Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I buy a new car for OMSP?

• 16-01-2008 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi All, I am buying a new car after July. It's a BMW currently listing at 50k but I found out through the revenue website the open market selling price is 44.5K.

Should I be able to buy this for the omsp in a straight deal?

Didn't vw get into trouble a few years ago for having a low omsp on their cars, But when the tax man tried to buy one they only got the standard vw issue 750 quid off.

so just wondering if anyone in the know could share some insider info.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Short answer, no.

AFAIK, the OMSP is a convention used to calculate things the Revenue needs, like benefit in kind and VRT.

Think about it - if OMSP is generally calculated as RRP minus 8%, and you want to buy a car for OMSP, then you're assuming that car has a profit margin of 8% or greater.
    More importantly, because OMSP is calculated the same for basically every car, using it as a method of working out what you'll pay for a car assumes that every car brand (and model within that brand) has a similar profit margin.

In reality, the Open Market Selling Price is what you are prepared to pay for the car (in agreement with what the seller is willing to sell the car for).

Go to the dealer, agree a price that you think is good value and that the salesperson thinks is a reasonable selling price. What more could you need?

Advertisement