Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posting Styles: Aligning

Options
  • 16-01-2008 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so people can be pretty picky about other peoples use of grammer, punctuation etc and it can be more of a pain in the hole to complaints than to read the offending post.

Over on the Paranormal Forum yesterday we had a thread were the OP's post wasnt the easiest to read but thats hardly a hanging offence - the responses to him were (in most cases) about how he posted and not what he posted. A ban was even handed out when one poster decided he had the right to throw abuse at the OP.

Dont get me wrong txt spk is a bit annoying but what about people who just dont follow all the rules of the english language?

Anyway now for a question to my fellow Boardsies - how would you react to my posts if I posted in the style of the following 2 examples?

And mods, would y ou ban me from your forums for posting in either style?

Style A:
    Over on the Paranormal Forum yesterday we had a thread were the OP's post wasnt the easiest to read but thats hardly a hanging offence - the responses to him were (in most cases) about how he posted and not what he posted. A ban was even handed out when one poster decided he had the right to throw abuse at the OP.

Style B:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I don't think I've ever come across anyone mad enough to right align their post.

Centre can be very irritating for large blocks of text, but it's not a banning offense as it can be fixed very easy.

A block of text that has no punctuation or is full of text speak isn't so easy to fix.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Maybe I'm not awake yet, but I'm seeing fuk all difference between style A and B

/edit
    Not awake then.
    Didn't even notice the right alignment thingie... :/
    I did however notice a few spelling mistakes and a lack of commas... Not bad enough however to hang, draw and quarter you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Sober?

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Maybe I'm not awake yet, but I'm seeing fuk all difference between style A and B

You're not awake yet... or you have a small browser window.

Centre can be very irritating for large blocks of text, but it's not a banning offense as it can be fixed very easy.
    Fixed? Are posts that are centred or right aligned considered broken?

• Advertisement

You're not awake yet... or you have a small browser window.

Small window, it hides neatly behind the accounts package I'm supposed to be working on... :D

6th - bite me

6th - bite me
    And then what? Sit around waiting for you to call? I don't think so, I've been hurt before.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

TBH, given a large enough block of text, you wouldn't really notice the difference between right justified and centered.

Txtspk and poor grammar and punctuation is what annoys me the most. Some mistakes are acceptable, but a whole block of text without caps or punctuation is too hard to read.

6th wrote: »
    Fixed? Are posts that are centred or right aligned considered broken?

It's irritating to read, then yes. It's difficult to read text that flows from right to left. So unless there is some brilliant reason for it to be that way then the poster should expect to be asked to change it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Small window, it hides neatly behind the accounts package I'm supposed to be working on... :D

6th - bite me
    Ha, I do that too, the accounts thing that is, not bite 6th.

And for goodness sake 6th, its grammar. Where did you go to school?

Edit, on topic, neither of those styles bother me, but disstyledoeswhen i cnt B bovvered wit capitalsr fullstops orspacin r evenspelinan i jst rant onandonaon.

• Advertisement

It's irritating to read, then yes. It's difficult to read text that flows from right to left. So unless there is some brilliant reason for it to be that way then the poster should expect to be asked to change it.
    Its not like its written backwards so its still reading left to right. BTW I am not saying that perfectly acceptable to change the alignment, just wondering about peoples opinions on it.

KtK wrote: »
    And for goodness sake 6th, its grammar. Where did you go to school?
    Tallaght.

Slow day for you today 6th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Unless its txt spaek I dont mind; heck I've posters who type in bold for no apparent reason :-/

Centered I find easier to read than right justified however and I'd prolly advise a poster to change it for make glorious benefit of forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Tallaght.
    Yes, that is annoying.

Slow day for you today 6th?
    A little, I mean I have plenty to do but this seems like such a worthy cause - beats all the other "Banned from X Forum" threads, for me anyway.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I wouldnt ban you but equally I have no idea what you posted in this thread because I skipped your posts...

Soz...

DeV.

It breaks the flow of the thread and makes it difficult to scan down through it.

Whats the point in having a right align/centred option?

So come on, who would ban me if I started to right align all my posts? I really have no intention of doing it, I get few enough christmas cards as it is!

• Advertisement

Why have it in a word processor?

They have their uses... but they are being used for no reason then they can just be disruptive.

It breaks the flow of the thread and makes it difficult to scan down through it.
    So?

A little, I mean I have plenty to do but this seems like such a worthy cause - beats all the other "Banned from X Forum" threads, for me anyway.
    And to those that post in black coloured font - I'm not reading your post as it's invisible on the Cloud theme. Why you would force your text black, I have no idea, it's rather silly imo.

So?

Reading a thread should be made as comfortable as possible. Overly large sigs are also disruptive and I'll edit them out if I think they are making the thread difficult to read.

Gordon wrote: »
    And to those that post in black coloured font - I'm not reading your post as it's invisible on the Cloud theme. Why you would force your text black, I have no idea, it's rather silly imo.
    People are weird, well some people. Can you read this Gordie La Forge?

Reading a thread should be made as comfortable as possible.
    Then I need a better chair!
    Overly large sigs are also disruptive and I'll edit them out if I think they are making the thread difficult to read.
    Interesting sigs distract me from threads to, we shouldnt be so fussy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Reading a thread should be made as comfortable as possible. Overly large sigs are also disruptive and I'll edit them out if I think they are making the thread difficult to read.

if the poster has something they want to say, making it difficult to read will only affect the poster because people don't read what they have said. I havn't read any of 6ths posts on this thread because I couldn't be arsed moving my pupils slightly to the right just to read (I assume) how deadly he thinks boards is. So, really, he's only hurting himself. I have no problem with that.

tbh wrote: »
    if the poster has something they want to say, making it difficult to read will only affect the poster because people don't read what they have said. I havn't read any of 6ths posts on this thread because I couldn't be arsed moving my pupils slightly to the right just to read (I assume) how deadly he thinks boards is. So, really, he's only hurting himself. I have no problem with that.
    I do think Boards is deadly btw. Anyway I'm not hurting myself by right aligning in this thread because thats the point of the thread. The question is would you ban someone from a forum for posting in this manner. Even though you may choose to just ignore the posts would you ignore the posts from other Boardsies who would take a thread off topic by complaining in thread about this style of posting?

I wont try it out in any other forum/thread as given my reasons for doing it, it would just be trolling.

I dunno.

is this

anoying to you?

or could you read someone's post if they posted

like this??

It's just text

right? Isn't it?

if I see someone post in a w

ay that breaks the flow of the

thread I get annoyed or ignore their post

Slow news day methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I do think Boards is deadly btw. Anyway I'm not hurting myself by right aligning in this thread because thats the point of the thread. The question is would you ban someone from a forum for posting in this manner. Even though you may choose to just ignore the posts would you ignore the posts from other Boardsies who would take a thread off topic by complaining in thread about this style of posting?

I wont try it out in any other forum/thread as given my reasons for doing it, it would just be trolling.

if enough people complained, I'd ask the poster to post normally, unless there was a reason for aligning it to the right. If anyone complained on the thread, I'd ask them to report it, same as for any other back-seat-modding type comment.

Advertisement