd agree with this. I went to UCC, loved my time there. Will more than likely go back to do my masters. A lot of my friends went/go to CIT and tbqh it's a better "team" kinda place, very friendly and always something on. When I was in UCC I had the lawsoc and stuff but beyond that it was a stuck up, distant kind of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    IIRC hasn't it won Uni of the year more than once in the past while?

Haven't they all... (-:

On Accountancy, if AIT is in the mix, look at DCU too. Great business school there, in particular recognised for accountancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

If you want to get a job quickly out of the course, i'd advise CIT. People who go to UCC often end up doing alot of courses. They may be very knowledgable but they wont be earning a proper wage till they're 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Haven't they all... (-:

On Accountancy, if AIT is in the mix, look at DCU too. Great business school there, in particular recognised for accountancy.
    What? They definitly won it in 2003/2004 anyway.
    phi3 wrote: »
    If you want to get a job quickly out of the course, i'd advise CIT. People who go to UCC often end up doing alot of courses. They may be very knowledgable but they wont be earning a proper wage till they're 30.

lol massive generalisation. I'm graduated 6 months and am earning a proper wage along with countless other graduates in different areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

yes, its ageneralisation. Of course its not true for everyone. But i have seen alot of cases of it.

I am referring to the Sunday Times University rankings which placed UCC 1st in 2003-2004 and 2005-2006. UCC competes mainly with Trinity for placing in these ranking systems.

TBH I found UCC to be a great home for me while I was there. The academic staff in my department were supportive and I just loved the ambience of UCC. It has changed recently with the moved to semesterisation and so on.

I would never have compared CIT and UCC in terms of 'posers' etc. Thats just seems like a reason to me to justify your choice when your choice should be based on academic standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

All I know is CIT is more structured in general. More 9-5 and roll calls in class etc. As far as I understand there are penaltys for not turning up to class.

Where I went to UCC I hardly ever went to class but still got an honours degree.

I imagine either will prvide with good opportunites if you are in the top 5 in your class.

I sounds a lot like school days to me in CIT but as I never went there so I may be talking through my hat.

My recomendation is that if you can afford it go abroad to the UK. Better courses for less points and a far better college experience as you are away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Can i ask what you were doing in UCC for 9 years?

Degree in Physics and PhD in Electrical & Electronic Engineering. I saw UCC from the side of both student and staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

I went to both.

couldnt get over the girls in UCC it was mental, could not been seen with out their A&F or UGGs & cantos!!

*SHUDDER*

but i dont judge! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I went to UCC and enjoyed the laid back atmosphere, nice campus, great facilities, and location nearer to the city centre. I visited my friends in CIT and it felt more like a big secondary school - e.g., lecturers taking attendance every morning (some lecturers took attendance in UCC but it didn't make a difference in my course if you never showed up till the exams).

In the world of work, I have experienced a preference among employers towards a national university than an institute of technology. Whether it is true or not I feel that the general perception among the public is that graduates from a university are superior. In my own experience, I find that graduates in Institutes of Technology work harder and end up knowing more, because some of them must maintain a certain grade average over the year, and they have to attend all their classes, etc. Might not apply in the case of CIT.

I think UCC is a better choice overall, but it may depend on the course you're doing, and your reasons for doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I was at CIT for a few months and UCC for a few years and I'd prefer UCC. As others have said though, it all comes down to the course.
    No arguing with this. I don't think you'll find anywhere in Cork with a higher concentration of babes than the UCC campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

I go to CIT.I think its a good college with people who are normal and not trying to be something they're not(Not that UCC are but you do find a good few)
    Of course UCC looks nicer but it is a university afterall and gets more funding.
    But as previously mentioned, it really depends on the course you're doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm in CIT having left UCC after a year and a half, much prefer CIT, ok the pressure from lectures is not suited for everyone but I found in UCC the lecturers dont give a toss about you and dont even recognise you if they pass you in the corridor.

But ultimately it comes down to what you want to do and what approach you prefer. I have heard that Accounting is better in CIT and prospective employers have close links with that course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

RAFC wrote: »

Went to both myself. Two years in the CIT and six in UCC. For accountancy, you're better off in UCC. Even if the courses are better in CIT. There is a huge bias against the ITs from the Big Four and certain banks as well.

However, when it comes to engineering, I know that CIT is superior in terms of course structure and i'd recommend it over UCC. Not sure how employers view it though.

Personally, I felt that CIT was too much like secondary school, I couldn't believe they took roll-call at the start of classes. Futhermore the campus is very poor in relation to UCC (But it has got a lot better since I was there).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Crawford is the win. Our accounting dept might disappoint though.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

never been to cit but i can say that ucc can be both impersonal and rigid, i was doing arts and it was fine and there are loads of clubs but im doing nursing now and wish it was in an it.... theres a LOT of BS attached to ucc and its nice to be able to say i will have a nui degree but the hassle and fallacy is NOT worth it at times....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Afraid to say that i dont think the campus in CIT has gotten better, lectures in prefabs are gone but the new building seems to be vastly underused.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Ucc Better location, easier to get to, far better talent, far better campus, shorter hours, less work, university rather then IT on your cv.
    CIT Friendlier staff and students. People tend to make more good friends then in UCC. Just because its an IT i doesnt mean the qualifications arent as good. In anything more practical - computers, engineering etc they tend to be better courses while in the business area UCC seems better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

It can depend on what course you're doing. I'm in CIT and they rarely take attendance at my classes, if ever.

Advertisement