Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tooth Extraction

• 16-01-2008 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,

I have to get atleast 4 of my wisdom tooth (at the very end of the jaw which are useless) extracted and one tooth root canaled may be. I have a dental coverage from VHI (not sure what it covers though).

I am new to the medical system here in Ireland and so needed some help about these questions
    1. Does one have to go through a GP to get an appointment with a maxillofacial surgeon?
    2. What will be the approximate cost of such a procedure - tooth extraction and root canal?
    3. Any recommendations of good surgeons for such a procedure?

Looking forward for the replies..
    Thanks so much in advance!

Cheers,
    TheHegdes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You'd only need to go to a maxillofacial surgeon if the teeth were in a dangerous position, but this is very rare. You would obviously have to be referred by your dentist if this was the case - a GP has nothing to do with teeth!

I think it is anywhere between 2-400 euro per wisdom tooth extraction in Dublin anyway.

As a matter of interest - why do you need all FOUR removed? Have they erupted yet? Are they causing you pain or likely to get infected?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭thehegdes

Hi Moderator,

Thanks for your response.

I do not have a dentist here yet. May be I need to find one first around Dublin 14.

I visited my regular dentist this time when I was visiting my home town. After inspection, he suggested that I get all FOUR of them extracted as they had started to decay. Also, he said that as the teeth were still intact the extraction would be easier now than when they have decayed completely. So, wanted to get this done ASAP.

Also, one of my tooth might need a RCT done. That was why I thought a maxillofacial surgeon might be a good option.

Please let me know your opinion.

Cheers,
    TheHegdes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

Hi thehegdes,

If you go to your dentist they will refer you. Usually they will take an xray and depending on how curved your roots are they may do the extraction themselves or refer you to a consultant (happened in my case)

VHI will cover the op and you can also claim something back through PRSI if you dont have the correct VHI cover.

I had one wisdom tooth out at the dentist - 120 (was fully out). The other 3 I had removed private and cost me 1500...well the VHI

Root canal - not sure

Hi Damalo,

Thanks for your inputs. Sorry, but what about the VHI.. is the message incomplete?

If you don't mind, can you please pass on the contact number of your dentist?

Thanks,

Cheers,
    TheHegdes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

Sorry...I meant it cost the VHI 1500

I'm based in Galway so dont know if this is of any use?

• Advertisement

ok.. so you could claim all that from VHI?

Yeah, I am based in Dublin; so don't think Galway contact is of any use to me.

Thanks anyways for your input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

No you can only claim from the VHI if you have the additional dental plan, and iirc you can't claim on that until you've been paying into it for a year (which is stupid, I know).

You wouldn't need a surgeon to do a root canal either. Just go to a dentist. Can your friends or work colleagues not recommend a dentist to you?

Thanks Moderator,

I will talk to my friends and colleagues and get this info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Had 2 wisdom teeth removed today at the Hermitage Clinic beside Liffey Valley SC in west Dublin (bottom and top teeth on LHS). Top one was out in 10 seconds as they're the easier ones the consultant told me. The bottom one was a stubborn little yoke and it took 20 minutes to get him out (came out in pieces).

Total price of extraction was €872.53. As I'm Plan B Excess with VHI, they covered €172.53 of that (round of applause for VHI :rolleyes:), so I had to shell out €650.

Sitting here up to my eyes in Nurofen Plus hoping the bleeding will stop soon. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i didnt read all the replies BUT

im currently bed ridden after getting my wisdom teeth out on tuesday so maybe i can offer some advice

i was refered by my dentist september 2006 and had to wait 9/10months for a public appointment as there was a mix up about me going public or private anyway it got sorted and i went private with cliff beirnes in the northbrook clinic in renaleigh

this was covered under vhi plan b for me. it was a very fast and efficient process i went in for 8am and was under anasthetic at around 10.30 and was ready to go home at 12.30(and they had 4 done before me and four done by the time id left) you will need someone to pick you up after the op.

i was refered to get all 4 out but he said that he was going to leave one on the bottom as it hadnt given me any trouble yet and it was very close to a nerve.

so its3 days after the op and the swelling started going down today i hope to be in college on monday and i have a checkup on thursday with the surgeon. this costs 70 euro and is not covered by the vhi

my dentist said that alot of dentists have decided to stop taking wisdom teeth out now due to the risk of damaging nerves so more than likely when you visit a dentist here you will be refered to the surgeon it is almost a 2 year wait for the actual surgeory if you go public

edit; as far as i know the whole thing cost around 3K and besides the 70euro checkup it was ALL covered by vhi plan b

edit 2; the top ones do not hurt AT ALL but the bottom one is absolutely killing me

• Advertisement
Advertisement