Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EJS Sale

• 16-01-2008 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Was in ejs this evening and they were starting their sale

got jeans reduced from 119 to 50 euro and 2 shirts reduced from 80 to 40 euro

well worth a visit- everything half price and lower

i hope this does not contravene forum rules but i have no connection with this shop.

move it or edit if required

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Even with a sale on, I don't think I'd have enough money to buy a pair of socks in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Even with a sale on, I don't think I'd have enough money to buy a pair of socks in there.
    As bad as that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Ralph Lauren in the states sells shirts for $40 that EJs and other such retailers in Ireland (not isolating this shop) sell for €120.

That's a 400% mark up on the price.
    So even in a sale they are still ripping the public off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

totally agree they are a joke.when someone they know goes in,even not very well and they by a suit,or a couple of items they'll whack 100 quid of the price like that,goes to show what they are making!!last thin i got in their was a blue ralph lauren jacket for 50 reduced from 350.was in teh week before when it was 350 and was like how class is that.then when saw it reduced to 50 was my lucky day...was in the shop recently and they still have it 6 months on in there,at 350!!crazyyyy money for a bit of material

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Ralph Lauren in the states sells shirts for $40 that EJs and other such retailers in Ireland (not isolating this shop) sell for €120.

Go in and try something on, if you like it, note the style number and head on over to one of the many ebay clothing shops...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Did anyone else see the ad for the sale in the Champion paper?
    It's very original! nice legs boys :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

Last time I went in there, the only thing I liked was a brown Ralph Lauren jacket. It cost €600:eek: Needless to say I left it there. I'm sure all the new shops have hit them and other established Sligo retailers massively seeing as some of them actually offer value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

il gatto wrote: »
    Last time I went in there, the only thing I liked was a brown Ralph Lauren jacket. It cost €600:eek: Needless to say I left it there. I'm sure all the new shops have hit them and other established Sligo retailers massively seeing as some of them actually offer value for money.

Guys

there is also a thing in ireland called Tax and VAT which must be paid. Yes I agree that shops are making profit, that is the whole of idea of business, but surely you can not slate them from making money. If you feel so strong against the overcharges set up your own clothes store and see what you are going to charge for a bit of material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Rossibaby wrote: »
    totally agree they are a joke.when someone they know goes in,even not very well and they by a suit,or a couple of items they'll whack 100 quid of the price like that,goes to show what they are making!!

They normally are savagely expensive. They do have a good enough range of styles there though. But whenever they have sales on I can never find a pair of jeans sized 32/32!

I got a suit there a couple of years ago and they did give me something like a €100 discount off it, so I was happy with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

But whenever they have sales on I can never find a pair of jeans sized 32/32!

Your not much of a "Guinness Drinker" if you have a 32" waist!:D
    Lucky Bugger!:(

• Advertisement

nanook wrote: »
    Guys

there is also a thing in ireland called Tax and VAT which must be paid. Yes I agree that shops are making profit, that is the whole of idea of business, but surely you can not slate them from making money. If you feel so strong against the overcharges set up your own clothes store and see what you are going to charge for a bit of material.

A former employee of an established (not mentioned in this thread) Sligo menswear shop told me they often had a markup of 300% and sometimes as much as 400%. Yes there's overheads, but that sort of pricing is silly. In some cases certain brands forbid selling below RRP, but alot of the time cheaper brands are overpriced at huge margins. They make a living out of a small turnover of stock by milking the prices. The new additions to Sligo's shopping scene have a different business model. High volume of sales with smaller margins. It'll make you around the same amount per sq. ft. of retail space, but it's more work.
    I wouldn't suggest any business should exist to lose money, and they have every right to cater for the market they do. It's just that I rarely shop there because I don't think it represents value for money.

They normally are savagely expensive. They do have a good enough range of styles there though. But whenever they have sales on I can never find a pair of jeans sized 32/32!

I got a suit there a couple of years ago and they did give me something like a €100 discount off it, so I was happy with that.

Try Next. They do 32/32's I think. And their pricier jeans are actually very nice. I got a pair for €75 that looked nearly the same as a pair of Diesel I paid €140 for.
    If you ask in E.J.'s, they can order them for you though. They don't mind doing it. If it's a designer lable (Diesel, CK, Ralph Lauren etc) as opposed to Levi's and Wrangler, I think it's a bit harder as they keep changing the range every season.
    I wouldn't bother, but then I'm lazy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

il gatto wrote: »
    Try Next. They do 32/32's I think. And their pricier jeans are actually very nice. I got a pair for €75 that looked nearly the same as a pair of Diesel I paid €140 for.
    If you ask in E.J.'s, they can order them for you though. They don't mind doing it. If it's a designer lable (Diesel, CK, Ralph Lauren etc) as opposed to Levi's and Wrangler, I think it's a bit harder as they keep changing the range every season.
    I wouldn't bother, but then I'm lazy. :)

Nah, its ok, I'm not looking for a pair of jeans at the moment. I was just talking about past experiences during sales in the shop. I know your point about ordering stuff in though. In fairness the people that work there are always sound enough.

Advertisement