Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico: Yah OR Nay

Options
  • 16-01-2008 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,120 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Feedback on here seems to be mixed, I'd like to here from current and ex Perlico users.

They seem to be cheaper than eircom. Do they enforce caps, what is the customer service like? I have heard stories that if something goes wrong you are at the mercy of eircom.

Thanks in advance lads

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I believe the only enforce caps when yoyu take the piss,

As with any ISP ala BT, Digiweb, etc they all still hjave to deal with Eircom Wholesale when something goes wrong on the line, it sucks but its true.....similar setup for ISP's in the UK dealing with BT :)

My experience with Perlico has been very positive, I'd recommend them, however if you plan on downloading alot I'd recommend against there smaller capped products and get the higher capped one's

• Registered Users Posts: 40,120 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Cheers for the reply Cabaal.

Perlico are 51.99 a month opposed to eircom 60.99 for similar packages. Eircom have higher download cap by 8 gigs. 30 quid connection fee and free wireless modem.

From my reading of Perlico you have to pay 50 for the wireless modem and 50 connection charge, so thats 70 more than eircom.

Also the house in question just got a phonewatch alarm (in the last month), do you know if it is standard for them to use foresight and have this compatiable with any future broadband install. As it states on the eircom website it cost 85 or with another provider nearer a 100 to get the phonewatch compatiable with bb.

So perilco are 9 euro a month cheaper, but with the extra costs, the higher cap and the possibilty of a faster fix from eircom if something goes wrong, Eircom are looking the better option. What do you reckon?, thanks again mate.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Boggles wrote: »
    From my reading of Perlico you have to pay 50 for the wireless modem and 50 connection charge, so thats 70 more than eircom.

Thats true, however if you have your own equipment you don't have to pay any activation fee or modem charge, least thats what I did :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Cabaal wrote: »
    Thats true, however if you have your own equipment you don't have to pay any activation fee or modem charge, least thats what I did :)

If you pay the 50 for the modem they waive the connection fee. If your not downloading too much then Perlico might not be a bad alternative to the big bad Eircom ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭koura

I switched to Perlico about 2yrs ago, initially for cheap phone calls to
    USA, Australia and New Zealand.
    A 29.16 min call to Australia €3.98 inc vat.
    A 20:15 min call to USA €1.88 inc vat.
    These are some from this months bill.
    Perlico Free Talk anytime €32.00 per month inc vat, this gives you line rental + free local and national calls. Two catches if you stay in the phone longer than 60mins they start charging per min so you hang up and ring again and you have another 60mins and so on.Its great for people living outside "The Pale" (01)(Government agencies).
    Second catch LoCall numbers are charged per min, so get the 01 number.

Perlico customer service advised me on the above!!!!!.

Using their Broadband service for the last year.
    Broadband costs €17.00 per month inc vat.
    1mb speed and Always On Broadband. You have a monthly download limit of 6GB, and you have unlimited time online.
    By the way Perlico use a LoCall number 1890 353535, so if you join them use email to contact them and they are very good at ringing you back.

I think they have better offers until the end of January 2008.
    http://www.perlico.com/bundles/freedom1.aspx.

They used to charge to enable your line for broadband €50.00 if its not already enabled. I don't think they charge for the modem??.
    Also Vodafone now own Perlico so hopefully they might have cheap calls from Perlico to Vodafone users in the future????.
    You will have to setup a direct debit to pay your bill (I use credit card)
    They will email you on a monthly baisis to say you bill is due and this gives you time ( about 10 days) to check the bill, if you have an issue with the bill email them and query it. I never had an issue with their billing.
    Be patient when they are switching over, your current supplier will not make it easy. They don't like loosing business.
    Hope this helps.
    Koura.
    By the way I don't work for Perlico.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭boardsy

And what about speed, does it seem close to what's advertised? Any connectivity or drop-out issues?

Advertisement