Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recomend a Bike

Options
  • 16-01-2008 4:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

I have 1000/1500 to spend on a bike.
    Here is what i want...

Mountainbike
    Hardtail
    Good quality disc brakes
    Good quality shock
    As light as posible
    Good light strong rims
    Comfortable riding position
    I posted here before asking about hardtails/full sussp...have since decided on a hardtail.
    Sugest the best bike for this money and a good shop(Dublin,Wicklow,Wexford area).
    Are HAlfords realy a NO NO? they seem good value.
    Anywhere selling off good '07 stock at reduced prices?
    Cheers guys;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Canyon cant be beaten as far as bang for buck goes.

www.canyon.com

I have the grand canyon 8 and have found it amazing
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/index.html?b=118

I think shipping was around 50quid and time between order and delivery was two weeks - The came up trumps on warranty aswell, I snapped my rear mech on spin number 2, whcih they promptly replaced no questions asked.
    - Only thing I have changesd was to run UST.

You would be hard pushed to find the spec of any of the grand canyon range for similar money..

Re:Halfords, I wouldnt want to open a can of worms but I would rather eat barbed wire than buy a bike from them.
    Hope this helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

hed rather eat barbed wire that save a load of money..........:confused:
    but yes go to cyclogical, they will get you somthing tasty for that cash, look at the kona kula!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Kona - Its my own personal preference... I would rather buy from a reputable online or bricks and mortar dealer that has a proven customer service track record, than from somewhere like halfords.

Yes halfords have some very competitive prices but they have very questionable customer service standards and a poor track history ( especially carrickmines) two things which I personally look for when choosing a retailer...again its different strokes for different folks and if the op was looking for all - out value with no regard for service then Halfords might be an option for him.

fair enough.:D
    but its my personal preference to save money, id rather save €300 than spend it extra for customer service!!:D
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Cheers lads,
    On the topic of Halfords....I know the story with them...been in Carickmines loads of times and always felt like nobody was in charge, or staff didnt know the basics, however...if they arew cheaper...who cares
    A waranty is a waranty...if they cant honour it....get yer money back.
    the kona Kula looks good...might see how much Halfords will do it for.
    Anything else i should be looking at?
    How do you rate Cube or BeOne?

• Advertisement

just a word of advice regarding warranty.
    certain things are covered, mainly if there is a fault with the materials, OR the shop who put it together didnt do it right which resulted in parts breaking(eg gear limits not being set)
    if you damage the bike yourself, eg puncture then that isnt warranty.
    youd get a 2007 kona kula for a good price, just ring the shop before you go up to see what the stock situation is like:)

Cheers Kona.....dont wory, been around bikes long enough not to worry about minor faults or breakages.
    Back in the day i used to clock up huge mileage on my OLMO and Peugeot MTB (when mtb's first apeared on the scene) :D
    Trying to get back into the cycling again...hence the new bike.
    Was in Halfords today to have a gander, had a look at the Boardman bikes...they seem quite good....whats you guys opinion on them?

Still realy havnt decided on either a hardtail or a hybrid...reason being...i love off roading but like the idea of training on the road on a hybrid....decisions decisions...:confused:
    Id love to get both :D
    More sugestions greatly appreciated.

Anyone got any more options for me???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

Try the cycle superstore in Tallaght. The LaPierres in there are excellent value. Lots of top end MTBers in Ireland are riding them these days. They also have a good range of Giants, which are also an excellent brand with an excellent frame warrenty.

Forget about a hybrid if you want to use it for any kind of mountain biking beyond the forest car parks. A hybrid will give you all the fun of neither type of cycling (But makes for a very practical commuter bike).

1500 will get you a really good hardtail MTB.

Cheers Enduro,

Anyone have any experience of the Boardman bikes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Specialized Rockhopper is another choice.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86113

For complete ease of use, you could get two spare wheels with thin slick tyres on em, and swap them when you want to go on the road for training. If the front shocks lock that would help too, dunno if the ones on the above rockhopper do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dancecatz

if your looking Cyclelogical are having a sale, some very good prices on Treks and Kona`s, even the 08 models

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dancecatz

Or if you looking i have a semi new one forsale , 20" alloy mtb frame brand new, Rock Shox Reba sl forks used twice, New xt front + rear mech, Xt disc brakes, Mavic crossride wheels with xt cassette used but not much wear, weights 25 pounds, little pup €1400

Advertisement