Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus/NTL price hikes

Options
  • 16-01-2008 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

I just got my Chorus bill, with the increased rates included, which was nice of them, and also the leaflet explaining why the rates had gone up from January.

Are they allowed to do this. Should the leaflet not have been included before the price increases were made? /rant:(

PS - I know the leaflet said they advertised the increase in the national media, but I never heard about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I've always wondered this too. We only have a basic NTL package (don't watch much tv) but the last 2 times they have increased their price their has been no prior warning, just an increased bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

I'm bloody sick of chourus I'm off to sky asap. Crap service, no channels and price hikes, no i dont work for sky but the mates have it, only the whole telephone thing putting me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Not the first time they've done it tbh. Getting f*cked off with them too now, Sky are no better. Think I'll get in this one off 200euro sattelite and be done with the pair of them.

Oh and Chorus's customer service used to be excellent before this whole UPC thing. Now its takes 20 minutes to get through to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

el dude wrote: »
    Oh and Chorus's customer service used to be excellent before this whole UPC thing.

When I read this I thought you were joking? I have only been a Chorus customer for about a year, but before UPC I found them really bad. Since UPC arrived my experience is that they have improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

I see they're changing their prices in July http://www.upc.ie/pdf/PriceChangesJul08.pdf
    and what's the story with this non-direct debit charge for existing customers ? I don't pay by direct debit and I'm not charged for this and I've been with them since they were cable link -anyone know why I'm not charged this fee ? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

I'm bloody sick of chourus I'm off to sky asap. Crap service, no channels and price hikes, no i dont work for sky but the mates have it, only the whole telephone thing putting me off.

Sky will send you a preprogrammed card if you don't have a telephone line. And at €22 a month for standard package it saves a hell of a lot on chorus.

Actually just saw the new July 08 charges and they have obviously sufferered a lot of switching to sky. The MMDS servcie (for non-cable areas) has dropped from €32 to €26. - Might be tempted to join back cos the downside to sky is the way the channels are listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

A little off topic but Brenda Power on Newstalk is to have a representative from NTL on tomorrow morning to explain their sh*te customer service. Brave man/woman they are. It should be worth a listen (that's if they show up).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

CO19 wrote: »
    I see they're changing their prices in July http://www.upc.ie/pdf/PriceChangesJul08.pdf
    and what's the story with this non-direct debit charge for existing customers ? I don't pay by direct debit and I'm not charged for this and I've been with them since they were cable link -anyone know why I'm not charged this fee ? ;)

The charge for non direct debit customers is not detailed on your bill but if you re-calc your bill based on the published prices you will find you are being charged, I over pay by €2 every bill so I'm always in credit and I don't pay the charge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

el dude wrote: »
    Not the first time they've done it tbh. Getting f*cked off with them too now, Sky are no better. Think I'll get in this one off 200euro sattelite and be done with the pair of them.

Oh and Chorus's customer service used to be excellent before this whole UPC thing. Now its takes 20 minutes to get through to someone.

Just press '1' for the SALES dept, always answers instantly ;) and ask for the deparment you want. 9 times out of 10 they pop you through and put it down to a call centre thing.
    CO19 wrote: »
    and what's the story with this non-direct debit charge for existing customers ? I don't pay by direct debit and I'm not charged for this and I've been with them since they were cable link -anyone know why I'm not charged this fee ?

Tell me about it...€40 is bad enough for broadband (although at 12Mb I can't really complain) but €46 just beecause I don't have phone with them as well? By all means reduce the price for a bundle but don't add a stealth charge ffs.
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Might be tempted to join back cos the downside to sky is the way the channels are listed.

What, the SkyGuide? I find that much better than UPC's, which is tacky at best tbph.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Are they required to obtain approval of price increases from a regulator ?

I tried querying an increased bill from NTL for an elderly relative going back to September 2007. All e-mails ignored totally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

bmaxi wrote: »
    A little off topic but Brenda Power on Newstalk is to have a representative from NTL on tomorrow morning to explain their sh*te customer service. Brave man/woman they are. It should be worth a listen (that's if they show up).

Did anyone else hear this? They didn't have the balls to show up! They issued a short statement saying they have 600,000 customers in Ireland and they receive very few complaints. What a lie!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Trampas

eth0_ wrote: »
    Did anyone else hear this? They didn't have the balls to show up! They issued a short statement saying they have 600,000 customers in Ireland and they receive very few complaints. What a lie!

That's cause they can't get through to complain ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

you can pay an extra €38 to get connected to sky without a phone line and their basic package is €20 a month for more channels than chorus are offering for €36/month!

i presume if you downgrade completly and switch to sky they will still charge the €10 Downgrade admin fee?? that is a bit irish to charge people who wish to reduce their service and bill probably because they cant justify paying so much for such a bad service!

Advertisement