Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Americans and obesity

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Kernel32 wrote: »
    I love the little stories people tell about all the junk food in America. They obviously don't get out very much when they are visiting.

I'm not saying that there aren't a lot of over weight Americans. I am saying the stories about lack of availability of good food is complete BS.
    I would have been shocked if there was not a higher selection of healthy food in the US than here. You are absolutely right I for one did not "get out very much" in NY, I was there for a short time and was mainly shopping in the centre. In dublin I can go to any number of supermarkets and get stuff, but I live here and know where to go, but I did go to a supermarket and could not get a apple or normal cheese, any centra in town has them in dublin. Porbably could have found a place if I looked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

in fairness though, Ireland doesn't have a chain of shops ike 7 elevens. Supermarkets liek shaws have good food but 7 elevens are COMPLETELY full of junk food. I was in shock when I first visited one. It is wall to wall garbage. You'd have a hard time imagining such a shop could exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

rubadub wrote: »
    I would have been shocked if there was not a higher selection of healthy food in the US than here. You are absolutely right I for one did not "get out very much" in NY, I was there for a short time and was mainly shopping in the centre. In dublin I can go to any number of supermarkets and get stuff, but I live here and know where to go, but I did go to a supermarket and could not get a apple or normal cheese, any centra in town has them in dublin. Porbably could have found a place if I looked.

On the flip side we spent nearly a month back in Ireland last year. We shopped at Tesco's and SuperQuinn many times and couldn't get anywhere near the variety in fresh food we get here. I think overall the quality was pretty good but we missed the fact that over here all the local supermarkets have a large section that is purely natural products, like a supermarket within a supermarket. I was surprized it hasn't caught on in Ireland yet but in time it probably will. The success of the chain natural food stores like Whole Foods and Wild Oats in the states has forced the large main stream supermarkets to stock more and more natural products. I think Whole Foods is opening in England now too, it's probably only a matter of time when it comes to Dublin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I think Samoans are just genetically massive. There are quite a few over my neck of the woods, I see no reason to believe they're eating any more or less than anyone else. Just seems to be the way they're built. I guess they might have been selectively bred to play Rugby?

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SteveS

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Not if you live in Shíthole City in Kentucky it isn't.
    Everything seems to be based on High Corn Fructose Syrup.

Never been to ****hole City, but I used to live in Bumfart, Wisconsin. Despite all the large people, there is a fairly high demand for 'lite' food and low fat stuff. I live in a small town now that has a huge produce section and you can get healthy food if you avoid the prepackaged and processed stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

I think Samoans are just genetically massive. There are quite a few over my neck of the woods, I see no reason to believe they're eating any more or less than anyone else. Just seems to be the way they're built. I guess they might have been selectively bred to play Rugby?

NTM

LOL. Whats the Nauru'ans excuse? (more important, what are people from Nauru called?).

Could a part of the problem be misleading packaging though? This probably seems like a cheap blaming act, but I often see larger people at the till, and a lot of the stuff they buy is diet this and low fat that.

I was surprised recently to see a comparison on biscuits, (aptly enough) and the low fat version of a particular biscuit had more calories than the regular ones. I know nothing about nutrition, so really don't understand the mechanics of how that is, but it does show that some people might be just getting conned into buying particular products, hoping for a store bought miracle answer to their weight, but instead getting lumbered with even more calories. Of course, less pies would also be good, but I'm sure the real reasons for this are more complicated than everybody just being greedy monsters.

I am seeing more and more people in Ireland who are beyond fat, and are really at "holy God" stage though, and I actually feel quite sad when I see somebody dealing with the very obvious physical limitations they endure due to something that in most cases can be dealt with. Its a tragic way for society to go.

Kernel32 wrote: »
    On the flip side we spent nearly a month back in Ireland last year. We shopped at Tesco's and SuperQuinn many times and couldn't get anywhere near the variety in fresh food we get here. I think overall the quality was pretty good but we missed the fact that over here all the local supermarkets have a large section that is purely natural products, like a supermarket within a supermarket. I was surprized it hasn't caught on in Ireland yet but in time it probably will. The success of the chain natural food stores like Whole Foods and Wild Oats in the states has forced the large main stream supermarkets to stock more and more natural products. I think Whole Foods is opening in England now too, it's probably only a matter of time when it comes to Dublin.

