Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posting Styles: Aligning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Oh, btw, right aligned text features are also used for certain right aligned languages/scripts such as Arabic. Not sure if people post in Arabic on this site but we have the option to cater for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ok well I'm greatful for the opinions I have received so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

6th wrote: »
    I do think Boards is deadly btw. Anyway I'm not hurting myself by right aligning in this thread because thats the point of the thread. The question is would you ban someone from a forum for posting in this manner. Even though you may choose to just ignore the posts would you ignore the posts from other Boardsies who would take a thread off topic by complaining in thread about this style of posting?

I wont try it out in any other forum/thread as given my reasons for doing it, it would just be trolling.

I'd probably edit the post and send the user a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

**As long as you don't end up posting anything backwards, I'm happy ;)

(http://digitalpbk.blogspot.com/2006/11/fun-with-unicode-and-mirroring.html)

Edit: dang, my trick didn't render properly :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

thread
    stupid
    a
    is
    this
    ,sorry

I was debating with myself as to where to put the comma. What do you think?

• Advertisement

I like the comma where it is.

Thank you for posting, faceman.

faceman wrote: »
    I was debating with myself as to where to put the comma.

Who won?

Anyway I'm bored with this thread now. It did its job though, its lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

This thread hurts my eyes.

I'm going to ban some poor innocent to see if we can get a good old fashioned "fight da powah" thread going. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Who won?

Anyway I'm bored with this thread now. It did its job though, its lunchtime.
    Tough, it's here to haunt you for eternity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I'd probably ban the user for the site and delete are their posts. But that based on a sample set of one so far...

In all seriousness I think right align is great. It makes stuff easier to ignore.

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote: »
    Tough, it's here to haunt you for eternity.

I could try bust it? Bustin' makes me feel gud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

IT certainly has it's functions.
    it woudl be one way of telling the differences

between the different voices
    in a person's head and who it is that
    it typint this time but it certainly

has it's flaws due to the fact that
    sets the limits two three voices or
    opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Actually that could make posting in parrots normal fun again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Well it'd get on my tits. At first i thought 6th was posting blank posts because you automatically read from left to right. I had to re-read the thread.

However, if someone is stupid enough to align their text right then missing their posts probably isn't causing me too much harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Sober?

Btw, stuff like that I take a really low opinion off. Just who the fuk do you think you are exactly?

Boston wrote: »
    Btw, stuff like that I take a really low opinion off. Just who the fuk do you think you are exactly?

Don't like it? Report it. report.gif

I think it was taken as the joke it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

And to those that post in black coloured font - I'm not reading your post as it's invisible on the Cloud theme. Why you would force your text black, I have no idea, it's rather silly imo.

Probably to get away with calling you a dick. :)

OT, I wouldn't ban someone straight away, but I would ask them to use proper alignment and font. If they ignored the request, I would probably ban them for a couple of days.

As for back seat modding, I don't see a problem with one or two people pointing out that txt spk or whatever is irritating (in a polite way), but I'd draw the line at continuous abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

It's irritating to read

Are you sure thats just the alignment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

ZING! oh no you dih'nt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

I am with terry on this one as regards text speak. Hate the bloody stuff. Especially if they also combine it with half a page type with only commas or no breaks.

As for typos, well i type fast and will often not double check so i cannot complain about others spelling.

If they made an attempt at grammar and the meaning of the post was clear then its fine by me.

But continued dat, cud, wud, and all that crap will get a warning then i will remove the posts or if its the OP delete the thread.

As for the alignment meh it is ok

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

What "job" was that 6th?

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    What "job" was that 6th?

DeV.

It gave me a good selection of opinions from regular users about how they feel about the topic.

Seems like then respond by either ignoring it or giving a little warning, all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lovely first post from someone, centered, big, green and fonted.

biko wrote: »
    Lovely first post from someone, centered, big, green and fonted.

I like it. The subject of the post was dodgy but if he (or anyone) posted like that regularily would that be cool?

Biko, you're a stickler for the sigs so how do you feel about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

does it really matter?

I mean at the end of the day, does any of this actually really matter?

tbh wrote: »
    does it really matter?

I mean at the end of the day, does any of this actually really matter?

No of course it doesnt really matter, I mean when have you ever seen a life or death thread on feedback? I had a query and its been addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

And to those that post in black coloured font - I'm not reading your post as it's invisible on the Cloud theme. Why you would force your text black, I have no idea, it's rather silly imo.

Yep full agreement....and that really goes for any colour change. It's pointless. Noticed that it's usually the same people doing it all the while too.

As for alligned posts? Few if anyone even uses it...like others I didn't even see what 6th posted in a few pf his earlier posts so I just zoomed on by. Maybe a nice way to hide a smart remark.
    Unparagraphed blocks where people just type and let wordwarp do it's thing are generally ignored by me as well...which is a shame, because perhaps it was interesting but I'm not going to screw over my eyesight just to see what you had to say.

Txtspk; I can live with small doses, but I'll happily abuse people for over using it...I find that even if they have a coherent point or argument, that the format they've chosen to express themselves in, displays a lack of smarts or a lack of thought for other readers, so I'm more usually dismissive of the poster. Again, that's a shame.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I have seen life and death on these forums. So yes, some of this matters.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

One Wish
    If I had one wish it'd be for 6th to cha-ange.
    Because I think that all the boardsies are in pain
    All the joy in the world, from sea to shining sea
    Doesn't mean a thing, if 6th is posting free
    I just can't be very happy, that's certain
    Not as long as the boardsies are hurtin'
    Oh, won't you search your soul and find a way to change?
    That is my one and only wish.

i66280_OneWish.jpg

• Advertisement

Care to explain what you mean by that?

You want me to change coz people aren't happy with me? ... explain all the fan mail so?

Anyway:

If I had one wish it'd be for 6th to cha-ange.

Really? One wish and you'd wish for that? Me thinks you need to look at your life a bit. Off to PI with you.

Advertisement