Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CIT or UCC

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Kold wrote: »
    Crawford is the win. Our accounting dept might disappoint though.

Most sensible reply to this whole thread, I reckon.

The variety of reasons people have chimed in with to justify why the college they went to are entertaining to say the least, although I feel compelled to say that if you think you need attendance to be taken in order to "force" you to go to lectures, you should probably rethink your reasons for being in Higher Education...

Anyway, back to the argument about whether the average increase in hotness of the female contingent in UCC is offset by their collective fascination with handbags. Or whatever stupid crap it was that this thread has ended up being a discussion of...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Kidd-o wrote: »
    couldnt get over the girls in UCC it was mental, could not been seen with out their A&F or UGGs & cantos!!

Man, I feel old and crap since I don't know what any of those things are, except for the cantos and I have a feeling I've got the wrong context... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Fysh wrote: »
    The variety of reasons people have chimed in with to justify why the college they went to are entertaining to say the least,

deeply depressing I'd have said (as a fan of education and learning)

maybe at some point someone will want education related information.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

Man, I feel old and crap since I don't know what any of those things are, except for the cantos and I have a feeling I've got the wrong context... :o

i dont know what cantos are

they must b the comm babes or possibly student nurses, fellow student nurses......... groan.... uggs? ugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I'm curious now, I thought a canto was the guy who led the singing in a synagogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

I'm curious now, I thought a canto was the guy who led the singing in a synagogue.
    and I thought it was what dubs call that mad french former man utd player........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

The dictionary.com definition of a canto is one of the main or larger divisions of a long poem with cantos being the plural, which is the only definition I know of the word. I'm guessing it doesn't apply to Kidd-o's post unless they're English lit students.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

Their those Canterbury sweatpants that almost everyone seems to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

kmick wrote: »
    All I know is CIT is more structured in general. More 9-5 and roll calls in class etc. As far as I understand there are penaltys for not turning up to class.

There is and there isn't. A lot of lads that were on grants were told that if they didn't go to class their grant would be stopped. It happened to one guy I knew and I haven't seen him since. If you do badly on an assignment or turn one in late the lecturers used to go easier on you if you had high attendance, rather than go out of their way for someone who doesn't even bother showing up to class.

I went to CIT - In the CAO/CAS form I put it down as my first choice and UCC as my second. My careers guidence teacher thought I was mad but the simple fact was that everybody I knew who was going to UCC was miserable. I've known people who really enjoyed themselves at UCC but anybody I've known who went to both prefers the social scene at CIT. In terms of course work - comparing my experience with a friend who went to UCC at the same time - CIT had a lot more supervised lab time which was vital in some subjects.

In terms of the 'old boys club' I think it depends who's hiring you. I've heard people say a degree from UCC is worth more than a degree from CIT, but in reality people who went to CIT tend to favor people from CIT and people who went to UCC tend to favor people from UCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 JXP99

Both CIT and UCC are excellent we should be proud to have both of them here in Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Obviously depends on what you want to study, UCC for disciplines such as Law and Medicine etc CIT for Engineering and other faculties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

Went to both myself. Two years in the CIT and six in UCC. For accountancy, you're better off in UCC. Even if the courses are better in CIT. There is a huge bias against the ITs from the Big Four and certain banks as well.

However, when it comes to engineering, I know that CIT is superior in terms of course structure and i'd recommend it over UCC. Not sure how employers view it though.

Personally, I felt that CIT was too much like secondary school, I couldn't believe they took roll-call at the start of classes. Futhermore the campus is very poor in relation to UCC (But it has got a lot better since I was there).
    Thanks Oafley Jones for that, CAO done, he has opted for UCC first choice, so fingers crossed - now all he needs are the points to get there :)

Advertisement