I used to frequent one of these stores in NYC. Vegetarian heaven.
    Believe it or not, the range of fruit and vegetables available in Ireland has exploded over the last three years, thanks to immigration. Traditionally vegetables do not agree with Paddy.

I have travelled the extensively through 3 of the top 10 states on the obesity scale, and there are plenty of "cities" where the identikit fast food parks and if they were lucky truck stop multipurpose stores seem to be the only source of sustenance.

Diet foods are indicative of a problem and not a solution to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Is it just me or does it cost more to eat healthy?
    My typical shopping list for a week cost me 45euro or more... :mad:
    Before xmas i wasn't bothered and shopping list for a week cost me 24euro:D
    Fruits are expensive! How the hell are we supposed to eat apples when it's cheaper and tastier to eat sausages...:confused:

I live alone btw, although i have some rats(friends) over most times so i shop for them as well-fat bastards!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

49% of australians are overweight.

to work off a can of full fat coke, you need to walk 3km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Or, sit very still for an hour and a half. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What's that? :confused:

There's no fat in coke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Slow coach wrote: »
    What's that? :confused:

There's no fat in coke.
    That's because they cut it with slim fast here in other countries they just use talcum powder or flower, sometimes even sherbet dip for the sheer hilarity of watching people use it.

:D

2Scoops wrote: »
    Or, sit very still for an hour and a half. :rolleyes:

im not sure how that burns of the additional calories tbh?
    Keep your rolleyes for when youre smart.
    slowcoach wrote:
    What's that?

There's no fat in coke.

as opposed to coke zero or diet coke. for the slow among you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Still no fat in coke, for the slow amongst you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

im not sure how that burns of the additional calories tbh?
    Keep your rolleyes for when youre smart.

Do you know much about energy expenditure? Here's a confused face: :confused: Hopefully, it won't offend you too much, idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 BOOBLESS

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Do you think Americans are obese because they feel guilty about Hiromisha, so they have embraced the sumo culture?

Do us a favor their buddy and come up with something that will hold a little more water than your statement above. Stupid statement indeed. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

But there is no fat in coke. There are more calories but 0 fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

BOOBLESS wrote: »
    Do us a favor their buddy and come up with something that will hold a little more water than your statement above. Stupid statement indeed. :eek:

i think it was a joke.. (however bad!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

SteveS wrote: »
    He is also dumb if he thinks Oklahoma is part of the "South". Most people from Oklahoma consider themselves part of the West.

Much of my family is from Oklahoma. No way do they consider themselves from the west. They are Oklahomans first, and southerners second.

As a Texan(and a Southerner), I will say that the food in the South is quite tasty, loaded in fat, often fried, and very cheap. Portions can be ridiculous, too. You can eat 3 meals a day at McDonalds, Dairy Queen, or KFC for the equivalent of €7 total.

Buffets are everywhere, and all the food is insanely high in sodium, fat, fructose corn syrup(a sugar substitute some countries don't even allow in their food), and are heavily processed.

As food becomes more processed and cheaper here, and exercise more rare, the same health issues will take root. The States own success is sort of their down fall.

WYK

Slow coach wrote: »
    Still no fat in coke, for the slow amongst you.

its an expression, not a literal meaning. for the slow.
    2scoops wrote:
    Do you know much about energy expenditure? Here's a confused face: Hopefully, it won't offend you too much, idiot.

yeah, quite a bit actually.

sitting around may burn off calories, but you will still have the calories from the coke.

Im not sure how cant manage to see that?

However, i do get to ban you for calling me an idiot. nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Hmm... now here's a crazy thought chain:

Public displays of affection are regarded as varyingly acceptable depending on the attractiveness of the people doing it (more attractive = more acceptable).

Overly obese people are usually regarded as unattractive.

Passionate kissing is supposed to burn quite a large amount of calories/unit time.

Should obese people kissing passionately in public be more acceptable on the basis that at least they're perhaps trying to lose weight?:D

Advertisement